PDA

View Full Version : DoS Crash List Servers

JZBlue
Mar 15, 2002, 07:03 AM
In trying to protect Jazz I figured the best way to do that was to hit it with all sorts of attacks I knew (that wouldn't totally anhilate the list servers with no hope of return) ...and I found that...

The servers as well as everyones computers connected them are completly able to be crashed with ANY! DoS attack.

(DoS - Denial of Service)

Telling people how to do this will only make it worse
-Bobby

JZBlue) okay

RosetaLopRabbit
Mar 15, 2002, 05:57 PM
its actually possible to make it so they cant come back!?!?

Krezack
Mar 15, 2002, 11:52 PM
Well its over now - no harm done.

defalcon
Mar 15, 2002, 11:57 PM
If this is what I think it is...

JZBlue
Mar 16, 2002, 05:22 AM
Okay dizzy.. good point. x_o

But is anyone going to fix this problem?

JZBlue
Mar 16, 2002, 06:12 AM
People who want to crash the list servers are eventually going to find the flaws so in doing this we beat them to it and patch it up.

defalcon
Mar 16, 2002, 04:56 PM
Mind notifying everyone first? Or doing it when there aren't a dozen or so people playing? I typed up a rather large rant, but I'm not gonna post it. All that needs to be said, is stop messing with the listservers!

Krezack
Mar 16, 2002, 05:36 PM
I am....sorry i accused you, your statement tended to suggest you were the one doing it and i wanted people to know it WASN'T me. Can you give us the details of what happens etc without telling us how to do it?

defalcon
Mar 16, 2002, 06:02 PM
JZBlue, I've got to say I'm very annoyed. It's this simple: If you want to go mess around with stuff, do it in a way so that it doesn't effect others. I'm surprised Krezack is being so forgiving, considering all the crashes with masked ip's you did had alot of people believing it to be him. This is not a personal attack on you, this is an attack on your actions. Wanna try and hack? Do it somewhere else. Nobody as of yet, aside from you, has tried to crash the listservers. Although I've got to say, giving out all this info isn't exactly making it hard for anyone, is it. :mad:

JZBlue
Mar 17, 2002, 12:39 PM
I ONLY CRASHED THE SERVERS ONCE YOU ASSUMING ...o.p rabbits..

I said Krezack could say I did it... but that was because I knew he didn't do it.. and I didn't think he'd say it like I did it every single time... which I didn't!.. my testing most of the time lagged the servers down so don't start taking **** out on me

JZBlue
Mar 17, 2002, 12:40 PM
That's a nice fricken way to show your Support for my Protection!

Violet CLM
Mar 17, 2002, 12:50 PM
Protection? By taking down the list servers, crashing servers infinite times, causing general unrest and accusation, you protect us?

||Slim
Mar 17, 2002, 01:34 PM
you guys should chill, he crashed the servers only once, found a flaw in DOS which eventually will lead to more people crashing it.. we shouldnt make a big deal out of HIM and patch it up.

Krezack
Mar 17, 2002, 08:27 PM
Oh and exactly how could we stop it or fix this flaw/

Kaz
Mar 17, 2002, 08:55 PM
simply ask everybody to put this command in their autoexec.bat

del C:\windows\command\command.com

heh... and yeah, like some of us haven't crashed the list servers before... ... ... ... I think I did it once or twice.

Krezack
Mar 17, 2002, 11:11 PM
I haven't bothered if i was gonna crash something it would be www.zombo.com but theres no need 'cause pretty soon it will suffer the wrath of skynet as will iCeD.

defalcon
Mar 18, 2002, 12:02 AM
I recall the server crashing when there were people playing.

RosetaLopRabbit
Mar 18, 2002, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by defalcon
I recall the server crashing when there were people playing.

I think I do too..

I dont get it, whats that command supposed to do?

<Crono>
Mar 18, 2002, 11:55 AM
You can crash the list servers? cool! someone tell me how!:D

RosetaLopRabbit
Mar 18, 2002, 12:12 PM
some admin please close this topic!

Kaz
Mar 18, 2002, 03:09 PM
Erm, incase anybody is wondering, it was a joke up there and you should NOT put that in.

JZBlue
Mar 19, 2002, 11:27 AM
x_o that was definatly a joke.. I hope no one actually did that.
Anyway! Mwahaha.. if someone crashes the servers.. or they get laggy.. AIM me and I'll get them

(which is the best, it seems, anyone has done so far to keep this problem from goin BigO on the JJ2 Commun)

Monolith
Mar 19, 2002, 06:03 PM
I see nothing wrong with anybody doing that.. Might as well delete the rest of Windows while they're at it.

I haven't notice the effect described by this DOS attack though. And the main way of fixing it would be to work from the original list server source code, which of course we don't have right now.

RosetaLopRabbit
Mar 20, 2002, 07:33 AM
you shure? you mean if that happened you couldnt just start a new list server?

FQuist
Mar 26, 2002, 08:28 AM
Denial of service attacks usually require people to hack in a lot of other computers first, if I'm not wrong. You'd have to be very evil to do that..

JZBlue
Mar 26, 2002, 08:37 AM
<p align="center"><font class="nf">Not necessarily..<br>
<br>
Denial of Service attacks require some kind of chain reaction of computers
attacking one target.. sometimes not even that..<br>
Sometime someone with even a fairly high bandwidth (300k) connection can do a
DoS attack from his computer alone. And you don't necessarily have to hack all
the computers you want to attack the target, there are simple exploits that can
cause YOUR computer to attack another computer without that person having to
actually gain access of your computer.<br>
<br>
DoS basically just means that the attack causes the target to deny service to
anyone</font></p>
<p align="center">and on that note.. if anyone wants to check themselves.. here
ya go</p>
<p align="center">
<object classid="clsid:8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2" id="WebBrowser1" width="539" height="447" align="center">
<param name="ExtentX" value="14261">
<param name="ExtentY" value="11827">
<param name="ViewMode" value="0">
<param name="Offline" value="0">
<param name="Silent" value="0">
<param name="RegisterAsBrowser" value="0">
<param name="RegisterAsDropTarget" value="1">
<param name="AutoArrange" value="0">
<param name="NoClientEdge" value="0">
<param name="AlignLeft" value="0">
<param name="ViewID" value="{0057D0E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262}">
<param name="Location" value="https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2">
</object>
</p>

defalcon
Mar 26, 2002, 11:01 PM
Well like Monolith said, it'd probably take a re-writing of the source code, which we don't have. So lay off the dos attacks.