PDA

View Full Version : Is the netcode incomplete or something?

Kaz
Nov 26, 2001, 08:32 PM
Does anybody ever notice how pings are very high, servers are very laggy, SNES emulators over the net run faster and if you run netstat the connection is TCP?

Is the netcode incomplete or something? I think it is and is there anyone out there that could complete and implement bit on/offs instead of bytes?

Haze
Nov 27, 2001, 01:40 AM
>Does anybody ever notice how pings are very high, servers are very laggy, SNES emulators over the net run faster and if you run netstat the connection is TCP?

Pings and lag all can be very high depending on your geographical location. Besides, Jazz players are scattered all over the world which isn't good for your ping. :)
SNES emulators run faster because all they transmit are the keys being tapped (as a second joystick input). Jazz transmits way more than just key-taps.
As for TCP/IP, what else did you expect? :)

>Is the netcode incomplete or something? I think it is and is there anyone out there that could complete and implement bit on/offs instead of bytes?
It's not incomplete but it ain't optimal either. Maybe (big maybe) we could do some things when the source code is released. Other than that, you'll just have to live with it. ;)

Krezack
Nov 27, 2001, 02:18 AM
well hes hardly going to die with it :)

Disguise
Nov 27, 2001, 03:39 AM
The Jazz 2 net code really is bad. I have about 350-450ms at default and suffer some major lag.

In Aliens versus Predator 2, I get a higher ping (500-600) but it plays a LOT smoother and faster. I'm an alien, and that means that you actually have to run up to someone and hit them, not nice if you have lag, but I STILL manage to do it. Heck, it's even a FPS game, and it's supposed to lag like crazy compared to JJ2 (just think of the extreme amounts of info an fps game needs).

Oh well, there's your lesson of the day, go buy AvP2! :D

Newspaz
Nov 27, 2001, 11:24 AM
Actually, I think the play uses a little of TCP/IP. But mostly UDP..

Kaz
Nov 27, 2001, 06:45 PM
Actually I checked with Netstat today... ethier it's only becuase I connected to people with DSL, because some people's DSL lines don't allow UDP, but all the connections were TCP.

I don't think the source code is coming out =\, let's make jazz 1 multiplayer! =D