PDA

View Full Version : Source code Retrived?

Fighter II
Jun 1, 2002, 08:07 PM
Well, I contacted Epic Megagames. I said to Mark Rein that if he release the source code to me, I would not release the j2e episode utility in public. I wish he could realese it to me. For one condition, I think that he doesn't give the source code, then I will release the j2e utility in public. It should be on J20, Rabbit Force thing, any jazz 2 website. Any ideas?

Red_XIII
Jun 2, 2002, 12:09 AM
Isn't this highly impossible? Who would give <b>you</b> the source code? Well.... Yeah.... Mark Rein? Who?

I doubt it. At least don't do something illegal. Cos... Well, the source code and engine of Jazz is... well :(

Alister
Jun 2, 2002, 01:10 AM
The best way to ask for the source code would be for someone to create a well-phrased, polite letter. This would then be posted on this board, where everyone in the community could suggest improvements. Then an elected representative (chosen from active, long-term community members) could submit the letter to whoever is most likely to be able to get us the source code.

I'm guessing this is the opposite to what happened here.

Haze
Jun 2, 2002, 01:59 AM
*sigh* :) This has been done time and time again. Even Shadow had a heart-to-heart talk about it with Arjan Brussee.
All the officials can say is "We'll see about it." Which is *frightfully* true. The web of legal agreements surrounding Jazz (Epic owns Jazz, Arjan owns Jazz, G.O.D. owns a piece, hey... it surprises me ID doesn't own a lil' piece ;)) prevents anyone from releasing the source code.

The best option would be for all the involved parties to just sit around the table and discuss this matter once and for all. It's not impossible, just very VERY hard to do. :)
On that matter, you could send them a letter. And in that case we could come forward with a representative.

Link
Jun 2, 2002, 10:32 AM
Fighter II, an ultimatum\blackmail like that won't get us any closer to the source code. It just makes them think worse of the whole JJ2 community.

I think a letter is a good idea. Like a paper business letter, sent by snail-mail. I'm good at writing letters...hmmm maybe I could do it :)

FQuist
Jun 3, 2002, 08:12 AM
I'm all in for the letter idea, but I find the blackmailing thing you did ridiculous! They owe us nothing, you know. Most games do not have it's source code released. Having the source code is not a right, it's a present.

All you're doing is making them mad. Ever thought of the fact that they could sue you if you released the thing?

Ninja
Jun 5, 2002, 11:59 PM
*takes off sunglasses and looks towards the camera*

"Source code Source Code Yummy Yummy Source Code!"

Feline
Jun 7, 2002, 06:32 AM
I know this may sound a little stupid, but it's really true. The fact is that Jazz2 isn't that hard to make. It just takes a while. It's a simple DirectDraw program that takes the tilesets and places them on a few 2d array's. The back layer (or 2d array) is displayed first. Then comes the second, overwriting the first in the appropriate places and so on. Then, the animations are displayed by opening the animations file in the jazz2 directory. The animations are displayed whenever the fourth layer is displayed. It's really that simple, besides the collision detection.

Trafton AT
Jun 29, 2002, 11:08 AM
They owe us nothing, you know.
Other than the disappointment we got when they cancled JJ3, Jazz for Gameboy, Jazz 3 for Playstation...

Trafton AT
Jun 29, 2002, 11:09 AM
I also agree with the blackmail part. It's not getting us anywhere to blackmail people. In fact, it defeats the purpose of getting them to feel sorry for us in the first place :)