PDA

View Full Version : Avatars...

Shadow XZ
Feb 16, 2002, 07:20 PM
OK. I've been thinking, why isn't there any Avatars on this site? I know the custom thing is out, but why not have a choice to pick from? Or is there a certain reason why we can't use avatars...?

defalcon
Feb 16, 2002, 08:08 PM
Their reason is it slows down the site. But you could put in an option to 'View all avatars' or something. WOuldn't that help?

Phoneix
Feb 17, 2002, 03:53 PM
I already posted about this.

This is my idea: Have the avatars be on other servers so they don't clog up the BBS memory. Then, we limit those pictures to 50x50 pixels or something like that or about maybe 21kb of memory on there.
This would do three things:
1)Have more personalisation for the people since we cannot express ourselves any more than our location, bio, and signature.
2)not clog up pages in loading for 56k's like me. This works perfectly on ezBoard, why not we do that here?
3)We can see who posted what at a glance since everybody has a different avatar.

Get my Idea?

Wild Angel
Feb 17, 2002, 05:10 PM
Some av's are just plain annoying, in my oppinion. I'm glad we don't have them. It makes the board look neat and clean. ;P

Phoneix
Feb 18, 2002, 09:37 AM
The only way this bourd should be clean is by Derbism (The art of the Edit :lol: )

I really think avatars would look Rux0r spiffy

FQuist
Feb 18, 2002, 11:45 AM
The admins are talking about this..

Michael
Feb 23, 2002, 04:06 AM
WildAngel's right, the onlything un-clean now is diffrent coloured signatures :lol:

Wild Angel
Feb 23, 2002, 07:14 PM
Yes, but atleast they are grouped...
Avatars, all though, put too many images on the board. Some people might disagree with a avatar, and many people use the 50x50 pixel animations.
Sure, some people might disagree with someone else's signature, but it doesn't bother you as much as an avatar. I don't know what I'm trying to say... o.0
You can know who a member is instantly by what else? They're name. I believe that's quicker than definining who's avatar it is out of a possible 100. o.0

FQuist
Feb 25, 2002, 09:00 AM
You can turn off avatars in the user options.. perhaps we could make it default to off. The people that want to see avatars change that.

I am not saying yes, there are some coding issues related to avatars.

stripe
May 30, 2002, 09:16 PM
Since monolith seemed disinclined to start discussion in a new thread, I'm reviving this one. I say: Avatars are good, images in signatures are bad. But I have signatures turned off anyway- any signature that is longer than the post, actually, any signature longer than 2 lines, is imho ridiculous.

stripe

JJ BBoy KS
Jun 8, 2002, 04:13 PM
Then how 'bout custom rankshttp://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/icons/icon5.gif :D

(Oh. Wrong topic. :p )

ßúññ¥€lmérTbtCC
Sep 4, 2002, 11:36 AM
wel wil avatars be enabled (PLEASE! )
with option: vieuw avatars: yes / no

FQuist
Sep 5, 2002, 05:55 AM
How many times do we need to say no? :eek: Just read past topics. We said no. It's not even working on our server.