PDA

View Full Version : How can you convert MP3 to MOD?

Trazz
Dec 22, 2001, 06:29 PM
I need to know how to do this because I want to listen to my own music while playing JAZZ. If any one knows where to download a program to convert MP3 to MOD, it would help me alot

JanusJackrabbit
Dec 22, 2001, 08:04 PM
You might try Modplug Tracker.

Haze
Dec 23, 2001, 04:13 AM
We should create a FAQ about such questions as these. :)

First, try searching the archives of the forum. Your answer should be there. If not:
Secondly, forget it. Why? Modules, as supported by JJ2, can only handle uncompressed samples. MP3 is higly compressed, decompressing it mostly results in a file ten times as big. You CAN put it in a module but the file would still be insanely big and JJ2 would simply refuse to play it (I don't know what JJ2's file-size limit is).
You COULD decrease the quality of the sample and thus the file-size of the module, BUT you'd wind up with a horribly sounding file.
Now, there ARE module-formats that support MP3 compressed samples (e.g. MO3, which also supports Ogg Vorbis) BUT JJ2 does NOT support these types of modules.

Yours,
me ;)

Michael
Dec 23, 2001, 06:12 AM
Just play it in Winamp.

Alberto
Dec 23, 2001, 06:16 AM
You can convert a MP3 to a S3M or to IT files, but it will be so big and Jazz2 won't play it.

To do it just convert your MP3 to a WAV, then load it on ModPlug Tracker and convert it.

Easy, but it won't work because of the size.

JZBlue
Dec 27, 2001, 07:58 AM
That's not exatly true, I have a very good (O.O yesh very good) program that can downsample songs very well. It will keep the quality fair, and cut away massivly at size. Also, if you mix the stero channles and merge it into mono, you've cut the size down by half and lost barely anything. I'm not sure what converting from 16 to 8 bit will do since I haven't ever tried it, but I'm sure that would help too. : ) And if anyone needs dat done.. feel free to ask me.

(The software I use is Cool Edit Pro www.syntrillium.com ^^)

Alberto
Dec 27, 2001, 08:39 AM
I know but then you lose music quality, and it sucks.

JZBlue
Dec 27, 2001, 08:41 AM
Oh C'mon! Barely any!.. I sware... The worst I've ever had to compress somethin for jazz is getting it down to where it sounds like a crystal clear FM radio station... which isn't bad at all

Haze
Dec 28, 2001, 04:35 AM
Cool Edit Pro is a fairly good program. Mixing the channels down does help. 16bit to 8bit conversion would surely help and wouldn't cause that much audible damage.
From there it's just a matter of "taste", whether the audio file is still good enough to use. But that's a personal thing, of course. :)

Some math:
MP3 of about 3 minutes -> WAV of about 30MB (roughly)
STEREO 30MB -> MONO 15MB (roughly)
16bit -> 8bit 7MB (roughly)

All the math depends on the original file size, of course. So you CAN get acceptable sizes. But still the best way to go is to use tracked music, not MP3.

JZBlue
Dec 28, 2001, 08:13 AM
And the sample rate's? ...MP3s are generally around 48000, to 44,100 SPS .. You loose space on the down conversion to say... oh.. 22500.. or even 11025 if it'll work..
Cool Edit Pro's only competition in the market is Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge which doesn't support Multiple tracks.. so I'd think it better than fair. I hope you weren't thinking I meant Cool Edit 2000 or the old Cool Edit.. that happens to me alot ( x_X go figure)

( Anyway ^^ kewl there's another sound er.. o.o; person into it all lol )

JZBlue
Dec 28, 2001, 08:16 AM
I just realised something glancing back up at your message when I posted... well more like realised something I wanted to ask

Do you know if it's possible to track your own music? Because I could definatly record my music in seperate tracks.. and that sounds like it'd work really well..

(I mean save it with multiple tracks)

Haze
Dec 29, 2001, 03:29 AM
Depends on what kind of "track" you mean.
If you mean "track" as in tracker-music (as used in JJ2) the answer is: yes.
Links to check out:
<A HREF="http://www.modplug.com/">ModPlug</A>
<A HREF="http://www.united-trackers.org">United Trackers</A>
<A HREF="http://www.traxinspace.com">Trax in Space</A>

If you mean "track" as in track-recording or sequencing (as used in studios) the answer is: yes.
Links to check out:
<A HREF="http://www.soundtrackers.de/">Maz Sound</A> (browse through the utilities)
<A HREF="http://noerror.scene.org/index.php?search=seque&software=1">No Error - search on sequencers</A>
and many other free software sites.

However, the latter form of music is not (directly) usable with JJ2, if that's your goal. Enjoy! ;)

JZBlue
Dec 29, 2001, 06:05 AM
Oy!! I was testing out things I'd recorded for Jazz2, and it won't accept anything that's above 2 Megs x_o and I tried the multitracking things and I didn't like it so much, thanx for your help... Oh yea.. it's also better to record at a low sample rate and do hiss reduction than record at a higher one and sample down.. just on another note

( ALRIGHT! IM FOR AN MP3 PATCH! or even some kind of streaming technology for the music on levels )

Alberto
Dec 30, 2001, 05:34 AM
I already said that I think.