PDA

View Full Version : Signatures, getting out of hand

Another Jazz 2 fan
Apr 4, 2002, 12:38 PM
Several people have signatures these days that are WAY longer than their posts, and it is a nuisance to hae to scroll past them! Please, shorten them! Make lengthy text a small size, and make pictures small as well. I did not like the character limit of the past, but now that we are allowed to have pictures in our signatures, and there is no limit, they seem to get longer and longer. That is not what they are for, please do not abuse the privilege of having a signature.

AJ2f :mad:

Ice M A N
Apr 4, 2002, 12:49 PM
User CP -> Edit Options -> Show user's signatures in their posts? -> No

Or

User CP -> Edit Options -> Show image attachments and [img] code in Posts? -> No

Or something to that extent..

granted, there are a few signatures which are a bit long..

||Slim
Apr 4, 2002, 05:03 PM
meh signature r0x0rs. :)

Wild Angel
Apr 9, 2002, 12:46 AM
I try my best to keep mine short, but some people just insist on putting three or so images into their sigs or extending them to long lengths.

`Wildie

FireSworD
Apr 9, 2002, 07:21 AM
I see no reason for long sigs. I keep mine as small as possible.

dopeh
Apr 9, 2002, 11:25 AM
Agrees with Icey.

Just switch the mode off if it's annoying you.

Another Jazz 2 fan
Apr 9, 2002, 11:57 AM
I don't want to not see sigs, I just want people to shorten them! Long signatures seem to be a sort of fad these days!

Spaz Boy
Apr 9, 2002, 04:44 PM
I will shrink the huge HEWWO!!! :D :D :D

Down a bit. ;P

(BTW Wisety did the HEWWO!!! part and I did the smileys. Not much work from me...heh heh heh.)

||Slim
Apr 9, 2002, 05:46 PM
rotfl

Another Jazz 2 fan
Apr 11, 2002, 04:13 PM
I hope people won't view me as a hypocrit for adding on to my signature. I, for one, feel that the signature I have now is about the max length acceptable. Slim's is also fine, but any longer would be too much. An example of signatures that are too long would be those ones with the big pictures from the quizes.

AJ2f

Violet CLM
Apr 11, 2002, 10:42 PM
I used to have a signature, but something happened to it.

FQuist
Apr 12, 2002, 06:53 AM
I wish vBulletin had the option to limit signature length or image use in the sig.

Link
Apr 12, 2002, 07:23 AM
Are you allowed to edit the vB code? Because you could create a limit.

But I'm not sure if the vB license lets you do that.

defalcon
Apr 12, 2002, 08:13 AM
AJ2F, I put Spaztic's quote in my sig too. :p

JJ BBoy KS
Apr 12, 2002, 01:09 PM
Heh, how's mine? Too long?

Bobby aka Dizzy
Apr 12, 2002, 01:27 PM
Not sure Link, but the changes would have to be made again after upgrades which is also a pain.

Mystical
Apr 13, 2002, 05:07 AM
I never really thought about it.
Is mine too long?

dopeh
Apr 13, 2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Mystical
I never really thought about it.
Is mine too long? lol! too long? you almost don't even have a signature! :)

FQuist
Apr 13, 2002, 01:33 PM
I think I want a rule that sigs should be 6 lines max(including blank lines). If there's an image it has to fit in the same space.

dopeh
Apr 13, 2002, 10:06 PM
there may be a vB mod for something like that...
http://www.vbulletin.org

Another Jazz 2 fan
Apr 14, 2002, 09:31 AM
BBoy, yours isn't terrible. I think you should shrink the image a bit, though.

And 5 lines would be too short. Wasn't there a limit when the JCF first started? (A character limit). I didn't like it, because it was WAY too short, though. Maybe a char. limit, but much higher this time? Or how about something that DEFAULTS sigs to size=1?

AJ2f

FQuist
Apr 15, 2002, 08:01 AM
Then again, anything higher then that would make the sigs bigger then most posts.. I mean, you don't need to have 20 quotes in a signature cause you can put them in your bio too.

Maybe 7 lines.

FQuist
Apr 15, 2002, 08:02 AM
My problem with hacks is inconsistency. Because you need to rehack for every upgrade(think of vB3.0!) you sometimes lose the features, which causes confusion.

dopeh
Apr 16, 2002, 05:16 AM
of course the big Quistey is right....as normally.

But think...vB 3...they haven't even released the first RC!! So I don't really think it'll be ready in a copple of weeks. They're still making new security fixes to vB 2..look at phpBB 2, it took them about a half a year untill they could release the first REAL one.

Oh well...never mind :)

FQuist
Apr 16, 2002, 05:57 AM
True. Public beta coming in a month tough, according to Freddie. :)

dopeh
Apr 16, 2002, 06:14 AM
mwahoo!!! about a month already??? Dope! I think it's gonna be time to re-activate my account @ vB...:)

Razz
Jun 16, 2002, 08:33 AM
I don't mind,
I have nothing to do so why not scroll?

>>Møønßlãzé<<
Jun 16, 2002, 09:29 AM
Signatures is okay as long they aren't so huge as Majin Mewtwo's (Nothing personal).
A huge picture, or many pictures is too much, a single picture that aren't too large and might some text is okay.

DarkShadow
Jun 17, 2002, 06:00 AM
I measured it MoonBlaze and yours is the same leanth as his.

But IMHO your sig is to long & his is too.

I will have a signature soon but it will be in macromedia flash and it will have like 6 (kinda long) quotes scrolling down & contact info etc. Total like around 50 lines :P.

But the flash animation will be about 5 lines total but with the 50 lines scrolling.

I think everyone should do that :P

An example of a looonnnnngggg sig is ShadowGPWs. Nothing Personal.
EDIT: Isn't as long now.

WMCoolmon
Jun 17, 2002, 10:16 AM
This, IMO, is an example of a sig that's too long-It's 15 times as large as his post!
IMO, a sig should be long enough that you can remember all of it and would be willing to write all of it yourself. :)

Derby: URL edit. Although this is not your fault, a direct link to what happened to an edited post later on might "embarrass" a user. This would not normally happen; it is just a coincidence.

Razz
Jun 18, 2002, 12:16 AM
Dun blame shadow!
Shady rules!

And indeed Moonblaze's is as long as that of majin mewtwo,
is mine too long?

Darobi
Jun 25, 2002, 12:33 PM
HAHAHA I think i have the longest sig....

Fawriel
Jun 26, 2002, 08:29 AM
You think,huh...o_0

Another Jazz 2 fan
Jun 26, 2002, 08:56 AM
Oh yeah, another thing.... it seems to be popular now to post the results of different quizes in signatures. I am strongly against doing this, it is pointless and takes up A LOT of space! Your signature should be some writing or an original picture that is not too big. That's all.

AJ2f

DarkShadow
Jun 27, 2002, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Another Jazz 2 Fan
Oh yeah, another thing.... it seems to be popular now to post the results of different quizes in signatures. I am strongly against doing this, it is pointless and takes up A LOT of space! Your signature should be some writing or an original picture that is not too big. That's all.
I don't like those eather.

I have a suggestion,
Make all sigs with a defalt font size of 1, make the color of the sigs half way between the contrast of colors (acording to the theme).(example: White [table] backround, content black, signature grey)

That way it will be easier to notice what people are saying and now what their sig says.

DS

DarkShadow
Jul 1, 2002, 07:14 AM
All Hail My new signature!

:P

>>Møønßlãzé<<
Jul 1, 2002, 09:56 AM
Make me one like that!!!!!111111 :D

Fawriel
Jul 1, 2002, 10:24 AM
Where did you upload it?
Where did you upload it?
Where did you upload it?
Where did you upload it?
Where did you upload it?
Where did you upload it?
Where did you upload it?
Where did you upload it?

DarkShadow
Jul 1, 2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Piccolo
...Where did you upload it?...
assuming you are talking to me.....
& assuming you are talking about my signature....
I uploaded it at hypermart.net

Nadine
Sep 24, 2002, 05:25 PM
testing. Does my sig work? Is it too long?

Oh yay! It works! My first sig ever and I'm on a lot of boards!
I don't want Rockapella to be the source of people's anger, so please let me know if it's too long. ;)

Tubz
Sep 28, 2002, 11:37 AM
HAHAHAHA, I CLAIM SECOND PAGE. I OWN!!!
---------------------------------
Answer: I don't care.

Tik
Oct 3, 2002, 05:54 AM
Is mine too long? I know it is in 800x600 but that's rarely used anymore.

$tilettø
Oct 3, 2002, 06:24 AM
Nah its Fine ;p

Another Jazz 2 fan
Oct 11, 2002, 12:00 PM
I hate 800 * 600, but my parents get mad at me when I change the resolution. (On my computer I have it at the highest resolution poss., forgot exactly what size. Unfortunately, now with cable I don't have internet access from my computer.)

And it IS a little annoying to have to scroll that much. I am pretty annoyed that Win XP doesn't let you have different resolutions for different logins, like older Windows did. (And yet there are different screen savers for each user now, which weren't an option before! Stupid MS.)