PDA

View Full Version : A tileset question

Wraith
Mar 25, 2002, 12:34 PM
Well, I,m trying to make a good tileset, but Stencil.pcx only has 120 tiles (and I need more than that.).
Could anyone tell me how to get more than 120 tiles?

~Wraith~

Violet CLM
Mar 25, 2002, 02:16 PM
Image: Canvas Size. Increase height (Y size) by multiples of 32, one for each tile. If the tiles you already made appear in the middle of the image, or at the bottom, try playing around with the "Distance from Top/Bottom" functions until you've got it right.

Slix
Mar 25, 2002, 03:20 PM
BEWARE: if you have version 1.23 or lower, as opposed to TSF (1.24), you cannot have any tilesets with 1000 or more tiles in it.
I should also welcome you to the Jazz 2 Community.

So: WELCOME TO THE JAZZ 2 COMMUNITY! ;)

Violet CLM
Mar 25, 2002, 07:20 PM
Wrong. You can not have tilesets with more then 1020 tiles. (In 1.23)

Michael
Mar 25, 2002, 10:19 PM
I usally just strech the image about 15-20 CM down then copy and paste groups of 9 free squares for drawing tiles on.
I made my own custom Stencil, about 10x25 with palette in corner for easy colour access (and MSpain users) and a textured background if I'm lzy (as usual) to do my own, I then just edit the backgroudn's colours with PhotoShop.

FQuist
Mar 26, 2002, 08:10 AM
Firstly, Wraith, what program are you using? Everyone in this community will assume you have PSP, as this is the most tileset friendly program. Download it, unless you have photoshop, and even then, download it. :)

Wraith
Mar 27, 2002, 05:54 PM
Just to inform you, I use Paint Shop Pro 7

Thanks guys.

~Wraith~

JanusJackrabbit
Mar 27, 2002, 08:20 PM
It's easier to just make a 320 pixel by some multiple of 32 image and make a grid for it.

FQuist
Mar 30, 2002, 11:08 AM
You can find the grid in the grids/rulers section of the options menu. You can turn the grid on/off with a key combination I can't remember, and in the view menu(I think, argh). Sometimes you will need to disable the magnetic option for the grid. You can find that in the menu too.

JanusJackrabbit
Mar 30, 2002, 12:01 PM
Ctrl + g I think.

Violet CLM
Apr 1, 2002, 08:01 PM
Ctrl+Alt+G

BizarrE aka Raz
Apr 2, 2002, 01:25 AM
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Tab+Enter+G

I tought that was it :lol:

FQuist
Apr 2, 2002, 08:51 AM
White rabbit is right. Ctrl+Alt+G it is. I didn't have a comp to check that when I posted my message. :-)

Wraith
Apr 2, 2002, 05:46 PM
And while i'm at it, I might as well ask another question.
How do you get more than the palette colors? You can't make a good backround with out more colors. I'v noticed that Agama uses more colors, too, so it should be possible.

~Wraith~

Violet CLM
Apr 2, 2002, 06:07 PM
You may only have a little less then 256 colors in a tileset. Or do you mean how to get more then the Sprite colors?

Wraith
Apr 3, 2002, 05:20 PM
I figured out how to get more colors today, but I'm still having backround problems. Whenever I try to make the backround warp horizon, it messes up the colors.
(It might be the computer, though.)

~Wraith~

Alister
Apr 4, 2002, 06:45 AM
Unless you are running in 16-bit mode, you need to use a specific set of colours for warp backgrounds.
These are 176 to 207 (I think). It also helps if they are a gradient.

Wraith
Apr 8, 2002, 12:58 PM
Well, actually, When the warp horizon messed up the colors, I was using copied backrounds. An epic Backround, for example, still was messed up.

And I have another problem, though it might be My stupidity and ignorance. When I made a small test tileset for practice, the usally transparent blue in the blank tiles, even though it was the same color blue as the tile on the top left, the blue wasn't transparent.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

By the way, I have no idea what a gradient is.

~Wraith~

Stijn
Apr 9, 2002, 06:10 AM
Don't use the Tileset blue color for the transparent partsn of your tilesets! That won't work. Use PURE BLACK for that. Pure black means the #000000 Black code. That will prolly work.