PDA

View Full Version : The new Maya Learning Edition...Free!

Teej
May 18, 2002, 05:26 AM
This is a great chance for people who want to get into graphics and 3D animation, but don't want to use warez and don't want to give up their bank accounts.

Go to http://www.aliaswavefront.com . They are the people who made the award winning program, Maya. It has been used to make Gran Torismo 3 and movies like Ice Age, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and much more.

On their website, there is a link to the new Maya Learning edition, which is a free download. It has no time-outs and it is full-featured.

One problem is for people who have low bandwidth connections, the 136 MB download for PC and the Mac OS X (10.1.2) download of 149 MB is quite alot.

System requirements? Thats another story....

You need either Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP and on the Mac side, you need Mac OS X (10.1.2) . Thats right. It will not work on 95,98 or even Windows ME for PCs and it will not work on Mac OS 9.2 and lower.

Hardware? BOOM!

• Pentium processor, at least 600 MHz
• 512 Mbytes RAM (Yes 512 MB of RAM!!!)
• CD-ROM drive
• Hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card
• Overlay plane capability is recommended.
• 3-button mouse with mouse driver software (Yes! You need a 3 button mouse!)

Minimum disk space requirements:
• 440 Mbytes temporary space needed for download and installation startup.
• 270 Mbytes needed for the Personal Learning Edition software installation.

What about Macs? BOOM again!

Hardware Requirements:
• G4 processor (though G3 systems are not specifically qualified to run Maya, these systems may be acceptable for general Maya use)
• 512 Mbytes RAM
• CD-ROM drive
• Hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card (ATI Radeon, Rage, rage mobility, nVidia geforce 2, 3)
• 3-button mouse with mouse driver software (Yes, you need a 3-button mouse for the mac. Go find one now. I have seen only one in my whole life-time for the Mac.

And for the Mac you also need
• Internet Explorer 5.1 or higher

To go to the download page to check it out, Click here. Yes. On this text. (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Tmpl/Maya/html/index.jhtml?page=/en/Community/Special/maya_ple/index.jhtml&style=normal)

Once you have the thing, you will be able to make really cool smoke effects and the like. You will have a huge studio at your hands.

Have lots of fun!

KRSplat
May 18, 2002, 05:42 AM
Hehehe. I meet all the Windows requirements.

Teej
May 18, 2002, 07:19 AM
*Gasps at KRSplat* :D
I meet the requirements too.
I'll give you guys a kinda review when i get the thing installed (this afternoon).

DarkShadow
May 18, 2002, 08:23 AM
If you want more free stuff you can go to 3dbuzz.com
you have to register (which is free) then request a cd that teaches you Maya, 3Ds Max and another one. And the shipping is free too.
I registered for one and I got it, its pretty cool. But I don't meet the requirements for Maya so i'm not learning it anymore :(

DS

Wild Angel
May 18, 2002, 07:27 PM
I have the full version of Maya. ^-^
I need to install it but I'm too lazy to go find deh CD.

Teej
May 19, 2002, 04:50 AM
You actually got Maya at 1999$??!!?? ( that is the price for the full version )

Or is it from somebody else.....

Teej
May 19, 2002, 04:55 AM
Well, i got installed last night.

Very impressive program. It comes with masses of Lessons on how to use the thing. The only annoying thing is a blasted water mark on some of the windows that does not go away.

I'm sure there is a crack somewhere that could remove it.

Oh and about the 3-button mouse thing. You actually really need one to use it. You can also use a roller-ball if it can click down. It counts as a middle button (which i am very glad of, 'cause thats all i have :D ). No 3-button mouse = no Maya.... :(

But then, most of you people into computer animation already have 3-button mice anyway.

White Rabbit
May 19, 2002, 04:56 AM
OMIGOD!!! What kind of system requirements is THAT?!!! It's completely insane!! *&*^%$@? ^%@5&*^!*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teej
May 19, 2002, 04:59 AM
very high ones

Wild Angel
May 20, 2002, 12:10 AM
It's a hard program. :P
It was used to create stuff like LoTR, Harry Potter, and I forgot the other ones.
But it's an impressive program, that's what.
And no, I didn't pay the full $2,000.

Stijn
May 21, 2002, 04:57 AM
How much did you pay then? :D

Teej
May 21, 2002, 07:45 AM
*cough*:D Wild Angel used warez... :D*cough*

JJ BBoy KS
May 21, 2002, 03:37 PM
My brother used Maya to make <A HREF="http://www.wsu.edu/~drbridge/movies/">this movie.</A> It's awesome! :)

(I'm talking about the Godzilla avi movie, but he also made all the others with maya. :cool: )

Wild Angel
May 21, 2002, 10:30 PM
They're not warez, and I can't remember how much I paid... *ponders*
Oh well.