PDA

View Full Version : From the Eyes of a Skeptic

SteelTalon
Apr 23, 2001, 04:51 PM
First off, I'd like to state my position on Possum. I've been a skeptic and a critic of it since the initial idea, which was actually quite a while ago. I never thought it'd be completed, let alone have a publisher accept it.

Now, here's my view on it now.

Game Looks pretty good (I can't believe nobody thought of "5D" earlier, I always envisioned "5D" too), but I'm still skeptical in some spots. Is Single Play going to be enjoyable, and (*gasp*) challenging? Will we have slope-walking enemies? Some decent AI, maybe a boss that chases you around the whole level, leads shots, and predicts some of your moves (say, a psuedo-Jazz? Darn copyright infringments ;))? How about mini-games, like racing a kangaroo or something (ooh, a boxing kangaroo could be an early boss)? Will multi-play be as solid, with a easy menu to boot? Also, MOD capability is a MUST. That's the biggest reason JJ2 "died". Of course, include Assault, CTF, Treasure (could go under a different name), and Battle. There's not enough information for me to adequately comment here.

Editor RuX0rs. Enough said. =)

Story I'll be quite frank now. The story sucks. The least you could do is make a somewhat-immersive storyline, with an animal and his attire appealing to all [ages]. I personally hate the idea of a possum in the game as the "hero". It just feels wrong. It's like a farm animal, except it's not livestock (which are quite cool, actually). Kinda like having a rat as the [main] character. I don't know why, but it just gives off the feeling of ugliness (yes, I know Mario wasn't that pretty ;P). And the shades gotta go. Maybe for multiplayer, but, whatever. =P Also, the sprite should be remade. All the screenshots I've seen look like he was made in MSPaint (not to mention he's overly large, but I understand that's being taken care of).

Marketing Okay, okay, so we aren't planning on putting ads in magazines just yet. I didn't know how to properly state "Publisher-Getting" on the fly. =P Although now I would doubt you not finishing the game, I'm still quite skeptical about getting a publisher, not because the game isn't good, but because it's 2D. There is quite a bias against 2D, even though it is "5D" (BTW, I think that engine should be called "2>3accelerateD", or something. I don't like the idea of the 5th dimension, because the 4th dimension is time. It just seems weird, like to make up a dimension (I get the odd feeling of god-likeness)).

Conclusion This game has came quite a while, but there's still a bit of a haul left. I, personally, will probably not play the game unless there is a at least a slightly better storyline, and a sprite editor. I cannot bear to use Skitch over multiplayer (especially when I can use a Jazz or a OMF bot, or even a ST (could it be? That would rux0r!)). =P

Also, a JJ2>Possum level converter would also rock, but I am quite skeptic that could be achieved, let alone pass through copyrights, etc.

Offer I wouldn't be a good critic if I was completely destructive. I offer my <strike>ruX0r</strike> skills at HTML, levelmaking (how in the world are you going to make 100 single player levels, with the multiplayer maps too?), creativity, and story writing if they could help. All I ask in return is my sprite editor. =P

MetalWarrior
Apr 23, 2001, 06:41 PM
Hmm... interesting :) I think you were a bit harsh on some things, but I can see where you're coming from. Maybe it'll help if I explain a couple things:

5D

Well, it didn't really have anything to do with "thinking of it". We had thought of it a while before we switched to it, the problem was technology. When DirectX8 came out, it greatly simplified things and made it a much easier option to switch too. Also, about the name... we didn't make it up. It's just generally known (at least among the VB gaming community) as 5D. :)

Skitch

Sorry pardner, methinks Skitch is here to stay :) I personally really like him, and judging by the crazy video game characters we've seen in the past (remember the Sonic games? A hedgehog? An echidna?) I don't think most people will mind. Besides, being a Possum lends itself to certain abilities... (play dead, perhaps?) Wait until the new story comes out and then make up your mind. Which brings me to...

Story

Well... I'm not sure what anybody but the team really knows about the story, except maybe that Skitch Possum is the good guy and some Weasels are bad guys. Trust me, it'll be better than that. We're just starting to discuss some new ideas, as well as various old ones (which nobody knows about either) on our development boards. Anyway, bottom line, the story is so up in the air right now that don't worry about it.

Sprite

Um... well, it isn't final yet, but what's the problem with it? I don't see how you could say it looks like an MSPaint creation. I guess I'm not quite sure what you're expecting... I thought he looked just as good as Jazz, altho in a different style.

Sprite editor

Yep. I'm surprised you didn't know about it already, I've mentioned it before. I had completed one, but just like PossumEDIT, it needs rebuilding. I suppose I could give you a screenie of the old one if you really want tho.

I hope that explains things a bit better. As for the offer, I don't think we're really needing level mappers yet, since PossumEDIT isn't done. Thanks anyway :)

Noraa
Apr 24, 2001, 01:24 PM
http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif...

Trust me, the new storyline is a lot more than you're expecting. Yeah. And it's even more than that, too. 'Don't believe me? I'll prove it to you!

The new storyline is:

<strike>Skitch turns evil and decides to take over the toothpaste industry with his goons.</strike>

Er... I don't think I'm allowed to say that 'till we're a little closer to a final copy :-P. But seriously, the new storyline rocks! I think you'll like it once you see it.

...DooDlyness©®...

<Strike>

Roaster
Apr 24, 2001, 01:25 PM
Uh frankly you have no idea about the story.

That's like a year old.

so plz dont assume that things haven't changed thx

SteelTalon
Apr 24, 2001, 07:05 PM
Roaster: Roaster, first of all I can't really tell who you're talking to. =P

And that is right, I don't know about the story because there isn't a story. =P

MetalWarrior: Sprite Editor? YaY! In comes my Nova! Well, for your information, I've only looked on main sites for information, not scrounging in the depths of boards and niche webpages for spanking-new info. ;P

And Sonic was a hedgehog. Hedgehogs are cool, because they remind me of porcupines, which have spiky thingies that remind me of dinosaurs, except less cheesy. And you gotta dig Italian guys, especially when they're fat plumbers. And little bunnies with big guns are just plain nifty. It just seems like Skitch has nothing original going for him, and also he's a <strike>icky</strike> possum. ;P Also, being pretty much any animal could open up "possibilities". A snake could shed it's skin to make a fake. Also, if you're going by animal "possibilities", then how is a possum going to jump over triple it's height (then again, how did a plumber do that back in '85? ;))?

And you also said nothing about my storymaking and web-paging skills. ;/

Noraa: Oh? The toothpaste one seems darn good to me. ;) Of course, it'd be better if *I* wrote it, just because I wrote it. ;P

Roaster
Apr 26, 2001, 08:50 AM
There is a story but we're still fleshing it out.

It's a good one, too.

JJ BBoy KS
Apr 26, 2001, 02:05 PM
Personally, I think everything is going totally awesome, and I think that this is a cool game! And I love the possum! (Hey, that toothpaste thing is a great story! LOL!)

SteelTalon
Apr 26, 2001, 03:47 PM
Possums are EVIL. Like chickens. Enough said.

Stijn
May 24, 2001, 03:24 AM
Hmm. Not.

I lik good story's, but the story's I don't like:

-Just a hero who haves to save the universe. That story could be, but with some more detailed (http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif) story, and not the universe, a planet, a city or whatever but something like a plastic chicken http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Just a evil guy that tries to take over the farm or something.

I Know, it's my opinion. I'll also buy possum if it uses that storylines http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BlackKnight
Jul 3, 2001, 06:29 PM
There have been games with possums before(as the main charachter)

Like Rocket Knight Adventures or Sparkster.

Electric Ir
Jul 4, 2001, 07:47 AM
Yeah, sure.. Gimme that url of that website or some pictures, so I can see if it are possums for real.