PDA

View Full Version : Strange email..

||Slim
Jul 15, 2002, 06:03 PM
Hmm...

I questioned Bob about this earlier but I guess I still didn't fully understand why..

I recieved the W32.Klez.H@mm virus from nitro@jazz2online.com. What I find so strange is how the virus got the last name of jazz2online.com.. maybe someone who was sending the virus came to this website and faked it (obviously it was a fake email, as in not being from nitro@jazz2online.com). So i'm just wondering why.. any ideas?

dopeh
Jul 16, 2002, 01:16 AM
I'm receiving weird e-mails, too, last couple of weeks...

Link
Jul 16, 2002, 07:15 AM
This virus makes it seem like it is from someone in the sender's address book.

So whoever sent it to you had nitro@jazz2online.com in his\her address book.

It is a spread-by-email virus, so whoever sent it to you did not do so deliberately.

(Off-topic: A jazz2online.com email address? I wouldn't mind one of those...)

DarkShadow
Jul 16, 2002, 08:10 AM
It doesn't have to be fake.

Maybe it was him that sent in to you.

For some virus's if you get them they send the same virus to everyone on his/her address book.

If you ever receive a virus from somone and your virus scanner detects it; send them an email that they have the virus & if you are nice the link that shows how to fix it. (like on norton.com or mcafee.com)

Link
Jul 16, 2002, 08:36 AM
That is true, but for this specific virus it fakes the address. See this page for more info:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.h@mm.html

FQuist
Jul 16, 2002, 12:40 PM
To get a jazz2online.com email(redirect), send me your wanted nickname and your current adress to me in a private message.

||Slim
Jul 16, 2002, 04:11 PM
aha... didnt read the info on the virus.

n0
Aug 2, 2002, 08:24 AM
Coolness!!! I want a @Jazz2online.com e-mail! Private message is on the way.

Back on topic: My other computer had klez, and my friend's computer had it, and...

Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2002, 01:09 AM
Nitro does have a @jazz2online e-mail (and im not going to give any information about that). I think he got his computer formatted a few weeks ago. He might have had a virus.

Michael
Aug 3, 2002, 02:29 AM
Darkshadow, you sayign I sent the virus? imma not ignore that. Why the heck would I send a fellow Jazzer a virus?!
Gar, I didn't reformat recently.
If Q said it I geuss I can too: my nitro@jazz2online.com email is just a redirect of michael_zeevi@hotmail.com address. Thus, send a message to my J2O address and I recieve it in ma hotmail inbox.

Havn't udnerstood the part about address books, I know I don't have Slim in my address book though. o.0

I didn't send the virus, either I was framed or something else wierder. Slim's cool with me.
Did it do any damage Slim? what was in the E-mail? or did you not open it? how big was it? any attachments?

||Slim
Aug 3, 2002, 05:27 AM
no damage at all. norton found it :) even in a .zip.. i thought norton didnt scan compressed files. oh well.. no damage. (attempted to open the .zip)

Link
Aug 3, 2002, 07:05 AM
Nitro, you didn't send the virus. The person who sent it has you in his\her address book. (And the person who sent it didn't mean to send it either...this virus sends automatically)

Slim, do you still have the message? You could check the headers for the IP address that sent it, and then give it to a JCF admin to check against. I was able to notify Drake of a virus he had by doing this.