PDA

View Full Version : Help! My PC freezes and starts beeping!

Cpp
Jul 12, 2002, 10:54 AM
Hey.

After reading this you can vote on the poll to make fun of my PC because it sux.

I need some help with my PC.
You see I got a problem with it. Sometimes when I'm using my PC it suddenly stops responding and starts beeping rapidly. The first thing that I noticed when I was playing UT was that my mouse stops responding because I couldn't turn around. My keyboard is still responding because I could move. Then after about a second after that my computer freezes along with the game. The screen is usually showing the last frame after the lockup. Keyboard also freezes. Then after about another second after that the computer starts beeping rapidly and doesn't stop until I restart it. It's just sick if something like that happens when you're in the middle of yout favourite game and winning. And because of that I've been suffering a lot of data loss recently and I have had this problem for some time now. The problem happens when I'm using my controls (when in game and when not). Usually when I make a sudden move with my mouse. The same thing happens when I'm trying to type something like chatting in jj2 or posting on JCF. I tried to post this before but the problem caught me :( I don't know if it is a software or hardware problem. Maybe there is a software running on my PC, I can't see it and it causes this mess. But I doubt that. I belive my Dexxa optical mouse has something to do with it. You see sometimes my mouse suddenly freezes. Unlike before, this time it's just mouse. I can see the LED responding to moves but the mouse pointer doesn't. So I have to disconnect the mouse from the PC and reconnect it to make it work again.

What should I do:confused:? (vote on the poll)
Can anyone help? (I ask seriously)

I got P2 300 MHz, 256MB of RAM, 4GB HDD and my Dexxa optical mouse of course.
Win 98 First Edition. Yuck.

||Slim
Jul 12, 2002, 11:54 AM
Have any other mouses? Try those I guess.. try running virus scanners, ad-aware (or those just might freeze).

Trafton AT
Jul 12, 2002, 01:39 PM
I got P2 300 MHz, 256MB of RAM, 4GB HDD and my Dexxa optical mouse of course.
This is way too slow. Viruses aren't your problem. What's the graphics card?

SteelTalon
Jul 12, 2002, 03:05 PM
First of all, are you using UT's OpenGL renderer? If you are, I suggest you switch to D3D quickly, because it says right in the program that OpenGL isn't officially supported. On my computer it causes a memory leak when the game closes.

Second of all, is your mouse a USB mouse? I imagine that could cause some sort of trouble with a computer that is as old as yours. Did you install software that came with your mouse? Whatever you do, do NOT install software that comes with your mouse. All that it is is an irritant.

At first, I thought you were getting boot codes when you said you were getting beeping noises. But it seems you are able to boot. It very well could be a virus, but it sounds more like old system instability to me. Too much crap installed on an ancient OS, I assume. Or a new OS installed over an old one.

I think ultimately you should either buy a new computer, or back up all your crucial files, and then reformat your drive, and reinstall Windows. That always does the trick.

DarkShadow
Jul 13, 2002, 06:29 AM
Buy a new computer, the one you have is junk.

Get this one (http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/custom/thunderbird.htm) :o .

(my boots cost more) ;P

& after you get a new Pc, reformat your old comps hd & network them. It will still be good for coding or typing and small games.

IMO

Oh and after you get a new computer, you will have to make your progs xp compatable :P.

Cpp
Jul 13, 2002, 10:41 AM
Slim: Yea I have one more mouse but it can only be connected to a COM port. My current mouse is connected to a PS/2 port. I'm not sure if that won't cause any trouble/conflicts. I have a virus scanner but it didn't detect anything. I need to get an update.

Trafton: 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000. No problems with it so far.

SteelTalon: Ow sorry. Just uninstalled UT :P but this was NOT an UT problem. It happens for example when I'm writing something in notepad like this text. I think I was using D3D already. No. My mouse is connected to a PS/2 port as well as my keyboard. Umm yea I installed the software. But I don't use it. I'm not sure if there were any drivers in that but it installed a program of some kind/it doesn't run automatically. And the mouse worked fine when I replaced it with my old one and BEFORE I installed the software. I doubt it's a virus for I have never had one on my PC. Too much crap? True. Actually I reinstalled my windwos quite a lot of times in the past. Well I'm definately getting a new PC soon. I'll format this one.

Darkshadow: Sure. I got the new components listed. To network them? Good idea. I was thinking about that too. But there's no room for both in my room :) Ow and my progs already have XP support. You don't visit STRONGHOLD:Jazz much, do you?

Trafton AT
Jul 13, 2002, 09:29 PM
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000...interesting...I dobut it's the problem, though...

Link
Jul 17, 2002, 12:53 PM
I would recommend trying the serial mouse. They work just as well as PS/2 mice. Unless you have a dire need for all of your COM ports, try the serial mouse.

Also, try and figure out if the beeping is coming from the OS or the hardware itself. Look in your motherboard manual and see if you can find anything about the beeping. I've never seen windows beep like that before, so I suspect it is a hardware thing.

Try doing a defrag and scandisk of your hard drive, and if possible, do a cleanup (get rid of all the junk). And of course, it would always be a good idea to get a new computer :) If you want to custom-build it, I can help you choose the correct parts and stuff (but it is also fun to research it yourself)

DarkShadow
Jul 17, 2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Overlord
Darkshadow: Sure. I got the new components listed. To network them? Good idea. I was thinking about that too. But there's no room for both in my room :) Ow and my progs already have XP support. You don't visit STRONGHOLD:Jazz much, do you? [/B]

Actully (believe it or not) I do visit STRONGHOLD jazz once in a while, I just never (vensured) to visit the "news" section. I was at all the other places :P.

Cpp
Jul 18, 2002, 11:24 AM
Aww nevermind. I found what the problem was. I bought some extension cables a while ago for my mouse and keyboard because their cables were too short. I recently removed them to test if the problem would strike again but it didn't. My PC is as good as new :P But I'm not sure why that caused the trouble. Hmm...

DarkShadow
Jul 18, 2002, 11:37 AM
Nevertheless you still need a new computer ;)

Super Saiyan
Jul 19, 2002, 04:11 AM
Leave this computer junk and start going out with girls

Cpp
Jul 19, 2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Super Saiyan
Leave this computer junk and start going out with girls

I was afraid of that :D