PDA

View Full Version : 1.25: backwards compatible or not?

FQuist
Nov 27, 2001, 06:33 AM
In the 1.25 threads many suggestions are given which make this new jj2 version incompatible with older versions. See what problems this gives with 1.24 and 1.23.. a split community. People who don't have or know about 1.25 are left out.

Pros about backward compatibility:

- People can still play against eachother. Levels are interchangable.

Cons:

- Many things can not be fixed/added, which makes 1.25 very hard to make. Less features possible.

Solution:

- Can it be done that the server tool tells < 1.24 people that they need to get the patch?

On a side not, can anyone of the 'developer' access the 1.25 forum? It's kind of silent there.

Link
Nov 27, 2001, 10:35 AM
There should be a "back-emulation mode" or something like that. That way you can kind of do both.

FQuist
Nov 27, 2001, 10:41 AM
Good idea, but that probably would be very complex to make..

Ice M A N
Nov 27, 2001, 10:47 AM
I'd prefer not to. Really really prefer not to. Back-emulation would be too hard probably, since I don't know if we have skilled enough programmers to pull that off once a number of changes get made...

Syntax
Nov 27, 2001, 11:14 AM
I don't think there should be back-compatibility. The new version should be advertised in multiple places, maybe even in an idle server for awhile. About the difficulty of doing so...it really depends on how it is done, but you can always go back to 1.23/1.24 if you see an open server that is out-of-date (and tell them to upgrade! :)).

Haze
Nov 27, 2001, 11:41 AM
Implementing backwards compatibility isn't a snap, but it should be possible. However that idea about alerting ppl using pre 1.25 versions is catchy. But how?
An idea would be to have a 1.25 server send a 1.20 (!!) level containing a text such as:

"Your version is outdated! ;) Please get an update as soon as possible. You can get it from the following locations:"

Adding backwards compatibility in theory is kinda easy. Just turn off all the NEW options upon connecting to an older server. But what's the fun in that? :)

Haze
Nov 27, 2001, 11:46 AM
BTW I've never gotten a reply to my request for joining the "v1.25"-forum. :)
At least some sort of reply would be neatto.

FQuist
Nov 27, 2001, 12:02 PM
It's possible, but it would make the code complex anyways.. imagine the flag bug.. you fix it, but have to switch off the fix in the old versions.. if it's becoming incompatible.

I'll add you, Haze. I'll add you too, Link. I've got your private message.

Added you both.

Btw, the 1.20 level sounds good. One can always make a fake 1.20 server prog too..

Spaz Boy
Nov 27, 2001, 03:11 PM
Very good. Here is our main set back. The animation file from TSF reads like this: 9.15 MB (9,603,914 bytes). Therefore, it would have to be at LEAST that size. Then, when you add in all of your other stuff, and more, you get around an 11 meg file (or less maybe). So there is the main set back I see: SIZE. Also, look at this problem: if we upgrade the sound system and have to patch all the music files, there it goes up to 15 megs. I think that unfortunately, they will have to be seperated unless someone can figure out a handy dandy way to compress that file a ton. (BTW Windows zipper does no compression...) Even if we were to come up with a way, we still have to contact Dean about Lori's copyright(s). So, I say yes still. Unfortunately, this means a large download, plus more editing.

~SB

Monolith
Nov 27, 2001, 04:56 PM
I don't think we should limit ourselves to backwards compatability. It would be best to have some sort of notification to upgrade, but I don't know how we could impliment that since it would have to use some function that 1.20-1.24 already has. Perhaps it could be some sort of blank level with only a message in it..

<SMALL>It seems that I have lost access to the 1.25 forum since the JCF switched to vBulletin..</SMALL>

Kaz
Nov 27, 2001, 06:38 PM
There's a 1.25 forum besides this one?

Hmm... isn't the dat file mostly animations?

Disguise
Nov 28, 2001, 02:23 AM
I don't want it backwards compatible! :(

There are LOADS fo bugs that need fixing, and ignoring them would be a big pain. Why not just install an extra 1.23/1.24 version and tell some d00ds to download the latest patch :D

FQuist
Nov 28, 2001, 05:30 AM
<font size="1">Everyone's 1.25 access has been restored. There was a bug making it not work, but it's fixed now.</font>

Haze
Nov 28, 2001, 05:35 AM
Okay, so scratch backwards compatibility. I think the "pre 1.25 notification with a 1.20 level"-idea is the best way to go. Besides proper advertising, of course. :)