PDA

View Full Version : The Moving Bot

n0
May 16, 2002, 05:57 PM
Hey, I was setting up a fourm of my own, and I was wondering how you did the Moving Bot.

Thanks Admins!

Link
May 16, 2002, 06:54 PM
Well it probably depends on what code base you are using. If you are using a bad forum like ezboard, you can't really do it.

I don't know how they did the moving bot, but they either programmed it themselves (in PHP) or got a code snippet for it (or it might be built into vB)

EvilMike
May 16, 2002, 08:13 PM
My guess is that one day an admin created an account called that and gave the password to all of the other admins. The Moving Bot! is just a normal board user.

Violet CLM
May 16, 2002, 11:10 PM
He/she/it's never done anything that a normal user couldn't do, other then have a special status. Let's picket him/her/it.

FQuist
May 17, 2002, 08:34 AM
"The Moving Bot!" was a piece of code. PhpBB 1.0 originally just moved topics to a new forum without leaving a moved notice, so I made a code snippet that copied the topic and added a response by the moving bot. It was just an alternative. You can better just make threads be redirected automatically, like in vB.

KRSplat
May 17, 2002, 01:04 PM
How does it know when to move something?

(I assumed what EvilMike said was right.)

FQuist
May 17, 2002, 05:03 PM
An admin presses a button called move? :P

||Slim
May 17, 2002, 05:57 PM
perhaps the word "bot" in its name got people confused, actually thinking this so called bot has some intelligence in it. :P

KRSplat
May 17, 2002, 06:01 PM
Oh. ;p