PDA

View Full Version : Where are we now?

MetalWarrior
Apr 24, 2002, 06:41 PM
Hey...

Wow. Feels a little strange posting on this board again. A little nostolgic even. Well, anyway--

I spose you guys are a bit surprised to hear from me! Been awhile, eh? I was recently directed to this board by Fquist (thanks man), particularly ToxicBunny's post about closing Possum World. I would have posted this there, but I didn't want to get lost amongst the off topic discussion, heh.

First off, I'd like to say thanks to ToxicBunny, a whole big lot of thanks, and to Electric Ir as well. I love both your sites, and was sorry to read about PW's closing. I especially liked the fan tilesets and pScript suggestions. I'd like to ask you a favor (tho I don't deserve too, deserting you all like this for so long!) Could you leave PW online, even tho you won't be updating it? Who knows, maybe you'll change your mind later on-- and even if you don't, I like having it there. :) Well, even if you take it down, thanks for putting it up to begin with.

Well now... I guess I've kept you in suspense long enough. You're wondering about the real message here - the one in the title. Just where ARE we now? This is a difficult question to answer. On top of that, I know that probably many people will misunderstand what I'm about to say, altho I hope they won't. Anyway, that said, let's start with the bad news. The cold, hard facts:

Zero. That is the precise number of lines of code I have written for Possum since last... August or September.

Still breathing? :)

I know that sounds bad, terrible even. In reality, it really isn't. Allow me to explain. First off, we have the extenuating circumstances (excuses): Last September I started my first year of college. On top of this, add a few other responsibilities, including various work (paying and non), and trying to realize an almost lifelong dream of writing a script. Also, I've had a lot of personal things to deal with, which I won't go into here. All this stuff has made it difficult, if not impossible, to find time for Possum.

Okay, so that's why I haven't written code. Why isn't that entirely bad? Well, I have done some planning work. One hour of planning is worth twenty of coding, or something like that. In other words, I save myself a lot of time coding and recoding (as if I've never done that before...) when I plan it thoroughly ahead of time.

Also, when you think about it, standard game development time is 1-2 years, for the pros. And that's for a small game. IMO, we're still making good progress for a "bunch of kids".

Oh, while I think of it-- quick note to whoever else on the team is reading this (Dino), the programming is still well ahead of the artwork. I have a couple ideas about the scope and design of the game, send me an email (webmaster@sphere7studios.com ) and I'll get back to you. It's just too crazy for ICQ.

Soooo.... I know, I know, I ramble :) Here's the bottom line: I'm stubborn as a mule. I haven't given up on it yet and I probably never will. Even if everyone else quits, there's a megaman fan game in my head that I'd just as soon use the engine for. And who knows what else. How long will it take? How should I know? And why should I care? Making this game is an adventure, one that I plan to enjoy. (And have been!)

Thanks to everybody who's been along for the ride thus far, and to those who will stay or join later. I leave you with a couple quotes, which I like-- maybe you will too:

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

"Dare you to move." -Switchfoot

PS: You're all welcome to drop me an email if you ever want to, whether it's bugging me for info, being encouraging, or whatnot. Just don't be annoying or frequent as my schedule will force me to ignore you ;)

--Metal

EvilMike
Apr 24, 2002, 09:20 PM
In other words, nothing has happened and you are here to tell us that ;P

GO BACK TO YOUR CLOSET AND GET BACK TO WORK, OR THERE WILL BE NO SUPPER FOR YOU, CHILD!

Stijn
Apr 25, 2002, 12:32 AM
It's mean. First you're creating a whole HYPE about possum, with fans, a bord, and now you're telling us you're not doing anything.

KRSplat
Apr 25, 2002, 07:24 AM
Told you the facts would be boring ;p

Alister
Apr 25, 2002, 09:57 AM
WooHoo! It worked! Now to spam MetalWarrior!

Seriously though, the site will remain up, even if I switch hosts (in which case I will alert you).
I may add a few news updates (time permitting) in the event of any major news.
I wish MetalWarrior (and the rest of the team) the best of luck in whatever they're doing, even if it isn't marsupial-related. :)

Newspaz
Apr 25, 2002, 12:53 PM
Woohoo! At least someone shows us something. Though it's nothing. I hope to see you on more often on this board from now on :).

JJ BBoy KS
Apr 26, 2002, 02:34 PM
Well at least we now know what's going on. (nothing) :D

That's okay, I will wait patiently for the game to start moving again.

*waits*

KRSplat
Apr 27, 2002, 06:20 AM
You might be waiting for a while :)

Mystical
Apr 30, 2002, 09:35 AM
Lets hope Possum has multiplayer :O
Gamer Warriors(GW) started on Jj2 now were also on neopets; and WHAT NO NO! not 5 years till possum!;
guess we will have to find a diffirent game till then :(

Red_XIII
May 1, 2002, 12:31 PM
HeY! ThIS IS 600 POST YAYA ON POSSUM FOREST YAY!

Is it possible for me to make levels for Possum currently?

Electric Ir
May 1, 2002, 12:42 PM
You? Well, you.. No. :P The game isn't even working. The levelbuilder has one niftular tileset called "Sonic Winter", and more is yet to come.

Alister
May 2, 2002, 08:34 AM
You're lucky Gizmo isn't here, he'd be offended by that (at least... he <I>should</I> be...)
I think sonic winter is good.

Electric Ir
May 2, 2002, 08:43 AM
I didn't want to impress that I dislike the tileset. It came out a bit rude, but it's changed now. Sorry Giz! ^_^

Alister
May 3, 2002, 11:45 AM
Must... Keep... Forum... Alive...
<FONT SIZE=+4>No</FONT><FONT SIZE=+2>o</FONT>o<FONT SIZE=-2>o</FONT><FONT SIZE=-4>o</FONT><FONT SIZE=-6>o</FONT>

:p

Violet CLM
May 3, 2002, 12:49 PM
I had this aching desire to play Possum recently.. it kind of went away after a while, but it was startling.

Alister
May 4, 2002, 02:44 AM
That's happened to me too. Scary, considering there isn't even a demo.
<B>We Love Hype!</B>

Stijn
May 4, 2002, 06:20 AM
*hugs hype*

KRSplat
May 4, 2002, 05:48 PM
*brings death to hype*

HAHAHAA

Alister
May 5, 2002, 01:06 AM
Noooo! You monster! :O

Alister
May 20, 2002, 12:36 PM
What's that you say? A post in the Possum Forest?

Could it be anything of interest?

Think again.

Mwahahahahahahaha.

<FONT SIZE=-2>(Hey, if no one visits this forum, I can spam it all I want. I just need to dodge the admins..... Whoops...)</FONT>

Stijn
May 21, 2002, 05:00 AM
<font size="9">I</font> DO visit this forum! I just got nothing to post about :)

Let's spam this board together >:)

Alister
May 22, 2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Fl@$h
Let's spam this board together >:)
Originally posted by Toxic Bunny
Mwahahahahahahaha.
Not yet posted by anybody yet
This is off-topic.
This should be in misc.

Spamming is FUUN, kiddies!

Stijn
May 22, 2002, 08:57 AM
What do you mean with "kiddie? :P

*spams board*

JJ BBoy KS
May 22, 2002, 03:57 PM
http://www.spamtownusa.com/spamjam/spam.jpg

http://www.motherjones.com/mother_jones/MJ98/spam.gif

http://www.cnrs.fr/Infosecu/images/Spam.gif

http://www.pacificnet.net/AUP/spam/spam.gif

<FONT SIZE="6"><B>WARNING:</B> This next picture contains graphic nudity!!! VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!</FONT>

http://www.goats.com/readme/images/spam.jpg

Stijn
May 23, 2002, 08:42 AM
Hey! A poster!

Argh. Nudity. FQuist, this violates the JCF rules.

Ahem. FQuist is gone (who knows where) and I sais something stoopid.

BTW: This is off-topic :P

Electric Ir
May 24, 2002, 06:54 AM
This topic consists of about... 12 posts of junk. Ridiculous.

Stijn
May 26, 2002, 02:12 AM
13 posts now :)

Alister
May 26, 2002, 05:41 AM
14 is not my favourite number. We need more!
Bwahahahahaha!

Darnit, exams coming up. I should stop wasting my time. :D

Stijn
May 28, 2002, 03:29 AM
<h1>15!</h1>

Hah.

Alister
May 31, 2002, 06:59 AM
You think <B>15</B> is cool?

Well <FONT SIZE=+2>16</FONT> is <TT>10000</TT> in binary, so there!

Stijn
May 31, 2002, 07:15 AM
<b>17</b> is my age in the future! Hah.

Alister
May 31, 2002, 02:18 PM
<FONT SIZE=+2>18</FONT> will be my age on my next birthday.
I'm getting ooold... fetch the walking stick...

JJ BBoy KS
May 31, 2002, 03:46 PM
16 Is my age in July. Go me.

(How dare you all look at that naked spam picture!)

Red_XIII
May 31, 2002, 11:44 PM
Hmm....

a

Heh :P

Red_XIII
May 31, 2002, 11:45 PM
Hmmmm, is there really progress? :)

Red_XIII
May 31, 2002, 11:46 PM
YAY!!!! 600th POST!!! (i was watiting for this ;))

Alister
Jun 1, 2002, 05:13 AM
My post! You fiend! :D

Violet CLM
Jun 1, 2002, 12:16 PM
Well, he cheated. Don't worry about it.

Electric Ir
Jun 2, 2002, 01:17 AM
This topic sux0rs big time.

Alister
Jun 2, 2002, 01:23 AM
Got anything else to talk about?

Stijn
Jun 2, 2002, 07:05 AM
Let's talk about this.

Stijn
Jun 2, 2002, 07:07 AM
second page, mwahaha

Alister
Jun 2, 2002, 01:04 PM
Darnit, I'm missing everything in this thread...
:rolleyes:

Stijn
Jun 3, 2002, 04:49 AM
* Flash[TT] helps ToxicBunny

JJ BBoy KS
Jun 3, 2002, 09:45 AM
*Flicks lighter*

*Burns finger*

Ouch.

*Eats lighter*

Stijn
Jun 4, 2002, 06:42 AM
Hmm.

Stijn
Jun 18, 2002, 04:20 AM
Must... keep... forum... alive!

Alister
Jun 18, 2002, 03:52 PM
A Post! Hoorayness! note the capital P in Post!

:H

Alister
Jun 18, 2002, 03:53 PM
And the lack of capital Ns in note.

:rolleyes:

||Slim
Jun 18, 2002, 04:27 PM
ENOUGH SPAM.

<strike> OMG! Metalwarrior is looking at this! He might update us!!! :) </strike>

Alister
Jun 19, 2002, 01:43 AM
This forum is moderated by Roaster...

We can clearly spam all we want.
Would the other mods/admins trespass on his turf? (Well, yes...)

:p

Stijn
Jun 19, 2002, 05:02 AM
So this forum turns from "Possum Forest" into "The Spam Forum".

And notice the capital S, P, F, T, S and F!

Alister
Jun 20, 2002, 07:27 AM
The Spam Forest! Where all the little baby spam frolick!

Awwww, aren't they cu... Ow!

NooooOOoOOOo! Gettem off me!

Alister
Jun 20, 2002, 07:28 AM
Note the capital O, O, O, O and O.

JJ BBoy KS
Jun 20, 2002, 01:39 PM
Hey, so is this game dead or what????? GET WITH THE PROGRAMMING AND UPDATING, PEOPLE!!! :D

*Looks at all the little spams*

Ya gotta love these guys :)

atesoR
Jun 20, 2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by JJ BBoy KS
Hey, so is this game dead or what????? GET WITH THE PROGRAMMING AND UPDATING, PEOPLE!!! :D

*Looks at all the little spams*

Ya gotta love these guys :)

Yeah:D

Stijn
Jun 23, 2002, 02:51 AM
Look at those ncie Spam Trees!

Alister
Jun 24, 2002, 12:52 PM
The real question is, Is Disguise in suspense?

Talec
Jun 24, 2002, 05:21 PM
Over what? Spam trees?

~Talec "With luck, the programmers are so busy programming they haven't time to update us here ;)" LP

Violet CLM
Jun 24, 2002, 11:01 PM
No, is he in suspense about whether or not they'll let him in to do some tilesets.

Of course the spam trees! What did you think?

JJ BBoy KS
Jun 24, 2002, 11:24 PM
Spam trees?

Stijn
Jun 25, 2002, 02:02 AM
Tr33s 1n sp4m f0r3st.

Razz
Jun 25, 2002, 11:49 AM
Hmmm
Dont we all eat SPAM? Do we?

Alister
Jun 25, 2002, 01:40 PM
The community would STARVE without luvverly Spam.

Stijn
Jun 26, 2002, 11:11 PM
Yes, altough it's ugly :)

Razz
Jun 28, 2002, 02:56 AM
SPAM ROEWLUS (ehh RULES :p)

Finnaly, when the name changes in Spam Forest, or Possum Spam, or Post Spam ???

KRSplat
Jul 1, 2002, 04:34 PM
*off-topic warning*

Krezack
Jul 1, 2002, 07:41 PM
Stop spamming! It isn't funny!

Stijn
Jul 2, 2002, 12:51 AM
Gah. Let's flood MW.

*floods MW*

Trafton AT
Jul 2, 2002, 08:32 PM
*flood*

Stijn
Jul 3, 2002, 01:21 AM
Where?

Tik
Jul 9, 2002, 03:00 AM
Look! A Spam Fish! HOLY BUH.

Etc.

Spaz ate the dopefish.

Fawriel
Jul 9, 2002, 07:17 AM
Spam ate the Spazfish.
Spamming is good for your body and soul.
Spam is our friend.
Spammers are nice people.
Spammers are our friends.
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Sorry!:D

Alister
Jul 10, 2002, 02:18 PM
PROGRESS!!

Er...
*crawls back where he came from*

Violet CLM
Jul 10, 2002, 11:53 PM
*Points towards the Comedy Cafe forum*

Stijn
Jul 11, 2002, 01:38 AM
That one is only for funny spam :P

Fawriel
Jul 11, 2002, 04:26 AM
Not funny spam is evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean,more evil than it is anyway!:D

JJ BBoy KS
Jul 12, 2002, 04:16 PM
<FONT SIZE="7">
COME ON YOU GUYS!!! START WORKING ON THE GAME ALREADY, AND GIVE US SOME UPDATES!!! YOU HAVE TO CONTINUE OR WE SHALL ALL COME AND RAID YOUR REFRIDGERATORS AND STEAL YOU WOMEN AND CHILDREN, AND SPAM YOUR EMAIL, AND DELETE EVERYTHING IN YOUR WINDOWS REGISTRY!!!!!!!!</FONT>

JJ BBoy KS
Jul 14, 2002, 11:59 AM
Remember about a year or two ago, on April 1st, when they put up an april fools joke about Possum being dead and them discontinueing it? Well maybe now it's happened. Down the drain. http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/edoom/Flush.gif

*sob* http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/contrib/sarge/Sad_anim.gif

:D

Stijn
Jul 15, 2002, 02:16 AM
Uhm... Yesh :D

I claim page 2 and 3. Hah.

Violet CLM
Jul 15, 2002, 03:08 PM
Well then! If you're going to be like that, I claim page one.

..we want Possum!

Stijn
Jul 19, 2002, 02:53 AM
I want...

POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM POSSUM

Fawriel
Jul 19, 2002, 06:45 AM
And she must know it!:D

I want Possum,too!

Stijn
Jul 20, 2002, 05:50 AM
Stuff

JJ BBoy KS
Sep 6, 2002, 06:32 PM
I agree with Fl@$h. :p

2! 4! 6! 8!
Wouldn't it be really great!
Great meaning super awesome!
If we only had our possum!!!!!

2 bits! 4 bits! 6 Bits! A dollar!
Give us possum or we'll hold you by your collar!

I don't know but I've been told!
The possum news is too dang old!
We want possum updates quick!
Or shall we beat you with a stick!?

Lean to the left lean to the right!
Stand up sit down AUGH HURRY UP WITH THAT POSSUM GAME YOU LAZY SLACKERS!!!!!! :D

Kaz
Sep 6, 2002, 07:52 PM
Why do I have this sudden feeling that MW is dead from jj2? -v-

Trafton AT
Sep 6, 2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Fl@$h
Stuff

Well, Kaz, I'm pretty sure that this post is a great example of how useful this topic is.

JJ BBoy KS
Sep 24, 2002, 03:07 PM
Maybe MW is just dead. :p

Abb...err..just kiddin'. :)