PDA

View Full Version : Change of time format

Aiko
Apr 25, 2001, 07:04 AM
great: the time format of the board changed to a.m./p.m. system. now we all hail to the english/american world again, right Fquist?

in other words, why did you do that? (the central european 24-hour-system is way better, more logical, easier, and you, the founder, is dutch also).

Fquist_old
Apr 25, 2001, 08:27 AM
I am dutch but the majority of the users here uses the am/pm system..

Aiko
Apr 25, 2001, 09:07 AM
nothing but cultural imperialism. oh well dont listen to me. you disappoint me as always fquist (not that you would care :-)))

Fquist_old
Apr 25, 2001, 09:14 AM
Oh, thanks for the compliment.. I just don't always have the same views as you. Doesn't mean I don't care about your input..

Using military time would also be cultural imperialism..

Bobby aka Dizzy
Apr 25, 2001, 11:00 AM
*loves am/pm time cause its so easy to understand* http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

iCeD
Apr 25, 2001, 11:37 AM
AM/PM time rocks. I know, Military time makes more sense, but I grew up with AM/PM time and therefore can identify with it better than 24-hour clock time.

I think this forum needs an option to select from AM/PM and 24-hour time formats.

Fquist_old
Apr 25, 2001, 12:32 PM
Good idea(although we discussed this on icq. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Done. You can now go to preferences to change the way the time is formatted.

Ducky
Apr 25, 2001, 12:33 PM
YaY! Go iCeD.

`Ducky

Monolith
Apr 25, 2001, 02:22 PM
<TT>} //End ARGS</TT>

I grew up with AM / PM, but I found that I like 24hr time better, so I've been changing my habbits.

I still occationally have to think about it when I look at my watch, but I'm getting more used to it. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SteelTalon
Apr 25, 2001, 06:44 PM
AM/PM rocks. But this board still lacks two things to be perfect in all ways time.

1. A hook-up to AtomTime to always have the perfect time. ;P

2. PST as the standard time. This is a must-do and cannot be ignored.

[EDIT: Also, DiY Metric System! Illogical Inches/Foot system forever! ;P]

-SteelTalon

=Proudly 103rd person to register

+"goqdi 29of3w q43 43574h8ht w99h"

Fquist_old
Apr 26, 2001, 12:42 AM
No thanks.. Too much work. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Aiko
Apr 26, 2001, 07:02 AM
cool fquist! thanks for that neat feature! just switched to 24-hour-format :-)

but btw...your postings even confirm my theory. i never heard the term "military time" at all. i dont know in which dike cave you live, fquist (:-))), but do we actually call it "military time"? hmmm.

afaik, the 24-hour-format is a part of GMT/UTC (http://www.dxing.com/utcgmt.htm) which is THE world standard (http://toi.iriti.cnr.it/uk/timezone.html#UNIVTIME

) used by all kinds of scientists etc. plus 300 million people here in Europe and elsewhere :-)

conclusion: add a handy feature to switch a users GMT-offset. should be easy to code (just add or subtract some numbers i guess :-) but i dont know maybe it could totally mess up your spaghetti code :-)

Fquist_old
Apr 26, 2001, 07:23 AM
The code of this board is spaghetti code, my codee is not. :P The entire time overhaul is being done for efficiency.

Military time is a US term for our 24 hour clock.. cause it's used in their military. I am not obsessed by the US, frankly, I think the US stinks compared to the EU, but I saw that the majority of the users here is american, and thus uses the am/pm system, so I used that for the code. No matter how wonderfull military time is, it's not wonderfull for them as they grew up with the am/pm system, while us internetting europeans are more generous and learned how the am/pm time system worked.

That's why I chose for it..

Actually, making timezones possible isn't that easy.. but I'll look into it..

Dark MooGoo
Apr 26, 2001, 07:44 AM
Mm, spaghetti ... tastes good with alfredo sauce!

It's not that hard to convert times ... everything from 1 AM to 12 PM is the same, just when you get from 1 PM to 12 PM it changes. Still, easy enough ... stubract 12 ... 1300 = 1 PM, 1700 = 5 PM, 2342 = 11:42 PM. When you get to 0000, it's midnight, 12 AM, just remember the 24hr clock is based off of midnight. The 12hr clock is too redundant; there's no need to always have to state AM or PM -- since when do you look at your watch and go, hmm, it says it's 3:30 ... now is that AM or PM ... the sun being out and the bird chirping and the lawn mower next door doesn't tell me that it's 3 in the middle of the day ... I must be stupid in the head or something ... but anyway, yeah, subtract 12. After a while you'll automatically see 1556 as 3:56 PM anyway without having to really think about it.

Uh, yeah, I think I'll just end with my alredo spaghetti comment. I like spaghetti.

Fquist_old
Apr 26, 2001, 08:20 AM
No. :P

Name me one pro of the US..

Aiko
Apr 26, 2001, 10:13 AM
a big pro is that the U.S. is the first and oldest democracy in the world. no world war hit their continent. stongest military power in the world. etc. etc. lots of pros actually. too much to list. but us europeans have a lot of pros too so we could argue forever :-)

actually if you want to be exact, you cant compare the two continents at all. long story. lack of time and vocabulary keep me from discussing that here. lucky you :-))

the only main problem i have with that country is the extreme cultural (and sometimes political) ignorance and arrogance. you have a nice example of that in this thread: fquist (from the NL) uses a U.S. term to describe his own time format!

Fquist_old
Apr 26, 2001, 10:17 AM
Because most people here are american..

I agree. A lot of americans show a lot of cultural arrogance. But that's just America's role in the world. I mean, if the EU would be a half continent big, we probably wouldn't know about small countries.. I have no idea actually.

iCeD
Apr 26, 2001, 10:22 AM
One pro about the US is we make better hamburgers, and steak, than you Euro's do.

Fquist_old
Apr 26, 2001, 10:50 AM
But a lot of people act that way.

Do you know how much of the US we get stuffed down our troats here? US this.. US that. :P

Fquist_old
Apr 26, 2001, 11:46 AM
I am not talking about you in general, but about a lot of American people.. and the way our countries treat America.

Afcourse, all countries have chauvinists..

SteelTalon
Apr 26, 2001, 04:06 PM
What about the most obvious advantage of living in the US? PST!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Heh, I always wondered how much US hype comes to other countries. =)

Derby
Apr 26, 2001, 04:36 PM
I think CST/CDT is the best. It's a central time zone to the US (hence the name Central Standard Time/Central Daylight Time) and many people actually live in it (Unlike the empty quarter of the MST/MDT.) PST/PDT and EST/EDT are so unjustified. ;-P

Fquist_old
Apr 27, 2001, 01:12 AM
Heh, I always wondered how much US hype comes to other countries. =)

Too much. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Aiko
Apr 27, 2001, 05:02 AM
>Well, I'll say Europe has a LOT

>of "cultural ignorance", mainly ignorance

>about the US. It's prejudice, I tell ya.

wrong. ever watched german tv? ever been outside the u.s. at all? you'll be surprised i can tell you. most teenagers worldwide worship u.s. culture like a god.

of course, if you think of a different view on the whole thing: the united states as a kind of an "outpost" and leader of the actual European(!) culture (that started to develope in the 15th century and long before) you can call it "europeanization" of the world, as scientists call it. the actual losers were and are africa, asia, south america. if you follow that theory the u.s. is actually just a part of Europe (that developed faster in the 20th century because of many reasons -> geography, island-like-location etc.). but thats another story. (actually im writing all this to practice my english a bit. sorry if i bore you :)

well whatever, i have the feeling this aint the right place to discuss politics and history. sorry again :)

>And no, we're not as "big and powerful" as

>you think. We're just a country, like any

>ol' country on this big ball.

heh, thats just wrong, sorry. maybe you have to study history plus the general political situation a bit more, electropizza. really :)