PDA

View Full Version : Zonealarm won't let me hpst

defalcon
May 3, 2002, 09:11 PM
I installed zone alarm and it's a pain to setup, cause my ISP pings me every now and then to see if I'm active or they'll disconnect me, so I had to allow that. And I also had to allo logicware to connect and some stuff like that to recieve the serverlists and join games. But I can't seem to host. It allows JJ2 to access te net and act as a server, but it pings non-stop. Can someone help me please?

Blimp
May 3, 2002, 11:29 PM
Shut it down when you play games, also your virusscan.
Else you lag and cant host.

Blimp.

Alberto
May 4, 2002, 01:09 AM
Well, to shut it down is an option, but to setup it is another one.

Blimp
May 6, 2002, 07:50 AM
And what then?
Setup it so it accepts all IP's?
Else no-one can join. And I guess you don't want your firewall to accept all IP's, so I prefer to shut it down.

Blimp.

Link
May 6, 2002, 01:14 PM
Blimp, ZoneAlarm can be configured to restrict certain programs' use of the internet. As far as I know, you can allow JJ2 (Jazz2.exe) to have outgoing priveleges and server priveleges.

By giving JJ2 server priveleges, any IP address will be allowed to connect, but only to JJ2. I would highly recommend doing this, rather than shutting down ZoneAlarm. If you shut down ZoneAlarm, it leaves your computer open to hackers while you are playing JJ2. And if you are like me, you will forget to turn it back on when you are done playing.

I don't use ZoneAlarm any more, so I can't give specific instructions on how to do this. But I have used it in the past, and I know there is a way to give programs server priveleges. If you can't figure it out, try looking in the help file or on their website.

Hope this helps! :)

defalcon
May 7, 2002, 12:40 AM
Erm Link, problem there: I DID give it server privalleges. Twice. ;P

backslash
May 14, 2002, 07:23 AM
Set ZoneAlarm not on 'Hard', but on 'Medium'. It works!!!

Krezack
May 15, 2002, 04:47 AM
Right defalcon try this (experimental but at the worst it will do nothing) next time your ISP pings you grab thier IP number. Then open ZA and click security then click advanced then click add>> then click IP range then enter *.*.*.0 for the 'from' field, and *.*.*.255 for the 'to' field.

* = the section of your ISP's IP that goes there.

What I hope this will do is make ZA think that any packets from your ISP are coming from your local zone instead of the internet. Then i think you will also have to set "local zone" to Low protection (unless your hackers plan to control your computer via a networked computer).

defalcon
May 16, 2002, 10:29 PM
Don't have a network.
Lalalalalala, tried that.

Krezack
May 18, 2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by defalcon
Don't have a network.
Lalalalalala, tried that.

Yes you do, your computer is hooked up via the phoneline to your ISP (thus you have network, thus my advice is still valid).

So defalcon, what exactly DID you do when you installed zone alarm? Something incorrect obviously because nobody else has these problems. Send me some screenshots of each tab in zone alarm in gif form please. ;)

(email @ luna@ix.net.au as usual cause I rarely use icq anymore, also zip em =P)

BTW: are you sure its ZA? What exactly did you install/change around the time this problem occured?

defalcon
May 18, 2002, 06:17 AM
Erm, nothing but...dundundund Zonealarm ;P

Don't use ICQ? Dude, it only takes a FEW SECONDS to boot up! Why is everyone so lazy? ;P

Alberto
May 19, 2002, 03:49 AM
defalcon, if you send me some pics about ZoneAlarm Pro I'll help yuo with it

Krezack
May 20, 2002, 02:21 PM
I quote:
Originally posted by Krezack
Send me some screenshots of each tab in zone alarm in gif form please. ;)
Send us screenies! =P

Lama
May 22, 2002, 03:29 AM
I haven't had this problem so I can't give a solution. However, I'm guessing that your settings might be a little too high. Alberto is an expert when it comes to this kind of stuff and Krezack seems to be pretty experienced, too, send them screen shots as I'm unreliable right now.