PDA

View Full Version : JJ2 Source code.

Ninja
May 7, 2002, 04:03 AM
Wasnt this uploaded to J2O once and then deleted???

Could a admin explain?

I downloaded it before my computer was formatted.

FQuist
May 7, 2002, 05:08 AM
It hasn't.

Fighter II
May 7, 2002, 07:00 AM
Whoa! The source code? I too wanted to edit the animations. If Epic were to realese the code, Jazz2 will never stop ending. Still, it will be a cool, awesome game for people!

Nadine
May 7, 2002, 02:10 PM
Someone must not be telling the truth here. Maybe we had the sourcecode on J2O and Epic decided they didn't want us to have it after all, and paid someone on J20 a lot of money to remove it and pretend it never happened, so that if we ask if it happened he has to say no.

Of course I'm kidding, but seriously, Ninja wouldn't you know whether or not you had the sourcecode on your system before? Or did you download something else?

Fighter II
May 7, 2002, 02:57 PM
How do you open the Jazz2 animations library with that? I think how do you do it? I'll try to find a sprite editor to do it. Hmmmm..., I might try to create a Jazz2 dragonball z level and Frieza as a boss! Or, a space ship for jazz to fly.

Newspaz
May 7, 2002, 02:58 PM
I *think* someone uploaded the source code in assembler. Which wouldn't be to hard to get yourself anyway, you can find disassemblers all over the web.

Nadine
May 7, 2002, 04:45 PM
DEFALCON WHERE ARE YOU????

Please don't mess with me! Is there a sourcecode or not? I really want to make new characters, but I thought it was impossible to do so because we need the sourcecode and don't have it, or am I wrong? :confused:

I must not get my hopes up in case I'll never to be able to play Jazz 2 online as none other than Sonic the Hedgehog. :( But never sure is an awfully long time. Certainly somewhere down the road we'll get the sourcecode.

BTW, I'm gullable - can you tell? I'm surprised I don't own any items from Infomercials, but I've been thinking about that Epil Stop & Spray. Summer is coming up.

Fighter II you remind me of me! I've been trying to get the Jazz 2 animations, but I think you have to take screenshots and create animated frames from them yourself...

Fighter II
May 7, 2002, 07:48 PM
I believe you Nadine. Someday or one day, we get the source code. Well, you would always depend on the cool stuff. There is a source code! I know there should be a source code! On the bottom of my heart, I think we would find out how to get the code.

:( http://www.superrobotwar.com

defalcon
May 7, 2002, 09:55 PM
Yes there's a sourcecode, but we don't have it. ;P

Stijn
May 8, 2002, 01:10 AM
Lol.

Shadow XZ
May 8, 2002, 04:04 AM
Hmmm... I do remember long ago like 2 years ago on some site I was on... (Maybe Jazz2City?) I saw something called source code... Of course, back then, I had no idea what it was, and thought it'd be a waste... But I'll keep looking for it anyway...

Fighter II
May 8, 2002, 06:51 AM
Hmmm....the source code must hidden in a Jazz Jackrabbit site. What is lol?

Shiverz
May 8, 2002, 09:18 AM
I do remember on jazz 2 city in the download bit for others it had written Source code but back then i didnt know what it ment so i ignored it now i feel angry with myself :mad:

Im A Bunny Rabbit

http://www.geocities.com/wackyspazuk/Shiverz.gif

Fighter II
May 8, 2002, 02:08 PM
Foooooooooooool!

Ice M A N
May 8, 2002, 02:23 PM
Well, I and many others have been around as long as J2C has had downloads, and I guarantee you the source code to JJ2 was never there.

Fighter II
May 8, 2002, 02:34 PM
Arrrrrrrgh! How could the other people say there is a source code there? Something will...Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Newspaz
May 8, 2002, 02:57 PM
Actually, you could go play as Sonic as soon as we get the sourcecode, but noone would be able to see it since Jazz uses your local animation file for every player in the game.

And, there will probably never be an animation changer available for public. Neither will be the sourcecode.

Nadine
May 8, 2002, 10:37 PM
Well, you know how you can change your colours and it shows up online? Maybe it could work with that code, because there must be a way to do it.

Some people say the source code was/is available, other people say no.... What's going on here?

Fighter II: are you new to message boards or the internet in general? LOL stands for laughing out loud. There are many initials like this. The Jazz 2 related ones are these:

JCF - Jazz Community Forums
J2O - Jazz 2 Online
JDC - Jazz Duellist Challenge
1.23 or JJ2 - Jazz 2 version 1.23
1.24 or TSF - The Secret Files is ver 1.24
CC - Christmas Chronicals
HH98 - Holiday Hare 98

There are many more for general use than LOL. There are similar LOL ones like L(-/)O - Laughing (-/) Off, or ROFL(-/)O - Rolling On Floor Laughing (-/) Off. You probably know ones people use online when playing, like GTG Got To Go, or BRB Be Right Back, etc etc. There are a lot really.

I'm making Sonic animations anyway, so that the LEAST I'll be able to do is record myself playing Jazz 2 normally (can a capture card/ software do that?), and then with video editing software just paste the individual frames onto the video, so that it looks like I recorded that I'm playing Jazz 2 as Sonic. Then if anyone is curious I can put it on J20 to download. I don't know why, but I'm currently so obsessed with wanting to play as Sonic in Jazz 2 that I'm making the animations with or without sourcecode. But if I ever want to actually make Sonic PLAYABLE, I will need the sourcecode or a character editor to be made and available.

I won't give up. Maybe it'll happen, maybe not. But for all those people that recall a sourcecode being available in the past, find out where and try to find it again. Maybe it's actually out there. Or maybe someone has it on their PC and forgot about it, and no longer plays Jazz 2. But it must be somewhere out there, yes

The sourcecode is out there....
(cue XFiles theme music)

the show is almost over! And just when it was getting better...

Derby: Content/Context edit.

Nadine
May 8, 2002, 10:41 PM
Okay, these forums are too strict with censoring - really. I'm one of the most polite people I know, and I am totally anti-cursing, anti-alcohol, tobacco and drugs. Where's the freedom of speech? My words are replaced with *s and I said nothing wrong! That four letter word at the end of that post starts with D, not F.

Sheesh. Oops! I might get moderated now!:lol:

:D

Newspaz
May 9, 2002, 03:47 AM
Noone will be able to see it besides you. Unless you start trading anims.j2a files (which are over 2 mb). You are wasting your time!

defalcon
May 9, 2002, 04:51 AM
The TSF anims file is about 9-19MB. No point really.

Fighter II
May 9, 2002, 06:59 AM
Well upload that editor Nadine. Something that makes you play sonic in Jazz2. Well, to tell you, I think if I get the source code, I can make dragonball z characters for enemies!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!! I'm not new to the internet.

Fighter II
May 9, 2002, 07:00 AM
One more thing, send the TSF anims.j2a for v1.23. Please!

Violet CLM
May 9, 2002, 12:46 PM
I'm mixed up. How would you edit the anims.j2a anyway?

By the way, this is the 1234th post in the Future of Jazz forum. Nice addition, as I already made the 1000th. Wheeeee.

Fighter II
May 11, 2002, 08:56 AM
No Source Code. Please, I think Epic did not realese the source code. What happen to J2C?

KRSplat
May 11, 2002, 12:43 PM
I am very sure it has never been released.

Link
May 11, 2002, 04:41 PM
Why is everyone all of a sudden so interested in the source code?

If one has something to contribute (such as programming skills) to the 1.25 council, maybe ask to join that private forum. But I don't see the point in threads like this. The 1.25 people are the ones who are the most likely to get the code at this time, and even that chance is seeming pretty thin...

I'm sure they will make a big announcement if they do <strike>finally</strike> get it.

FQuist
May 14, 2002, 06:12 AM
I don't know where Ninja got his info from, but it's not true. There is no source code and there has never been source code around in the community.

Krezack
May 15, 2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Fquist
I don't know where Ninja got his info from, but it's not true. There is no source code and there has never been source code around in the community.

Well hang on there, he is actually correct. I while ago I recall a user posted the source code (if you could call it that) in Assembly language. This does NOT mean we can EDIT JJ2, this does NOT mean people will give it to you, this DOES mean that even if you did get it that unless your a very smart young lad you wont know what the heck any of it means.

In other words: No the source code was not released, not in any understandable format anyway.

PS: even if the developers got the assembly language source code they would be no better off when it came to knowing what any of it meant.

Krezack
May 15, 2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Newspaz
And, there will probably never be an animation changer available for public. Neither will be the sourcecode.

Oh thats subtle, so very subtle. ;)

defalcon
May 16, 2002, 10:11 PM
Yep, very subtle. ;)

Trafton AT
Jun 26, 2002, 09:43 PM
If Epic were to realese the code, Jazz2 will never stop ending.
Was this a joke or a typo?

CazCatRabbit
Jul 6, 2002, 08:12 AM
What :confused:

Nadine
Jul 10, 2002, 12:55 PM
Well, okay. All I know about this is that if there are certain 1.25 people, than are they currently working on a way to get the source code or version 1.25? I mean, those people also have lives and they're probably busy with other things.

If the source code was available somewhere in a confusing format, certainly someone must know what to make of it. Why are there people in this world who can send viruses to your computer, but there's no one to "hack" in any good way? Or am I mistaken about that? Probably.

As I said, I'm working on making Sonic's animations for the game, and maybe also Tails if I want to. That would work because he can hover with his Tails for the helicopter ears thing. For Sonic he will have moves like Spaz. He will have a side attack and a double jump. The side attack will be a spindash, yes. But when I make Sonic jump he won't be in a ball. That's one thing I sometimes don't like about Sonic games. I want my character to always be visable, but when he looks like a ball, he doesn't look much like a character anymore.

Anyway, I hope we can get the source code. If this topic keeps getting replies, I'll keep putting in my word on the issue too. But besides that I'll try and stay off the topic because it's too depressing and pointless to talk about unless we get somewhere with it.

>>Møønßlãzé<<
Jul 10, 2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Nadine
As I said, I'm working on making Sonic's animations for the game, and maybe also Tails if I want to. That would work because he can hover with his Tails for the helicopter ears thing. For Sonic he will have moves like Spaz. He will have a side attack and a double jump. The side attack will be a spindash, yes. But when I make Sonic jump he won't be in a ball. That's one thing I sometimes don't like about Sonic games. I want my character to always be visable, but when he looks like a ball, he doesn't look much like a character anymore.Nintendo will on NOWAY alow using their main charather Sonic the Hedgehog.

Alister
Jul 10, 2002, 01:56 PM
Nintendo?

You probably mean Sega. Nintendo have Mario, remember.
Though, with the release of Sonic games for the GC and GBA, I'm beginning to wonder if Nintendo has managed a secret takeover...

Trafton AT
Jul 11, 2002, 09:48 AM
Hmmm. Problem 1 is that we can't edit ANIMS. Getting Sega to give their best liscence to a small group of fans of a canceled game wouldn't be any more likely than the firely place below us freezing over.

(Derby: Content Edit)

Last edited by Derby 1:50 PM EST on Thursday, July 11th, 2002

Violet CLM
Jul 11, 2002, 12:28 PM
Ooh! Ooh! Fake edit!

Trafton AT
Jul 11, 2002, 01:07 PM
It's a bit above average for a fake edit, though :D

JediGrath
Jul 14, 2002, 06:52 AM
I have the source-code.

(Derby:Secret file edit)

Last edited by Derby 1:50 PM EST on Thursday, July 11th, 2004

Fawriel
Jul 14, 2002, 07:10 AM
Couldn't somebody just make a program that lets us edit the rabbits colours in single-player(without a new tileset for every level I mean)
It would be a beginning.

May I claim the second page in such a serious forum(except for the fake edits)?

Derby:Claim edit

:D

CrazyKiller
Jul 16, 2002, 06:39 PM
As Stating i have no idea how to use this, maybe you guys will know how to use a dissassembler http://www.yoe.org/products/sparc/da.shtml}>
Admin, i know you guys want this, please dont delete!!!

Alister
Jul 17, 2002, 12:17 PM
Firstly, providing links to disassemblers is a slightly questionable practice.
Secondly, what would we do with a SPARC disassembler anyway? Jazz was only made available for x86 and macs, AFAIK.

Nadine
Jul 27, 2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Trafton AT
Hmmm. Problem 1 is that we can't edit ANIMS. Getting Sega to give their best liscence to a small group of fans of a canceled game wouldn't be any more likely than the firely place below us freezing over.

Last edited by Derby 1:50 PM EST on Thursday, July 11th, 2002

Well, there are all sorts of games out there with mods. How could Jazz 2 be any different? We can't edit the ANIMS files YET, but that's exactly why we want the scorcecode - to do things with Jazz 2 we can't do right now. And I certainly don't want Sega to sell Sonic to us! If you've ever played FPS online you can see recognisable characters that people have made and downloaded: Sonic, Homer, Snoopy, etc online. Those franchise weren't sold out, and those people haven't been told to get those models off the websites they were on. It's just fans putting some of their other favouite characters in a new game.

Also I would hope I could make Sonic available for download so others could play as him too - or so that they could see him atleast when I play as him. Or maybe there would be a way to let others see him without them downloading it. I know it uses the local animation file - and that makes sense. I think it would work just like models work on FPS. If the server has the download and it's in use, all other players will download it automatically and see the person being that character. Just because Jazz 2 is a side-scroller doesn't mean it won't work in similar ways to how FPS work when it comes to downloads and mods.

I guess I just have a hard time believing that the animation can't be changed. Look at Duke Nukem 3D - which uses flat sprites for the characters. It doesn't exactly come with a user-friendly character editor, but you can make your own enemies or playable characters for it. Whether it always has to REPLACE existing characters, or if it ADDS them is unknown to me. I just hope we do get that sourcecode, and then we can work something out. Just let me handle the animations.

Fighter II
Jul 27, 2002, 08:19 PM
?????????

Hmmmmmm..........Nadine, I have a friend who's named Omegaxboy. He knows how to edit any animation. He used photo editor. Captures, edit, and save!

JanusJackrabbit
Jul 28, 2002, 08:14 AM
I don't think it's that simple. The animation library is compressed.

defalcon
Jul 29, 2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Nadine
Just let me handle the animations.
It would be cool if we could add custom chars, but even if we get the source it could take a while to figure out how to get in game.

As for the animations, if we get to that stage feel free. :) But I'm gonna have Skulg do some...:D

_TK_
Jul 29, 2002, 11:48 AM
our own custom sprite format is zipped in multiple parts
into this anims.j2a file

pretty darn difficult to extract, again, you're going to need the source

-arjan

that's why anyone can't edit it

StormyThunder
Aug 5, 2002, 04:42 PM
What does the source code do any way?

Hellomoto
Oct 9, 2005, 09:18 AM
What does the source code do any way?

It is the code used to compile and create the game and it would help if we had the sourcecode ;) ... Some people here really need brain upgrades. No offense.

Violet CLM
Oct 9, 2005, 12:31 PM
Some people here really need brain upgrades. No offense.
You just revived a <b>three year old topic</b>. Good job at the brain.

Super_Jarno
Oct 18, 2005, 06:45 AM
Wasnt this uploaded to J2O once and then deleted???

Could a admin explain?

I downloaded it before my computer was formatted.

well FQuist made an VERY FASt answer

ThunderPX
Oct 20, 2005, 02:59 AM
But... WHY don't we have the source? Does nobody out of the dev team have it anymore? Does Epic just not want to give it to us?

White Rabbit
Oct 20, 2005, 03:00 AM
Who knows? Maybe both? :p

ThunderPX
Oct 20, 2005, 04:44 AM
Because if it's the latter, you could always say you're interested in developing a game with the engine. But someone who hasn't got moths flying out their wallets should do that. =P

Grytolle
Oct 20, 2005, 05:46 AM
They are probably ashamed of how badly coded jj2 is...

Pako
Oct 20, 2005, 06:12 AM
With IDA Pro, I decompiled JJ2 in .idb format, so use it! The link is right there!
(http://rapidshare.de/files/6521900/Jazz2.idb.html)

White Rabbit
Oct 20, 2005, 06:21 AM
...?! :eek:

Pako
Oct 20, 2005, 06:23 AM
Dont panic, people! I only opened the 1.25 ( I MEAAAAANNN.... 1.23 ^_^;; ) Jazz2.exe file with IDA Pro! It isn't the real JJ2 source code, but at least is a start. Oh, for editing it, you need the full IDA Pro!

ThunderPX
Oct 20, 2005, 06:28 AM
Well, I remember someone coded a special version of Gens so it processed all the executed code in a ROM to a file. It *might* be possible to do with a PC executable, but it's unlikely.

EDIT: This isn't the real source, by the way, just a disassembly of the exe file. It might contain some useful info, though.

EDIT2: I've already found a lot of Dutch phrases, some sound references and some stuff about "SPAZ3D."

EDIT3: "Retail distribution of this code is strictly prohibited without written permission by Epic." Yes, maybe, but why did they write that vertically? :P And there's some cheats I've never seen before AFAIK, but I haven't cheated in ages. "jjrush," "jjgems," "jjending."

EDIT4: .data:004CF8BC aTweedle db 'TWEEDLE',0
Well, at least Tweedle has some remains.

.data:004D0D38 ; char aShield_plasma[]
.data:004D0D38 aShield_plasma db 'Shield.Plasma',0 ; DATA XREF: sub_460F70+28o
Why is this here among the error messages?

.data:004D34B8 aServer_checkco db 'Server_CheckConnection: Client already active! DUH!',0
XD

.data:004D417C aThisProgramReq db 'This program requires a 256 color display mode.',0
o_O;;

Violet CLM
Oct 20, 2005, 10:19 AM
But... WHY don't we have the source? Does nobody out of the dev team have it anymore? Does Epic just not want to give it to us?
CliffyB doesn't know where it is. I don't think we've heard from the rest lately.

White Rabbit
Oct 20, 2005, 10:41 AM
jjrush, jjending and jjgems all exist and all well-known, but what you've done is really interesting, Thunder. :eek:

Fawriel
Oct 20, 2005, 10:48 AM
Don't you mean "Pako"? ;/

White Rabbit
Oct 20, 2005, 10:55 AM
No, because Thunder posted all that stuff.
Pako disassembled JJ2.exe, but Thunder posted what he found.

ThunderPX
Oct 20, 2005, 10:58 AM
And besides, IDA pro isn't exactly hard to find. I wasn't able to open Pako's file so I did my own disassembly. I think I might ask around SWS2B for tips on how to make a proper disassembly. Interestingly enough, TSF has a LOT more code in it's EXE, and JCS has some code which I originally thought was only for the game itself.

EDIT: The Mac version codes are also in the disassembly although they don't work AFAIK.

ThunderPX
Oct 21, 2005, 02:05 AM
Double post, FOR GREAT JUSTICE.
I posted this over at SWS2B:
Right, so a lot of people have been wanting the source code to the game Jazz Jackrabbit 2. The developers don't know where it is, so sometime earlier today, someone opened it in IDA Pro. I did the same, but now I have a question; how accurate is IDA Pro when making a disassembly of .exe files?
And got this response:
Quite accurate, but probably not 100% complete. That is, some subroutines and data blocks might not be identified as such. That's why it's an interactive disassembler. You, the user, have to improve the entire disassembly manually. But IDA can help quite a bit, with FLIRT, for example. IIRC, Jazz Jackrabbit was made with Turbo Pascal, IDA should be able to recognize and label the library functions of that automatically.
Of course you'll never get the original source code out of the disassembly, I hope that's clear.

This is pretty good news, but now we need someone who understands this stuff =P

Pako
Oct 21, 2005, 03:29 AM
Where's the 1.25 council when you need it...?

ThunderPX
Oct 21, 2005, 03:41 AM
wheres the 1.25 council Monolith when you need it him...?

Fixed.

Pako
Oct 21, 2005, 04:22 AM
Uh? What happened? The 1.25 council got reducted to ONLY MONOLITH?!? OMG :O

Violet CLM
Oct 21, 2005, 07:29 AM
This is pretty good news, but now we need someone who understands this stuff =P
JJ1 was made in Turbo Pascal, not JJ2.

ThunderPX
Oct 21, 2005, 07:39 AM
Hmm... then what was JJ2 written in? I might be able to ask around, I know some people with programming experience.

Monolith
Oct 21, 2005, 09:17 AM
Hmm... then what was JJ2 written in? I might be able to ask around, I know some people with programming experience.
C++

Pako
Oct 23, 2005, 01:29 AM
Whoopee! While I was searching about the weapon 0 mystery in Jazz2.idb, I found something about RingShot, Jazz3D, Spaz3D and Bird3D and SOCK.

ThunderPX
Oct 23, 2005, 03:15 AM
RingShot: I'm not entirely sure what this is, where in the code did you find it?
[name]3D: This is probably referring to the 3D Bonus Stage sprites in Anims.j2a. Bird3D...hmm, me wants =P

Ðx
Oct 23, 2005, 03:18 AM
..aaargh..

Pako
Oct 23, 2005, 04:15 AM
I'm not sure if it was ringshot, ringshoot, bellshot, bellshoot... I'll check later...

cooba
Oct 23, 2005, 04:26 AM
I think RingShot is somehow related to the Gem Rings.

ThunderPX
Oct 23, 2005, 05:23 AM
Could be, but I've found with other things that the code around it will give you a hint. Well, until we get a C++ programmer here anyway =P

piet
Oct 24, 2005, 11:46 PM
i think i will lurn c++ on school soon

Newspaz
Oct 25, 2005, 03:48 AM
i think i will lurn c++ on school soon

They should teach you how to spell first.

Ðx
Oct 25, 2005, 03:55 AM
++ Newspaz

White Rabbit
Oct 25, 2005, 03:55 AM
He knows how to speel dutch atleast. :(
Page tre is mine.

Pako
Oct 31, 2005, 05:40 AM
Click here! (http://www.reset931.net/saiban/Obj_Mit.swf?inputStr=GIVE+US+THE+SOURCE+CODE) Look at what i made... 8D

BattleSpaz
Oct 31, 2005, 06:13 AM
they should give the source code to us!
What do you think epic would do if we would use jazz2 source code without even asking them :D
my opinions:
A) They get angry. (and do something?) 74.9%
B) They don't actually care. 25.9%
C) They congrats us for recreating game to better. 0.2%

piet
Oct 31, 2005, 06:40 AM
They should teach you how to spell first.

i allways spell learn the wrong whay so that does not count ;)

ThunderPX
Oct 31, 2005, 07:27 AM
You mean:
I always spell learn the wrong way so that does not count.

*mauled*

Pako
Oct 31, 2005, 07:57 AM
they should give the source code to us!
What do you think epic would do if we would use jazz2 source code without even asking them :D
my opinions:
A) They get angry. (and do something?) 74.9%
B) They don't actually care. 25.9%
C) They congrats us for recreating game to better. 0.2%
I say:
A.) 24.099%
B.) 75%
C.) 0.001%
EDOC ECRUOS 2JJ EHT SU EVIG CIPE!

Jerrythabest
Oct 31, 2005, 08:49 AM
you mean EPIC GIVES US THE JJ2 SOURCE CODE! ??

Well, this is acually quite funny. Epic doesnt want to give the source code to us. We can get parts of the source code ourselves, maybe even the most important parts. We are able to easily edit rebuild the game and and then edit it. Epic will make the FBI put us all in jail. JJ2 will never die.:lol::lol::lol:

nvm this.

Pako
Oct 31, 2005, 12:10 PM
actually, you can already do that! just acquire a copy of the full IDA Pro to be able to reassemble, and you are done! oh, that reverse thing is part of my evil plan... PUT SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES INTO EPIC WORKER MINDS!!! WAHAHAHAHAHHHAAAAAA!!! oh, well.

n00b
Oct 31, 2005, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, you can make uip stupid 'EPCI IS EVOL CUZ THEY WONT GIVE UZ SURCE KODE' Theories and such all day long. But heres the thing:
They don't have enough of the code at their offices to make a good enough release, or I guess even to work with. They might not even have it anymore come to think of it.

Pako
Oct 31, 2005, 10:11 PM
The first thing is not really possible, because they already made the game, they should have it somewhere. But the second one is REALLY possible, in fact that must be the reason for not giving the source...

Violet CLM
Oct 31, 2005, 11:26 PM
Because the only reason to not give people things is not having them...

Newspaz
Nov 1, 2005, 01:35 AM
The first thing is not really possible, because they already made the game, they should have it somewhere. But the second one is REALLY possible, in fact that must be the reason for not giving the source...

n00b is probably right. They might even not have it anymore. And even if they did they couldn't release it because most of it is Orange Games'. Don't ask me how to contact them though. The company has had a series of moves and name changes and I have no idea who's in charge of it nowadays. I can only guess who actually owns the code for the engine right now.

I think Shadow once told me it was stuck at Lost Boys games somewhere.

Stijn
Nov 1, 2005, 03:53 AM
Orange games = Lost boys games = Guerilla games?

n00b
Nov 1, 2005, 11:43 AM
The programmer(Arjan) also worked for Orange games at the time AFAIK. Somehow or another, Orange Games became the owners of the code, since the three times someone got the license to use it, they got it from Orange Games and not Epic.

Pako
Nov 1, 2005, 11:52 AM
then why the hell we asked a million of times epic for the source code, if orange games are the owners of it?

n00b
Nov 1, 2005, 11:57 AM
Read Newspaz's post.

Newspaz
Nov 1, 2005, 12:47 PM
Orange games = Lost boys games = Guerilla games?
Well, I'm not sure if it's like that. I think it might be more complicated.

FQuist
Nov 1, 2005, 09:05 PM
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/wiki/?Orange_Games">Link</a>

Why do i actually work on ERE, you wonder.

Jerrythabest
Nov 2, 2005, 12:07 PM
I know! Cuz it sucks and you are trying to make it better. <strike>But you wont succeed</strike> But it is getting better already!

UNKNOWNFILE
Nov 3, 2005, 04:43 AM
The source code doesn't exist.
Which is why there's the Jazz Network Blocker by Nimrod.

Look at the list server's motd to find it.

ThunderPX
Nov 3, 2005, 06:44 AM
The source code doesn't exist.
Which is why there's the Jazz Network Blocker by Nimrod.

Look at the list server's motd to find it.

If there was no source code, we wouldn't have a game. And what does the net blocker have to do with it!?

UNKNOWNFILE
Nov 3, 2005, 07:37 AM
If there wasn't a source code we wouldnt have a game.

Well it did exist at one point. But it's dead and buried now, so let's just abandon the subject.

And what does the net blocker have to do with it!?

So that when its running it filters out packets that are used by renamers, ASD, and various other crap like that.

And a final word: If you think it's possible to make a 1.25 try doing it in an ASM editor.

Jerrythabest
Nov 30, 2005, 08:05 AM
I have IDA pro now, but how did you guys get a source code with it?

cooba
Nov 30, 2005, 08:06 AM
If you read this thread carefully then you what you get isn't the source code.

Jerrythabest
Nov 30, 2005, 08:14 AM
I read carefully and it is a GUESS about how the source code could be. And the .idb file of pako gives me an error!

Pako
Nov 30, 2005, 08:56 AM
Just:
1.) This will only work if actually you have the full IDA Pro, if you have it, continue. Open Jazz2.exe.
2.) Edit it (DUH).
3.) Recompile it again.

Easy as that :)

Grytolle
Nov 30, 2005, 09:10 AM
Did you try how the code you got from IDA worked? If you make it an executable again, would it work? If so, then you have the source code of a working Jazz2-like program which you could edit how you please.

...I think ;s

ThunderPX
Nov 30, 2005, 09:42 AM
It works AFAIK, but the point of having the "real" source is to have comments by the programmers to understand things better, and sometimes find some things that weren't compiled.

NinJazz
Dec 1, 2005, 04:54 AM
what?

ThunderPX
Dec 1, 2005, 06:00 AM
what?

Thank you for that extremely helpful contribution to the thread.

Grytolle
Dec 1, 2005, 07:27 AM
But this IDA-extract would be editable if one knows the programming language well enough? Awesome.

Blobby
Dec 2, 2005, 10:19 AM
You could do all sorts with the source code! You could great new baddies, textures, a whole new game! Of course, you need programming skills. Which I lack.

Grytolle
Dec 4, 2005, 02:49 AM
thx 4 sharing m8!

BattleSpaz
Dec 10, 2005, 10:32 AM
I was wondering, Why they won't give us the source code? They now we can get it from the game illegal anyways.. They see how many people likes JJ2! Why not to give it to us? Its so (-) old game they wont do anything with its sourcecode anyway!

ThunderPX
Dec 10, 2005, 11:30 AM
I was wondering, Why they won't give us the source code? They now we can get it from the game illegal anyways.. They see how many people likes JJ2! Why not to give it to us? Its so (-) old game they wont do anything with its sourcecode anyway!

They don't know where the source is either.

Jerrythabest
Dec 10, 2005, 11:59 AM
They dont know what a source code is too. They simply cant think, so they dont know anything!:Z

Sonyk
Dec 10, 2005, 12:35 PM
The game is seven years old. You can't actually expect them to keep track of something that buggy for so long, can you?

Grytolle
Dec 10, 2005, 01:09 PM
You can.

Sonyk
Dec 10, 2005, 01:30 PM
And now look what's happened? You're all disappointed and now some newcomers are trying to make up bad excuses as to why it is they don't have it. See, this is why you shouldn't expect it.

Grytolle
Dec 10, 2005, 01:36 PM
You are expected not to lose things. ;p

BattleSpaz
Dec 11, 2005, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John4300

They don't know where the source is either.

Well, why do all ask source code from them, why don't they ask rihts to get source code from the game and make a new jj2 (1.25)?

Super_Jarno
Dec 11, 2005, 07:06 AM
I think a noob came and uploaded a level called source code :Z :Z :Z

Sonyk
Dec 11, 2005, 07:12 AM
Well, why do all ask source code from them, why don't they ask rihts to get source code from the game and make a new jj2 (1.25)?
Because they want the source code with comments, so that we know what bit of code does what, and what was excluded.

BattleSpaz
Dec 13, 2005, 04:17 AM
Ehh. Allright... Then you have to wait a looong time..because they wont give it so easily, if you would impress them how good levels you make, how big is the community, how much we want 1.25, they would probably let us use it, but all are too lazy to do it, and it will never happen :roll: . Or then you can get it from net or from the game, and the wait would not be so long. You decide the future of jazz!
Ánd im still on that case, if the real version of the game would be downloadable on J2O, we would have even more players, but if you don't want to do it, dont do!

Odin
Dec 13, 2005, 03:10 PM
J2O would probably lose their domain name for hosting warez on the site. That would be a Bad Thing. Besides, JJ2 can be bought for like $10 at Amazon. $10 is nothing compared to the $50 most new PC games cost.

Jerrythabest
Dec 14, 2005, 04:48 AM
But its baaaaaaaad engine isnt worth even $5!

EDIT: I have bought it for €3,50 or so

BattleSpaz
Dec 14, 2005, 07:22 AM
Thats why noone will buy it. I wouldn't buy it even it would cost 1$ because there is no reason to but jazz2 nowdays (actually, I would be too lazy to buy it.). You can actually get better games. BUT because I just like retro games, I like jazz 2 too, so I'm here. I stick with my words: If you would send them Email with community sites, player names, and the people who plays jazz, people who are so kind hosting servers and listserver, it would propably be so awesome, that someone actually still likes their game, they would propably give the games source code.
Otherwise, just talking about this is just waste of time.
Do something!

ThunderPX
Dec 14, 2005, 07:37 AM
Thats why noone will buy it. I wouldn't buy it even it would cost 1$ because there is no reason to but jazz2 nowdays (actually, I would be too lazy to buy it.). You can actually get better games. BUT because I just like retro games, I like jazz 2 too, so I'm here. I stick with my words: If you would send them Email with community sites, player names, and the people who plays jazz, people who are so kind hosting servers and listserver, it would propably be so awesome, that someone actually still likes their game, they would propably give the games source code.
Do something!

You didn't read our posts at all, did you?

UNKNOWNFILE
Dec 14, 2005, 07:38 AM
as I have said before, the source code is dead and buried.

Grytolle
Dec 14, 2005, 09:11 AM
Yeah, but you think sexual dicussions can kill people too...

Violet CLM
Dec 14, 2005, 12:32 PM
I kind of lost track of what you're responding to, but I don't see any mention of JJ3 in this topic, so I'll assume you mean the JJ2 engine. In that case you are so utterly wrong. The JJ2 engine is very probably the most powerful and versatile 2D engine in existence. Why do you think so many companies wanted it?

And what Thunder said... John4300, this is a serious forum. Please try to actually understand the situation of the community before you rant in here.

Odin
Dec 14, 2005, 12:48 PM
as I have said before, the source code is dead and buried.

Stop being a pessimist. Pessimism is illegal in the Future of Jazz forum.

BattleSpaz
Dec 15, 2005, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John4300
Do something!

You didn't read our posts at all, did you?
Actually, I am so lazy (-) that after I read the whole topic I was too busy(=Lazy) to change my post. And actually, I'll shut up here and go playing Half Life2/World Of Warcraft/Command & Conquer generals, anc probably continue doing my levels while waiting for eternity for jj2 1.25...
(And actually, I think Jazz Jackrabbit is nothing in 3D. It should be left in 2D like it was, because 2D is the think that makes JJ2 so great. And also JCS, the easiest to use and overall so great program. And plese don't be so aggressive, I'm stupid you know.)

--End of posting.--

Jerrythabest
Dec 16, 2005, 05:44 AM
I agree. JJ was built for 2D and it shouldnt become 3D. It looses its whole JJ gameplay feeling and thats not so nice. It, of course, is fun if you can play popular 3D games with JJ sprites, but it mustnt be a Jazz game. Jazz is funny in 2D. Not in 3D.

NovaStar
Dec 20, 2005, 11:34 PM
That's the wierdest post I've ever read.

Radium
Dec 21, 2005, 05:42 AM
That's the wierdest post I've ever read.
I concur.

n00b
Dec 21, 2005, 05:54 AM

EDIT: I have bought it for €3,50 or so
Sir, JJ2 is the most robust 2d platforming engine ever.

EDIT- Bleh, UR beat me to it.

Grytolle
Dec 21, 2005, 12:11 PM
Yeh, by like a week...

NovaStar
Dec 22, 2005, 02:22 PM
:lol:

UNKNOWNFILE
Dec 23, 2005, 07:55 PM
Don't you realise that the source code is sitting right in front of you?

It's called Jazz2.exe.

Grytolle
Dec 23, 2005, 11:24 PM
No, I call it "Jazz Jackrabbit 2 v1.23.exe"... ;(

BattleSpaz
Dec 23, 2005, 11:37 PM
Yay, ill be posting again.

But actually, if we would get the source code from jazz2.exe, and change it, so it would be created as 1.25, Fquist would probably ban it for releasing it here, because its hacked warez -.-

cooba
Dec 24, 2005, 01:19 AM
...you people are so ignorant.

ThunderPX
Dec 24, 2005, 02:45 AM
Aww jesus christ.

YES, we can use Jazz2.exe in IDA Pro to extract stuff.
NO, this doesn't help us, because we still don't know what everything is supposed to do. This is why we need the source from BEFORE it was compiled.

Good luck on editing the source. Use IPS patches.

UNKNOWNFILE
Dec 24, 2005, 06:55 AM
Then how come it's possible to hack GameBoy Advance games so that they only play music (http://gsf.caitsith2.net) without needing the source code?

Murderbeam
Dec 24, 2005, 07:27 AM
Easy.
Emulators.
Now that I told the truth, This ends my post.

Sonyk
Dec 24, 2005, 08:29 AM
Emulators don't do anything but emulate the GBA platform. The actual compiled rom is hacked, so that it doesn't play music. It *can* be done, but it's just harder than having the original code with comments, etc.

UNKNOWNFILE
Dec 24, 2005, 08:37 AM
It's a little thing called "trial and error".

I really hate Intel processors because they use functions that vary in bit-ranges, whereas MIPS uses 4-byte instructions, which I am more use to. Sux

piet
Dec 25, 2005, 02:14 PM
cheers :P

Monolith
Dec 25, 2005, 08:43 PM
Don't you realise that the source code is sitting right in front of you?

It's called Jazz2.exe.
That's not the source code, that's the compiled machine code. Source code is very much more useful.

UNKNOWNFILE
Dec 26, 2005, 07:10 AM
Yea, whatever. Most of the bugs caused are internal EXE problems anyways.

Bobby aka Dizzy
Dec 26, 2005, 08:56 AM
Which come from logic errors made in the source code...

FQuist
Dec 26, 2005, 09:05 AM
You can do some useful stuff by editing the EXE. But I don't think you'll manage to fix larger bugs with it, or harder even: add features.

Ninja
Dec 31, 2005, 04:27 PM
wow, this thread has survived for awhile, has it not?

Doubble Dutch
Dec 31, 2005, 04:58 PM
Yes. Weeds tend to.

Sahfire
Jan 19, 2006, 01:31 AM
I HAVE THE SOURCECODE

joking 8D

Grytolle
Jan 19, 2006, 01:38 AM
joking 8DThanks for clearing that up. :r

Speeza
Jan 19, 2006, 08:53 AM
god bl has the source code but he does not know how he can give it to people without it being illegal he says he is making a jazz site of his own and putting it on there i want it nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww nowwwwww

Grytolle
Jan 19, 2006, 10:28 AM
and who is god bl?

Pako
Jan 19, 2006, 11:27 AM
and who is god bl?
With "god" he meant something like "oh my god", and "bl" means... means... its some member, but i dont remember who...

Grytolle
Jan 19, 2006, 01:15 PM
or god is his nick and bl a tag...

White Rabbit
Jan 19, 2006, 01:28 PM
I HAVE THE SOURCECODE

joking 8D
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/images/macro/lol1.jpg

Jerrythabest
Jan 20, 2006, 01:12 AM
++WR:lol:

ThunderPX
Jan 20, 2006, 05:28 AM
AND ONE TIME I THREW MY HARD DRIVE AT THE WALL AND THE PC CRASHED AND I TURNED IT BACK ON AND PLAYED JJ2 AND I COULD PLAY AS ULTRA SPAZ WHO WAS SUPER FAST AND SHOT LASERS OUT OF HIS (-)

>_> <_<

Doubble Dutch
Jan 20, 2006, 04:52 PM
Yes, but its very risky doing that, you can get horrible medical problems.

Grytolle
Jan 20, 2006, 04:58 PM
Yeah, that isn't really "smooth patching".

Violet CLM
Jan 20, 2006, 09:39 PM
AND ONE TIME I THREW MY HARD DRIVE AT THE WALL AND THE PC CRASHED AND I TURNED IT BACK ON AND PLAYED JJ2 AND I COULD PLAY AS ULTRA SPAZ WHO WAS SUPER FAST AND SHOT LASERS OUT OF HIS (-)

>_> <_<
Pfft. Stolen.

Anyway, if giving people the source code is illegal, then how is making a web-site to download it from any different?

Pako
Feb 4, 2006, 11:58 AM
Stupid feature what came to my mind, taken from Worms 4: Mayhem: Adding a tenth weapon, wich is the weapon created by a simple weapon creator, like the one in Worms 4: Mayhem, with a gauge to don't let it to be overpowered.
And also a gun creator to create a new gun with parts of the other guns, those being Jazz gun, Spaz gun, Lori gun, JJA guns and the electroblaster. And while playing online, the parts of the gun and the weapon are already stored into Customweap.j2a or something like that, JJ2 would detect them and show them.
EDIT1: I converted the bouncer, blaster, seeker, RF and TNT into Worms 4: Mayhem weapons, I tested every weapon except the RF and the TNT.
EDIT2: I'm not counting the shields and the OEM weapons.

Screenies:
Worms 4: Mayhem weapon creator, from where i got the idea (http://www.ic-games.co.uk/images/screenshots/3019/screenshots/2.jpg)
Screenie 1, showing the gun editor (http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/471/weaponguncreatorscreenie14jl.png)

UNKNOWNFILE
Feb 4, 2006, 07:21 PM
FTR: There are exactly 14 weapons. The tenth one does not work, and the other three are only obtainable via h4x. (There could also be hidden animations of the older pepperspray and electro)

Jerrythabest
Feb 4, 2006, 11:20 PM
omg? screenshots/links/info about weapon11, 12, 13 and 14 plz! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!! :D:DD:D:D:D:D:D:D:D8D

Pako
Feb 5, 2006, 05:47 AM
If with 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 you mean the shields (10, 11, 12, 13) and the OEM weapons (14, 15) I am not counting those.

Grytolle
Feb 5, 2006, 05:52 AM
No, I think he meant what there was room for in the code

Jerrythabest
Feb 5, 2006, 06:15 AM
mayb there really is, but then HE MUST REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!
One word:

PM-FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHHA!!!

UNKNOWNFILE
Feb 5, 2006, 07:26 AM
burger@contrabandent.com

n00b
Feb 5, 2006, 07:29 AM
If with 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 you mean the shields (10, 11, 12, 13) and the OEM weapons (14, 15) I am not counting those.
He said 10 doesn't work. So it'd be 11,12,13, and 14 for sheilds

The OEM weapons are 8 and 9, which are the electroblaster and pepper spray in the final version of jj2.

cooba
Feb 5, 2006, 07:51 AM
I've hacked JJ2 a bit, and the memory address for weapon type goes from 0 to F (15) 0-8 are the nine normal weapons, A, B, C, and D are the shield weapons. 9, E, and F are nothing.<!---->

Jerrythabest
Feb 5, 2006, 08:56 AM
that is an explaination of the range of the Destruct Scenery parameter 'Weapon' being 0-15!

So the weapons are
1 -Blaster
2 -Bouncer
3 -Freezer
4 -Seeker
5 -RF
6 -Toaster
7 -TNT
8 -Pepper Spray
9 -Electro Blaster
0 -None
A -Shield 1
B -Shield 2
C -Shield 3
D -Shield 4
E -None
F -None
The bold ones are the ones we seem to have talking about

Violet CLM
Feb 5, 2006, 09:43 AM
Given that settings 3, 8 and 9 don't work, I somehow doubt you can set destuct scenery to only be destructable by shield weapons. Have you actually tested this?

cooba
Feb 5, 2006, 09:50 AM
...Fireball is weapon 8, not Pepper Spray.

Pako
Feb 5, 2006, 10:26 AM
AND I was talking about the custom weapon being the 0 one.

UNKNOWNFILE
Feb 5, 2006, 02:04 PM
that is an explaination of the range of the Destruct Scenery parameter 'Weapon' being 0-15!

So the weapons are
1 -Blaster
2 -Bouncer
3 -Freezer
4 -Seeker
5 -RF
6 -Toaster
7 -TNT
8 -Pepper Spray
9 -Electro Blaster
0 -None
A -Shield 1
B -Shield 2
C -Shield 3
D -Shield 4
E -None
F -None
The bold ones are the ones we seem to have talking about

What about 10 - FF?

Jerrythabest
Feb 6, 2006, 08:30 AM
ehhhm that list wasnt about the parameter.. this one is:

0 -All
1 -Blaster and TNT
2 -Bouncer and TNT
3 -TNT
4 -Seeker and TNT
5 -RF and TNT
6 -Toaster and TNT
7-15 -TNT

Yes I have tested this some months ago. TNT is also laser.

cooba
Feb 6, 2006, 11:09 AM
0 -All
1 -Blaster and TNT
2 -Bouncer and TNT
3 -TNT
4 -Seeker and TNT
5 -RF and TNT
6 -Toaster and TNT
7-15 -TNT8 - Fireball and TNT. ;)

speed-devil
Feb 6, 2006, 02:03 PM
i guess Epic lost the source code , so they cant give it out public , its just an idea ,
i dont know they arent smart IF they got the source code and if they would give it public they ould get much money because they gave it to us ( or editors or something)

but i guess they lost is :/ stupid idea but ,**** it:P

Violet CLM
Feb 6, 2006, 08:59 PM
...how would they get money, exactly?

Jerrythabest
Feb 7, 2006, 06:23 AM
what is fireball?

ThunderPX
Feb 7, 2006, 07:04 AM
what is fireball?

OEM pepperspray.

speed-devil
Feb 9, 2006, 08:09 AM
...how would they get money, exactly?

well , some people who like to edit the jazz jackrabbit 2 would donate it to Epic games! , but its a stupid idea :) never mind then

MTK
Feb 15, 2006, 11:28 PM
well , some people who like to edit the jazz jackrabbit 2 would donate it to Epic games!
Somehow, with UT and Gears of War, I highly doubt that Epic is hurting for money to the point that releasing the JJ2 source would be a monetary bonus :)

It'd be nice if they did, but I'm not really counting on it.