PDA

View Full Version : Was Lori Put In At The Last Minute?

Nadine
Apr 5, 2002, 06:53 PM
Since I got the Secret Files and Christmas Chronicles in December, I have finally been able to play as Lori. Well, I suppose I could have downloaded the demo before... Anyways, there are some strange things about her that make me suspect that they either put her in at the last moment, or that they just didn't spend a lot of time to put her in. Don't get me wrong - Lori is cool. It's great to finally play as a girl rabbit.

First of all, Lori isn't in the intro. Where did Lori come from? Well, I'll have to check out Noogy.com, because there isn't any manual that says a thing about Lori. Then there's the menu pictures of Spaz and Jazz. They aren't made to include Lori. Then there's the character selection screen for single player. Doesn't she look different than Spaz and Jazz? Well, I know that she was animated by Dean Dodrill while Nick Stadler did Spaz and Jazz (but Dean did the cutscenes). Besides that, the overall visual look to her compared to the others is different. You can tell that they tried to mimic the look though. Her "look" when she's playable is different than the others too. But also, when you choose a character for multiplayer, her colours get messed up when you get into the game, and not even close to what you choose. Her colour mostly stays yellowish, if you try to use a darker colour, it won't blend properly. And you can't change her clothing colour.

Ofcourse she was added into TSF and CC, and these games didn't release outside Europe, and she was done by Dean Dodrill instead of Nick Stadler. I just didn't think she would get "thrown" in so cheaply like that. No intro, not in many menu screens, warped selectible colours... I just think Lori deserves better as do we since she is very cool.

Then again, I'll shut up now. They gave us a third character for no real reason which is a treat. I guess I've always got to be the annoying person who notices everything.

Violet CLM
Apr 5, 2002, 07:58 PM
Everything JJ2 related was hurried, and should have been worked on more. Get over it.

Another Jazz 2 fan
Apr 5, 2002, 08:07 PM
And they ignore all our pleas for patches. They don't care about us. :(

defalcon
Apr 6, 2002, 12:00 AM
Not in many menu screens? She was in the main 'Press Fire' screen, she's in the character select screen. Most screens she isn't in are ones from JJ2, completed before she was made. Also, not only did TSF have no new cutscenes, but do you realise JJ2 was supposed to have a different intro cutscreen?

Nick Stadler animated Jazz and Spaz and most all of the sprites with the exception of the TSF and HH addons. They, including Lori, were done by Dean Dodril. Dean is an exceptionally talented artist, although as the case with most artists, his art differs in style from Nick's. Nick has a meaner, more warped look about them, while Noogy draws them in a more 'clean', as in less rough and more cartoonish, as seen when comparing the intro pic from JJ2 to the one of TSF.

And she wasn't put in at the last minute, she was planned as Spaz's girlfriend, however, the folks at P2 weren't too bright and dubbed her as the sister. I recall seeing some concept art on J2C when TSF was announced.

Nadine
Apr 6, 2002, 12:43 AM
I don't know what you mean that JJ2 was supposed to have a different intro cutscene. I do know that the other menu pics of Jazz and Spaz were completed before Lori came out, but why not put Lori there then? Dean Dodrill did Lori animations, but why? I mean, that's cool. I like Nick's and Dean's styles. Nick's I guess I like more for the Jazz games though, since he was in at the beginning. Jazz started with Nick's style, so I think he's better suited for these characters. But obviously Dean Dodrill is awesome and really talented too. I can't help but wonder what Lori would look like if Nick drew her then.

Nick's "press fire" and box cover art for JJ2 does look "rough", but his drawings don't always look like that. Look at the animated characters in JJ2. Jazz and Spaz look just as cartoony as Lori, and Spaz is the wackiest kind of cartoony. So, Lori would probably have looked like that anyway.

I guess the way Lori was put into the series kind of makes sense since TSF didn't even come with a manual (not even on the CD), and TSF and CC were like small stand alone "add ons" to Jazz2 rather than a real sequel, and didn't release anywhere but Europe. I'm so glad I was able to get copies from Haze. And then I find out that TSF is free to download somewhere!

defalcon
Apr 6, 2002, 06:43 AM
Free to download? That's warez, and that's illegal. And yes, there was a manual for TSF, it came with the original boxed copy of TSF, not the rereleases I believe.

Instead of Jazz just blasting turtles, there was supposed to be an intro cutscene of the wedding with Devan coming and crashing it, and Jazz being thrown into jail. But it wasn't finished on time.

Another Jazz 2 fan
Apr 6, 2002, 09:27 AM
I would've liked to see that cutscene, personally. It is shown in the manual, comic-book style. Without it, the game has little storyline. In Jazz1 they had cutscenes every episode! I don't see why they can't complete so few for Jazz2.

~SPLASH~
Apr 6, 2002, 10:19 AM
Also, in-game her weapon icon looks the same as Jazz's, while she has a different gun. Yeah, she is just a cheap quick-made add-on. :(

Nadine
Apr 6, 2002, 03:14 PM
Free to download? That's warez, and that's illegal. And yes, there was a manual for TSF, it came with the original boxed copy of TSF, not the rereleases I believe.

Oh. Warez. I've heard about that and I stay FAR away from that. Not only illegal, it just sucks for the developers.

D'oh! A manual with TSF that I didn't get?:confused: Grr. I bought a boxed copy from Haze, but no manual. What gives? I automatically assumed that the lack of manual was because of the multiple languages it would have to be in. But there wasn't even one on the CD! There was for CC.

Newspaz
Apr 6, 2002, 03:20 PM
Actually, it's just a cover with the new options in TSF which after explaining that refers you to the original manual which is also included.

defalcon
Apr 6, 2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Nadine

Oh. Warez. I've heard about that and I stay FAR away from that. Not only illegal, it just sucks for the developers.

D'oh! A manual with TSF that I didn't get?:confused: Grr. I bought a boxed copy from Haze, but no manual. What gives? I automatically assumed that the lack of manual was because of the multiple languages it would have to be in. But there wasn't even one on the CD! There was for CC.

As I've said, if you got the re-release version of TSF, you get no manual. I'm pretty sure Aiko and Haze only had rereleases left to give out.

Haze
Apr 7, 2002, 06:26 AM
Defalcon is right, at the time that Aiko and I started shipping copies overseas there were only re-releases available. Actually, the original releases sold out pretty d*ng fast. :)

Nowadays you'll hardly find any releases or left overs. In Germany there are some re-re-releases which actually are re-releases from the releases in Poland. (quite confusing, isn't it? ;)) Only those come <B>without</B> the cardboard box and manual. But they do include some nifty previews of Polish-games as extra. :D

Mystical
Apr 7, 2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Haze
Defalcon is right, at the time that Aiko and I started shipping copies overseas there were only re-releases available. Actually, the original releases sold out pretty d*ng fast. :)

Nowadays you'll hardly find any releases or left overs. In Germany there are some re-re-releases which actually are re-releases from the releases in Poland. (quite confusing, isn't it? ;)) Only those come <B>without</B> the cardboard box and manual. But they do include some nifty previews of Polish-games as extra. :D

really?

FQuist
Apr 9, 2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Another Jazz 2 fan
And they ignore all our pleas for patches. They don't care about us. :(

They are simply too busy.

Michael
Apr 10, 2002, 05:51 AM
Jazz as a game sucks..
You don't understand me I assume... too bad! :P I love Jazz though.

Stijn
Apr 10, 2002, 08:46 AM
Jazz sucks but you love Jazz? :P

Warlord!
Apr 13, 2002, 06:50 PM
Yeah Lori was rushed(seems like an afterthought really), and thus makes her suck.
She can't ride copters which makes battle1 and 2 and the treasure 1 levels unplayable.
Not to mention the majority of these (http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/moreinfo.php?levelid=1221) levels :)

Wild Angel
Apr 13, 2002, 07:03 PM
I bought TSF when it FIRST came out, I had to order it out of England. It came with two cds, jazz 1.23 and tsf. Did they stop doing that? o.0;;

VelKa
Apr 13, 2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Another Jazz 2 fan
They don't care about us.

Originally posted by Fquist
They are simply too busy.

They are <s>government agents</s> evil.

Nadine
Apr 13, 2002, 08:12 PM
Lori can't even use helicopters? :confused: And she has no high jump or doublejump! Why did they have to make her so disabled? Otherwise she's very cool.

defalcon
Apr 13, 2002, 09:52 PM
She's supposed to be able to ride copters but it wasn't implemented properly. And she can jump high if you know how to do it..

Another Jazz 2 fan
Apr 14, 2002, 09:41 AM
I don't. The only way is by running, and you need some space for that!

JanusJackrabbit
Apr 14, 2002, 12:58 PM
If you don't, just press run a whole bunch of times and jump when you hit a wall.

Violet CLM
Apr 14, 2002, 08:41 PM
Correction: Press run a whole bunch of times, and when you stop, hold down jump until the second jump.

<Crono>
Apr 15, 2002, 06:08 PM
Another thing that shows that Lori was rushed is that she uses Spaz's game over screen.

Mystical
Apr 16, 2002, 04:36 AM
she does!?!
I never noticed that.

Ducky
Apr 16, 2002, 11:13 AM
But wait. Hasn't our esteemed Jonesey seen Lori use the helicopter? Or was that a rumor? I heard that somewhere. Anyway.

Mystical
Apr 16, 2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Ducky
But wait. Hasn't our esteemed Jonesey seen Lori use the helicopter? Or was that a rumor? I heard that somewhere. Anyway.

could try experimenting with it.

BurningBulL
Apr 22, 2002, 06:28 AM
Jazz and Spaz are just "the" jazz2 characters..
Spaz has his double jump to come high when he jumps and Jazz has his stomping fist to stomp very high, but Lori is a mix of the two rabbits; she can fly with her ears and she can kick... but I dont get her very high in the sky like you can with Jazz and Spaz. So she cant do tests, singleplayer packs and maybe also just normal-selfmade battles or you have to make it able for Lori too... most of the time it gets too simple for Jazz and Spaz then.

So she cant jump high enough (you got to practice for a time but I still cant do it..) than she has a sort of kick like Spaz has but if she kicks she comes not very far.

And the helicopter bug sux too (big time)

and you are also right about her fur, it gets very mixed up and stuff.. there is still yellow in her fur even if you dont want to, you cant remove it..

When I (my brother actually:D) bought JJ2 tsf I tought: "WOW a girl rabbit! cool!" but when I tried her out she wasnt very usefull.:(

defalcon
Apr 23, 2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by BurningBulL
Jazz and Spaz are just "the" jazz2 characters..
Spaz has he's double jump to come high wenn he jumps and Jazz has he's stomping fist to stomp very high, but Lori is a mix of the two rabbits; she can fly with her ears and she can kick... but I dont get her very high in the sky like you can with Jazz and Spaz so she cant do tests, singleplayer packs and maybe also just normal-selfmade battles or you have to make it able for Lori too... most of the time it gets too simple for Jazz and Spaz than

so she cant jump high inough (you got to practice for a time but I still cant do it..) than she has a sort of kick like Spaz has but if she kicks she comes not very far.

And the helicopter bug sux too (big time)

and you are also right about her fur, it gets very mixed up and stuff.. there is still yellow in her fur even if you dont want to, you cant remove it..

Wenn I (my brother actually:D) bought JJ2 tsf I tought: "WOW a girl rabbit! cool!" but wenn I tried her out she wasnt very usefull.
Yep, I hate the colour and copter problems. Evil.

Lori can jump high. :P
Her side-attack rules, you hold it down and you can do it continuously (duh) so yes it does go even farther than Spaz's sidekick.

Haze
Apr 24, 2002, 12:16 AM
Lori CAN use the copter, the routines just aren't programmed right. I've seen it at Jones' myself. :) And he had posted a screenshot once.

DrJones
Aug 11, 2002, 01:52 PM
Okay, I know it's evil to revive topics, but, I have some previously unreleased audio stuff that was supposed to be in the TSF intro...remind me to put this up on LC in the next update :)

Trafton AT
Aug 11, 2002, 08:41 PM
Lori should have her own attacks. I'm sure she would be very spiffy if she did. I especially hate the fur colors, which are always yellow. Lori would likely be even easier than Jazz to color, since her seperate color areas are so obvious. Sadly rushed. Good point, Nadine.

StormyThunder
Aug 12, 2002, 11:16 AM
Lori was done too fast. The colors don't have a solid color, they always have yellow in them. In the ending movie I think they should have edited the original Lori -Spaz's girlfriend- to the Lori now -Jazz and Spaz's sister,- and they should take out the part where Spaz falls in love with the original Lori.

There is that super jump that she can do but I think they should have made it so when you press the jump key twice it does a double jump like Spaz (Not his style of jumping though, looks a little crazy looking for Lori.)

I do think it's cool that Lori is mixed between Jazz and Spaz. Her karate kick move is nice because if you just hold down the keys that make her kick, she keeps going until she runs into a wall or something.

Flint LP
Aug 13, 2002, 01:25 PM
Way too many things in Jazz 2 and the Secret Files were rushed, but I guess we are only talking about Lori because she is so important. But like Nadine said earlier, maybe we shouldn't complain so much and think of this third character as a treat.
(though a treat that is a challenge to play as.)
:(

:cool: