PDA

View Full Version : Jazz2 problem!!

White Rabbit
Nov 26, 2001, 01:15 AM
I've got a little problem here. Jazz2 seems to be locking itself up when I host a server. I mean, it locks itself up for a couple minutes/seconds and in that time, I can't do anything with the game. It's very annoying and I dunno what the problem can be. Plz help me! Btw, the problem only happens when I host servers, not when I join them.

Cheers,

White Rabbit.

Krezack
Nov 26, 2001, 02:07 AM
hmm so it lockas up then unlocks? well this happened to me on ym old comp and it was either because my lvl had to mani ani's or it was to big. So try it out on different levels ok?

White Rabbit
Nov 26, 2001, 07:24 AM
Hmmm...that makes sense... thanks Krezack, I'll try it out. :-)

Violet CLM
Nov 26, 2001, 12:27 PM
Actually, I believe that happens when two or more people are downloading level and/or tileset from you at once. Maybe one could do it as well.

Spaz Boy
Nov 26, 2001, 03:53 PM
Hmm...on which version? 1.23 or 1.24? My suggestion:
Download Alberto's listserver .exe patch. (Backup your old .exe though) and try running JJ2 then. No, I'm not telling you to download this for the listservers, though that could be the problem. Built into the .exe are the default list.jazzjackrabbit.com and mail.godgames.com, so that if it picks one of those and not jazz.logicware.com (which it won't until it tries both of those), it could be locking up due to malfunctions in dead listservers. Also, the main reason I said download it, is that it is the same ol' .exe file with that one change. Therefore, if your .exe file has gone corrupt, it will fix it (hopefully). ^.^
(BTW It isn't warez since the program won't run without the other files ;))

~SB

Krezack
Nov 26, 2001, 10:18 PM
um so sending jcs to people is warez...oops but if you dont send the ini file it wont run so its technically NOT warez.

Disguise
Nov 27, 2001, 03:46 AM
What Unknown Rabbit said is right. You're hosting a level with a tileset, and if people download it you will freeze up, if too many download it your Jazz 2 will crash completely. Try uploading the level to J2O so that more people have it. Not unfinished versions though, if you want to test something then ask a handfull of ppl and make a private server. Not much more can be done to stop this really.

Newspaz
Nov 27, 2001, 08:08 AM
Try to get Alberto's server list into the jazz2.exe thing..

Krezack
Nov 27, 2001, 09:54 PM
UH ive d/led about 1000 tilesets over all 3 of my comps over 3 years and not once have i had that problem (when it freezed no one had joined so it can't be the tileset) strange..anyway white tell us what fixed it.

White Rabbit
Nov 29, 2001, 07:40 AM
Hmmm...none of your suggestions seems to work. It cannot be the tileset or the animations cause I've tried on battle1 and 3 and the problem's still there. But I've noticed that the problem often occurs when I'm typing something or when I've just finished typing something and pressed enter. But...maybe it's because I'm playing TSF in windowed mode cause I always have to stop and chat with ppl on Messenger and ICQ. What do you ppl think?

Krezack
Nov 29, 2001, 12:08 PM
lol ok tell us your connection and system stats.

It's most likely that you don't have enough memory or you have a bad graphics card, i have icq open aswell and im fine so....however messager programmes do chew up alot of memory

Spaz Boy
Nov 29, 2001, 02:18 PM
It could be that your internet connection is breaking up when users are downloading from you. Jazz2 is weird and downloads the level no matter what into your cache folder. Try hosting a private server, where the other user has put battle1.j2l and castle.j2t (or whatever it is called) into their Cache directory. Since these will be the same, it *should* not download, and just connect and join. If that solves your problem, then it might be that users cannot download from you. (If you are using a router and have freed ports, are 10052-10054 free? These are necessary.) It could be that you have a firewall which thinks people are trying to hack and is trying to stop them which messes JJ2 up. (If you have one, try disabling it for a second.) Also, run Jazz with the spy window open (Use xJJ2 or use Start-->Run... and type in | "C:\Games\Jazz2\Jazz2.exe" -spy | [Or whatever your directory is.] To get it off do the same thing but with -nospy.) Anyway, use the spy window and write down everything that you see. Then, when it crashes, see if you can determine anything from your spy window. If you don't know what it means, then post it here, and we might be able to see if it is your Jazz or something else. Also, have you tried reinstalling? (Not sure if that has been told)

~SB

Link
Nov 29, 2001, 03:03 PM
Ahh....hmmmm

I have had that exact same problem many times in the past

It always freezes just as I press enter to type chat text, except the music is still playing perfectly

Just to let you know about my stats:

Pentium III 500MHz
128MB RAM
Diamond Stealth III 32MB Video Card
Shaw Cable (formerly @Home) Internet

And I don't believe for one second that it is due to my system stats or two people downloading at the same time or any other connection problems or computer problems. And it always happens just after I type some chat text

I think it is just one of the many numerous bugs that will be fixed in 1.25

Spaz Boy
Nov 29, 2001, 03:58 PM
The chat thing that Link said happens to me, the music WILL NOT STOP but Jazz crashes. It only happens sometimes though. White Rabbit, another suggestion to you is to get rid of all the startup/background programs and then try it. You can't ever have too many free resources since Windows (which IS a virus in a nutshell) hogs up the majority of it.

White Rabbit
Dec 4, 2001, 07:27 AM
It could be my internet connectin since it's ntl... (it completely sucks) but I did notice that the problem often occurs when I'm hosting big lvls like Scraper City or when there are loads of ppl in the server. BTW, I got 128mb of memory so I think that is enough?

Alberto
Dec 4, 2001, 01:43 PM
Actually I know what problem you're having, it happens when people downloads tilesets from you, since they're so big and the game locks up, the answer is to get a faster connection and good computer, it's something normal.