PDA

View Full Version : Site Distributing MegaWarp

Link
Dec 21, 2001, 04:44 PM
It has been brought to my attention that a certain JJ2 site is distributing MegaWarp. In particular, the "X Clan" site. Does anyone know how I can contact the maintainers of that site? (Terminator and Ace)

Also, I have heard that the JOL clan has been giving people the address for this site. Is that true?

Krezack
Dec 21, 2001, 05:14 PM
Well yes and no i dont know wether its JOL or just roseta but at least one person in the clan is spreading it (roseta i think) and if you talking evil ace or ace uoi....he quit jj2 ages ago ill give him an icq and ask him to remove it.

Txl Kill
Dec 22, 2001, 02:43 PM
I say we just shutdown the site!

KRSplat
Dec 22, 2001, 06:44 PM
<s>Really? What's the address?</s> :p
You sound so... like... and angry business manager. "It has been brought to my attention" is so... um... well, definitely not like me ;)

Spaz Boy
Dec 24, 2001, 07:52 PM
It is true. You could get this shut down by it's host because it has warez on it too. I'm going to be very vague about this for obvious reasons. Anyway, yes, the clanleader of JOL was giving this link out to people who were in JOL. I also had previous reports of Roseta giving out another bad program to JOL members. I was told this by herself actually. If someone would like more information on this to do something about it so they can do something (no, I'm not going to give this information to anyone) ICQ me via 125926085, AIM me via a shadowy guy, or MSN me via spazboycc@msn.com.

And, I do have witnesses. No, I'm not going to post their names here.

EDIT:
Link, I have an email address for Terminator X. It's a Hotmail account that he used for MSN Messenger...and I think he still gets on MSN when I'm not around. (His name appears to chanage.) If I see him [online], I'll notify you.

VelKa
Dec 24, 2001, 08:19 PM
I've seen some JOL distributing MW before. I have heard of a site but do not know the address. I will not go any further into this.

$tilettø
Dec 25, 2001, 12:45 AM
if theyr hosting on geocities(probaly) just tell it to them and they will take it down..

defalcon
Dec 25, 2001, 04:50 AM
Er...Link...I hope Krez. told you how easy it was to find the site with Megawarp. It took me less than 10 minutes.

ShadowGPW
Dec 25, 2001, 05:33 AM
we need an antiecheat program like PunkBuster..they scan for external cheat programs

defalcon
Dec 25, 2001, 05:40 AM
There always is Project Cataclysm, but that is somewhat limited.

Cpp
Dec 25, 2001, 09:09 AM
I hope I'll be able to upgrade project Cataclysm to kick if you don't have it like punkbuster. I just need to learn packet editind and winsock controls first :P

~SPLASH~
Dec 25, 2001, 09:14 AM
That is called "forcing people to enter your site and get a high counter rating and a lot of downloads" :P j/k

No really, I don't think that is such a good idea, because there are alot of people on Jazz who do not know about the community, and never visit any of our sites. They would kept being kicked all the time :D

Link
Dec 25, 2001, 05:08 PM
I have contacted Geocities\Yahoo about the warez on the site, and they said "Contact the publisher of the product and let them decide whether to take action".

Right...

But I guess since I made MegaWarp, I hold the copyright, so maybe I'll try contacting Geocities about MegaWarp and say that I don't want my program distributed on that site. But first I'll try contacting the site owner (Spaz Boy, could you give me the contact for Terminator X over ICQ please?)

$tilettø
Dec 25, 2001, 11:38 PM
you can type in a search engine "MegaWarp"

it will find the site where it is hosted too if im, not wrong

Cpp
Dec 26, 2001, 10:56 AM
I tried searching but I found nothing :P

Hellraiser
Jan 7, 2002, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure if you already know, I was too lazy to read ALL the posts. but I have the links:

[Don't post warez links please. Next time you get a warning]

Link
Jan 7, 2002, 07:21 PM
!!!

Who in their right mind would post that!

DON'T SHOW PEOPLE WHERE TO GET MEGAWARP!!!

VelKa
Jan 7, 2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Link
!!!

Who in their right mind would post that!

DON'T SHOW PEOPLE WHERE TO GET MEGAWARP!!!

Gahh, this is insane. Report that post to a mod and ask them to edit it. Please, stop distributing MW without Link's permission, you people... =/

EvilMike
Jan 7, 2002, 08:40 PM
Just don't distribute it, with or without permission. MW is evil, and not the kind of evil I am.

Electric Ir
Jan 8, 2002, 03:43 AM
Megawarp is EVIL not eViL !!!!!

They also distribute full TSF there! I knew that the site existed, some n00bs told me that they downloaded it at the Clan X website!!#@()!#)_(#!@

Stijn
Jan 8, 2002, 07:03 AM
Link, if you don't want megawarp to be published, why did you give it to someone else once? You must have done that, because how will anyone else get MW? :P

Krezack
Jan 8, 2002, 08:28 AM
maybe because he was a newb back then?

VelKa
Jan 8, 2002, 09:01 AM
Newbie? Are you kidding? Link may/may not have known how un-trustworthy these folks are.

Look, if you want MW <b>ask Link,</b> not someone else.

Link
Jan 8, 2002, 10:37 AM
Well don't ask me...because I won't give it to you! :p

But yes, it was partially a mistake on my part how it got distributed. I had originally given it to three people to test it, and those people were fine. They did not distribute it, because I gave specific instructions not to.

However, I then proceeded to give it to one more person, who I did NOT tell not to give it out... and the rest is history. If I had been a better programmer and more mature when I made it, I would have realized that it was a cheating tool and I would have at least put in a password or a challenge\response thingy or something.

But alas, I didn't, and now it has made a big impact on the game and the community. However, there are some good benefits. It has made people more aware of the consequences of cheating, and I think that there are now less memory hackers who are using their skills for evil purposes. It also sparked J2HG, which wouldn't be around if I had not given a few people some of the source code for megawarp.

BTW, thanks Fquist, for removing the links.

Krezack
Jan 8, 2002, 09:53 PM
Yes velk its true, link was once a newb to jj2.

Txl Kill
Jan 9, 2002, 02:46 AM
lol not when he made MW he wasnt! he made MW when he and Kirby used to hang out all the time and me and Spazzy made Programs to clone Kirby and others : ) (never released tho)

Krezack
Jan 9, 2002, 03:26 AM
Did i say he was? When i said he was a newb back then i ment he was a newb to the jj2 community NOT jj2, that means he didn't think of the consequences of his actions much like eagle with his self destruct programe.

Phoneix
Jan 13, 2002, 01:53 PM
Thank god I don't have the install...

(I have the program but I don't have the installer though, So it evens out here...)

Yes, Everybody HAD to be a n00b sometime.

Link: There's that screen at the end of the program that tells the user that you made this program, so that's enough to let them know that "Hey! This is not their's, it's Link's!" and they'd quit the clan but keep the software, altough it's basically not much use without (The now Extinct and rare) Overlord.exe or any other Level Depassing software.

And link, try making a MW2. Don't poo this right away, but listen to me. Make each one personal for the person, and then have a PID in it and if you get two PID's that are the same, go and shun the person that got it first and ask for the route it took to get to that person. Spiffy Keen, eh?

P.S., I know this is off-topic, but make the programs that you make boxes, it's much easier to use them than the masked ones (i.e. Chatlog).