PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone in this world not an idiot?

Spaz Boy
Dec 27, 2001, 03:42 PM
:p

I was curious on a date about the JJ2 source code release date, so I went ahead and emailed them. This is the reply I got.

Dear SpazBoy,

Thank you for your interest in Lost Boys games and in Jazz Jackrabbit. I have passed your request onto Arjan Brussee, our Technical Director. Arjan worked at Orange games, the creators of the Jazz series, and he will be able to let you know if it will be possible for Lost Boys games to release the source code for this game.

Regards

Nancy

Uhhh....what happened to it being released? :p

And this is from 11/28/01. Do you think I'll ever get a reply? Cuz I don't.

~SB

JZBlue
Dec 27, 2001, 05:53 PM
..If you want, I could send you the entire debug sheeet (if you know ASM) ..I have the full version of DASM..

Cpp
Dec 28, 2001, 12:04 PM
ASM code is useless to us. We need the SOURCE code.

defalcon
Dec 28, 2001, 05:35 PM
What are the odds they're actually gonna release it? First we were told we'd get it when things 'die down'. JJ2 'died down' when Unreal was released. Phtooy to Epic.

$tilettø
Dec 29, 2001, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by JZBlue
..If you want, I could send you the entire debug sheeet (if you know ASM) ..I have the full version of DASM..
you cant do anything with that you can only see what it uses and what errors u can get

Derby: Content edit.

Krezack
Dec 30, 2001, 08:50 PM
......what about jj1? its freeware...anyone asked them about the source code for it?

JanusJackrabbit
Dec 30, 2001, 09:18 PM
Maybe epic will release the source code when they stop making money off of Jazz2.

JZBlue
Dec 31, 2001, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by $tilettø
you cant do anything with that you can only see what it uses and what errors u can get

You can also, basically map out the program.. and get something like the source code in ASM.. you can also patch directly to programs with it so nyah

Newspaz
Dec 31, 2001, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Krezack
......what about jj1? its freeware...anyone asked them about the source code for it?

Only the shareware version can be ditributed freely. The full version is not Freeware OR ABADONWARE (!!!!) as thought by many of you.

ElectroPiZZa
Dec 31, 2001, 05:20 PM
On the contrary, JJ1 is not freeware. JJ1 is still being sold by a division of Epic, namely "Epic Classics", and various third-party vendors and online software websites still carry it in stock. However, Epic Classics sells a lot of games which are considered freeware, such as OMF 2097, ZZT, etc. So, in short, the registered version of JJ1 is still non-distributable.

Krezack
Dec 31, 2001, 10:42 PM
Ah i see thanx for clearing it up.

Kaz
Jan 2, 2002, 11:27 PM
But I thought it was up for download somewhere on epic's site for free for a time.

Violet CLM
Jan 3, 2002, 07:51 PM
What exactly do you want JJ1's source code for? Making levels? Actually, it is completly possible to make as many levels as you like in JJ1 with any tileset you like. It just takes an amazingly long time, so I wouldn't advise it unless you're trying to become really cool. :p

Spaz Boy
Jan 3, 2002, 09:33 PM
THIS IS FOR THE NORTHAMERICAN VERSION OF JAZZ JACKRABBIT 2 NOT THE EUROPEAN OR OTHER VERSIONS

JJ1 was supposed to come with JJ2 (for the American Version) but instead you got a little note that said OOPS WE MESSED UP CALL TECH SUPPORT TO REDEEM YOUR COPY or something along those lines. When you called they gave you an FTP user/pass to download JJ1. However, the tech support was provided by G.O.D. Games (DEAD OR ALIVE, TELL ME PEOPLE, IS IT STILL HERE OR HAS IT POOFED), and the area code was actually 214 (which happens to be located right chere in Dallas.) This number is now dead. I remember calling a while back and hearing them mention a number change. The website still says the old number. So, no more JJ1 for those unlucky people.

If I remember correctly, I think you were supposed to read out of your manual.

Anyway, I tried this number several times just a bit back for some other people and myself. I never got through and KRSplat tried (his first out of two calls to my area code, I'm sure you can guess where the other one was to. ;P) and couldn't get through either. The other number listed on GOD Games website is Talon Soft, which is also a dead number or is/was for me.

Downloading it warez is still illegal even though you "deserved" your copy.

But, you could probably email Epic (try webmaster@epicgames.com, I heard that works) and ask them about it. They might just give the user/pass to you. Just mention you have a scanner and your manual, and you could scan it in to them. (If you don't have one or the other or both, just ask someone else...we all know that ALMOST everyone bought the game.)

And please, make the admins' lives easier, don't (if you know it) post the user/pass here. The admins WILL edit it as you know, and it is a waste of their time and would be a good way to get a strike for the ban road.

~SB