PDA

View Full Version : A New Program Idea

Spaz Boy
Jul 27, 2002, 01:17 PM
I posted this on the J2HG Message Board, but I feel like if I post it here too, it might get a little bit more attention.

A few days ago, I was surfing around, and came across an internet radio program. It was similiar to others, but, not being a big internet radio fan, I had never seen a request button before.

The whole idea of internet radio is only listening when a song you like is playing, right? So, since Overlord has proven with Project Controller, it is possible to change the level loop. So do you think it might be possible to create a program interacting with webpages to allow a server to be run where users could vote and request levels to have the server to run?

Unfortunately, I'm no expert on coding...I can read/understand most code, but I don't have enough knowledge of it to actually write a program possible to do this.

It should be fairly easy actually. The users visit the site, request a level which is then sent to the queue in a MySQL database. The program reads from the MySQL database to figure out what level to put on next. As it reads the loop, it changes the level loop accordingly.

Gimme your thoughts and maybe something might get accomplished.

-sb

Btw, I didn't mention this on the post in j2hg, but I can help. :P

KRSplat
Jul 27, 2002, 03:35 PM
Nice idea. But isn't thay kind of killing the point of having a server or client?

stripe
Jul 27, 2002, 04:35 PM
Or how about in-server level voting?

And while we're at it, is there no program to switch levels automatically after a certain time? This is really common in other games.

stripe

Link
Jul 27, 2002, 06:07 PM
I could make that! :D

It doesn't even have to use MySQL. I know enough about HTTP protocol that I could make a simple web server within the same program as the level changer.

Although a separate PHP thing would be easier, but it would require a page to be placed on a PHP-enabled server. If the web server was built right in, it would be much faster and could run on any computer right away.

Monolith
Jul 27, 2002, 06:21 PM
I had already thought of something very much like that. If I had the time, I'd work on it.

Tik
Jul 27, 2002, 06:57 PM
Interesting idea, though it might be annoying to be voting and playing at the same time, buh.

On an off-topic note, I liked Stripe's suggestion of automatically changing levels instead of having to get a certain number of points, roasts, etc

atesoRJOL
Jul 28, 2002, 04:48 AM
why not a program to switch the host?:p

Cpp
Jul 28, 2002, 09:56 AM
I posted this on the J2HG Message Board, but I feel like if I post it here too, it might get a little bit more attention.

Belive it or not, something similar is already planned to be a part of Jazz 2 Mutation A.K.A Project Cataclysm 2. A mutator called Voting should allow players to change the level, game type, count, kick/ban players by voting over jj2 chat. If most of the players in the server vote for the same action it will be executed. I just need time to learn new VB stuff because what I know now is not enough to work on the project. It is about 15% done.

-Over

Spaz Boy
Jul 28, 2002, 10:51 AM
Go Overlord! Whoo hoo!

Link: If you were to make it with an integrated webserver that would be fine, but a version should also be made fo those of us already with one. Or at least allow the port to be changed. And if it was built into a program, you should still have the pages be somewhere so that they may be edited. So they fit with the rest of the website's theme, or the user can simply view the source. ;) Long live open source.

Overlord: That sounds awesome. I'd me more than happy to beta test. ;p And actually, if I ever put a dedicated server up, which I will do sometime, I will definitely use it.

atesoJOL: Too many obvious problems with that that I can see. For example, what if the user has the ports blocked (by a firewall, router, etc.) then if the server is turned over to them, the rest of the users try to connect to an unconnectable server. My answer: Just move the level and tileset out of your "cache" folder and restart the server. :)

Well, thanks for the response.

Unhit
Aug 2, 2002, 09:13 AM
Very good idea imho. Go, Link :)!

Trafton AT
Aug 4, 2002, 01:12 PM
Good idea. I'm sure Overlord, Link, or Spazzy could make a program like that.