PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys come up wit names for characters?

SpeedyGPW
Apr 16, 2001, 06:51 AM
I'm a good writer, but I can never come up with good names. Any suggestions?

Ducky
Apr 16, 2001, 07:06 AM
D'you mean you have characters already, but you can't think of names?

Uh..well first off this is PROBABLY Misc, but I don't really know. If Night Fire pokes his nose in here we can ask him(what a dumb moderator, huh :P).

Second, um, get a baby name book, or a California phone book.

Slam your fingers down on the keyboard a few times and rearrange the letters...Take a name and turn it backwards..

Uh.

What are...your characters like, if they exist?

Lots of people on here can come up with good stuff..

IS it misc?

Kepp it in mind. I don't know. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

`Ducky

-~Blizzard*~-
Apr 16, 2001, 07:54 AM
Simple, Put some time into it, I combined names from Dragonball Z to get one of my characters nicknames, and stole some others from games, or just use yours, like Speedy the great!

Tanpopo Kiku
Apr 16, 2001, 08:38 AM
Speedy is the name of my rabbit, to let you know.

I'll give some of mine, but you'll have to ask me for permission to use them:

First names:

(F)Smellveeta

(M)Speedy (like your name)

(M)Hyperion

(F)Nelthilta (from Watership Down, by Richard Adams)

(F)Hyzenthlay (also from WD)

(M)Ganemyde

(F)Sakura

(M)Thlayli (from WD)

Surnames:

Harez

Firez

Botan (Japanese)

Fiery

Purr (not that original, but I use it)

You can use foreign words also, if you know some.

-~Blizzard*~-
Apr 16, 2001, 08:41 AM
Watership down!

I LOVE THAT BOOK!!!!!

Wild Angel
Apr 16, 2001, 01:05 PM
UUUmmmmm.....

I used Aslan, heh.

Wild Angel
Apr 16, 2001, 01:05 PM
UUUmmmmm.....

I used Aslan, heh. Oh yeah, and Seigel but that one is being used in the near future.

Violet CLM
Apr 16, 2001, 03:51 PM
I'm writing a story with Harri and Loony.

Tanpopo Kiku
Apr 17, 2001, 08:35 AM
Some others (first names):

(F)Velvet/Velveeta

(M)TechnoBot

(M)Tubbs/Sparky

(F)Eleusia

SpeedyGPW
Apr 20, 2001, 12:09 PM
You guys remember the RPG that Roaster started? I mixed the letters in my name (Ross Byrd pronounced [bird]) and got Rysid Bors...?

Tanpopo Kiku
Apr 20, 2001, 03:38 PM
Look in a mythology book for more names. Or check out folk tales.

They have like two million of them, and also that's how I got Hyperion...I love that name...

Grath AR
Apr 21, 2001, 08:08 AM
Hey. I took my names from books (Arawn from the book of three series and Grath from PoL (Pearls of lutra by brian jacques))

*BlackSheep
Apr 21, 2001, 10:17 AM
I make my own names up, there should also not be so normal, because they aren't HUMAN, you know. My charas now are Riot and Darren, plus Jauna, but that's just evil. ASK KOVU!!! He's brilliant at this stuff!!!!

*Black

Ducky
Apr 21, 2001, 01:53 PM
Yes, ask the great story-teller. I like the name Larue, and Rumer is fabulous but..how about Reven? Or..wasn't that a sequel to something? oh, no, that was rIven. Okay.

I like names that start with L.

Mwaha.

OKay, that was a useless post :P

`Ducky

Kovu aka Alec
Apr 21, 2001, 02:03 PM
Here are a few:

(mwaha, great story teller...mwaha)

Diare(M)

Zepen(F)

Difthyia(F)

Chekok(M)

I dunno, just some ideas.

Tanpopo Kiku
Apr 21, 2001, 03:02 PM
Plant names are good. The flower ones are good for the girls, yes:

Girl/Flower names:

Hydrangea

Narcissus

Gardenia

Camillia

Peony (Botan)

Some other plant names:

Bluebell (from WD)

Juniper

Endive

Escarole

Radicchio

Fennel

Exocia (uh, this isn't a plant name, I made it up..)

The Last Patriot
Apr 21, 2001, 03:04 PM
i start to brainstorm and 'pop' there they are

Cobra
Apr 21, 2001, 07:34 PM
www.parentsoup.com/babynames (http://www.parentsoup.com/babynames)

Go there.

I choose names that have meanings to them, like Trina means Pure, Maya means Pearl, and Fiona means White. Or, I'll take a name I like and edit it. I took the name Joel, Hebrew-ized it (Yoel) and made it girly, ending up with Yehella. Just mess around with names, it's lots of fun.

Batty Buddy
Apr 25, 2001, 11:21 AM
Que Passa!!!!

Well, whenever I make up a name for a serious fictional charicter, I use the parent technique and choose a name I would have chosen had that charicter been my own child.

In a way, after all, they are.

If its a funny, just come up with the name that best matches, or for a twist, missmatches their personality.

Ducky
Apr 25, 2001, 12:21 PM
http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'd do that too, Batty, but the names I'd name my kids are too sacred. Lol. They seem to sacred even for my KIDS, woot.

`Ducky

Tubbs
Apr 25, 2001, 01:12 PM
Wonderful, just plain wonderful. I get most of my names from Kiku.

Batty Buddy
Apr 26, 2001, 06:51 AM
Que Passa!!!!

Um... Ducky? That comment made me curious...

What exactly would you name your...

Um... nevermind... I don't think I want to know...

Coppertop
Apr 26, 2001, 12:57 PM
I take names that are common, like say Terry, and kind of change the letters around to make Tarry, and then (this is for a different story I'm writing, so don't you dare take it) I think of an ending. In my story I came up with "Tarrisyva"! Or just take names from other books.

Tanpopo Kiku
Apr 26, 2001, 02:31 PM
Then again, because I am boring, all of my names are boring! Woo hoo!

Welllll, I do have other names (Japanese ones), but they probably sound so crazy that you don't want anything to do with them.

Ducky
Apr 26, 2001, 03:16 PM
Lol, Batty. I was just saying that I love the name so much I can't think of anything marvelous enough to bestow it on. The name I speak of is Martin, which may not seem to spiffy to you all but I fell in love with. And then there are a few others but I can stand to put them on things. Like Lena.

`Ducky

Batty Buddy
Apr 27, 2001, 06:46 AM
Que Passa!!!!

It should seem spiffy to me: To tell you the truth, the name Martin has been in my family for a lot of years. (It's my Grandma's maiden name, my Great Uncle's last name, and it's also my first name.)

Also, I forgot to mention: When I come up with most of my names, I try to avoid real human names, like Tom, Mike, Lisa, and such. This is mostly because I draw funny animals, and I try to make a system for how animals would name their kids. It all depends on the species, for example, Slothes are named after states of concousness: Snooze, Comatose, Siesta, Nap, etc. Whereas Gargoyals are named after misspelled objects: Xit Siyan, Ronny Noez, Inta Net, etc.

"I seem to be the vary personafication of the rage to live- hit me, dunk me, insult me, I'll still hang in there.

-I wonder why."

-Howard the Duck

(RIP William Hanna)

Coppertop
Apr 27, 2001, 11:44 AM
Ronny Noez, indeed!

Ducky
Apr 27, 2001, 02:14 PM
Really, woot.

I usually use names that are like realish names but not very often used..sigh. I love names.

`Ducky

Tanpopo Kiku
Apr 27, 2001, 03:57 PM
I sometimes like the Latin names for things, like Lepus, Flora, and I don't remember too well what Hyperion was...

-~Blizzard*~-
Apr 27, 2001, 07:19 PM
Speedy, better take some of Kiku's names, otherwise she's gonna get depressed, and Jap names are pretty cool

Wild Angel
May 12, 2001, 09:38 PM
Kanro is my Jap name *swirls around the room*

GoldBones
May 13, 2001, 12:01 AM
Ugh Don't get me started on jap names, Nakaruu, Sukiko, hitomi,Yuumei... the list just goes on and on and on........

`GB[GpW]

Wild Angel
May 13, 2001, 01:06 PM
*points to GB* He's a pro at Jap kinda stuff, heh.

GoldBones
May 15, 2001, 02:40 AM
Dino-san is more so ^-^

`gb[Gpw]

Wild Angel
May 16, 2001, 10:53 PM
lol

GoldBones
May 17, 2001, 01:09 AM
it's twue! ^-^

$tilettø
May 19, 2001, 12:13 AM
jap Namez are very cool

Wild Angel
May 19, 2001, 12:34 AM
Alright, so maybe it is true. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

UrbanMenace
May 19, 2001, 04:38 AM
There is some stuff (like star wars) that has symbolic names, for instance "anakin" means "without parents" in some language (possibly latin)

"vader" means "father" (is that dutch?)

and "darth means "dark" (is that dutch too?)

I thought of some realistic names for my English exam, forgot them now, though, don't want to remember anything about that day http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

$tilettø
May 19, 2001, 05:14 AM
Yeh Vader iz Dutch

KRSplat
May 20, 2001, 09:05 AM
Once I used my name backwards: talpSRK. Exect it was Talps. Without the RK.

Red-Hot-Rabbit
May 20, 2001, 10:10 AM
What about... Red-Hot-Rabbit??? Or Jazzy? http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Coppertop
May 21, 2001, 02:55 PM
I get the 2nd page!

In Conquerer, I got the one good guy I added from a book (The Paradise Snare, Han Solo trilogy book one) and decided the name was too unpronounceable (like, how do you say "Muuurgh"?) so I turned to the globe. Look around the Philippines, and around South America. Some of the names are real cool, like Zanzibar http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Also, just take a normal name (short) like, say, Tom, and add a cool ending, like "boro" and you get Tomboro.

Read my story in War Tavern! I renamed it: Conquerer!

Whatever.

I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me. -Phillipians 4:13

"So what?" -Coppertop

"When Life hands you lemons, make lemonade."

Tanpopo Kiku
May 22, 2001, 08:33 AM
Another name I love to use is my own.

Lemme think, another name I like is Blackavar, from Watership Down. (My brother uses it)

Here's one more, that I used in another story, (which I haven't posted because it's too violent.) Shmelvelveita.

--Gloria N.

Coppertop
May 23, 2001, 11:50 AM
Shm- smel- what?

Coppertop
May 25, 2001, 12:50 PM
On , KRSplat wrote:

Once I used my name backwards: talpSRK. Exect it was Talps. Without the RK.

Hmmm, my name backwards is Reppoc. . .

Tobias
May 25, 2001, 03:26 PM
I bang my head against a wall and whatever doesn't sound like medicine I use. j/k

i think about the personality of the character and make a name to reflect it. though sometimes i use the former meothod(only when desperate)

GoldBones
May 25, 2001, 07:02 PM
Tabris=Sir Bat

w0000000

`GBz[gpw]

Coppertop
May 26, 2001, 04:02 PM
lol

Wild Angel
May 26, 2001, 09:17 PM
hehehe

Rumbo Rabbit
May 27, 2001, 02:14 AM
When I first invented Rumbo's name, I took my name (Russell) and mixed it with Rambo (dont ask me why) and got Rumbo, lol. If you wanna good name try mixing yours or another name with something else like I did. The rabbit part is self explanatory....