PDA

View Full Version : "newbies" this, "newbies" that...

FreeLance57
May 16, 2001, 12:40 PM
why don't us oldies stop moaning and start playing again! if we all start playing, the sucky newbies will decide to leave because of our higher skills. (okay so i'm a bit rusty now...but i'm working on that)

Violet CLM
May 16, 2001, 12:49 PM
We want the newbies to leave? Don't make fun of a person simply becasue he/she is a newbie, everyone has been a newbie once, even you. (Did I get the wording right there?) Anyway, if we got no new blood the community would slowly die, with no way to replenish itself.

Electric Ir
May 16, 2001, 01:45 PM
Newbie is just a 'rank' or 'term' for a player that did join the community a little time ago. It has been used on a bad way, against people. Then also, people are thinking that they're better because they are 'midbees' or 'oldies'. As in fact, all people have the same worth. Its just a kind of discrimintation we all do - of part of us -.

The point of this post: Forget the whole newbie war. Be kind to people and be happy with new players.

~Electric

GuMmYBeAr!
May 16, 2001, 01:50 PM
Yez itz truuuueee.... if theres no newbies JJ2 will die.. .. . but theres somethin... ummm... yeh well its good... we're all on this board, talkin about jj2... yeh i know its the point of the board, but.... I dun relly see most of the people here playing jj2 :\

Tanpopo Kiku
May 16, 2001, 02:00 PM
Oh, come on, you oldies! Stop putting newbies down, that is rather...shall we say, rude? You were all once newbies.

But...I WOULD love to see you play on a server, FreeLance (one that's not passworded, anyway). I don't play much myself, but Tim does.

FreeLance57
May 16, 2001, 02:42 PM
You guys got me wrong. I said the "SUCKY" newbies. Meaning the ones that are annoying and can't play worth a darn. Same goes for sucky oldies.

I was pretty much saying oldies and middlies should start back playing again so that I'll have someone more my age and skill level to fight against.

(right now though, I suck like the newbies lol)

FreeLance57
May 16, 2001, 04:10 PM
Okay then, "sucky people".

The thing is, PiZZa, most of my friends are oldies or middlies. And I pretty much stick with my age group. (with the exception of iCeD and a few others). All of these newbies fall in the range of 11-13, and are pretty immature at times. It's not their fault though.

SteelTalon
May 16, 2001, 05:59 PM
Ugh. I'm sick to death of this "newbies are your best, lifelong friends" stuff. Truth is, the typical newbie is a disrespecting, immature, and annoying player. Granted, there are exceptions, but those are somewhat rare.

"You were a newbie once, too."

No, I wasn't, in the respect we're talking about. I think the term newbie has shifted more from a "new person at a game" to an "immature player", because the majority of the "new people at the game" were "immature players". And I've never been an immature player if I may say so myself. Because that (the "new" newbie term) is what we're arguing about. Everyone, of course, had to be a newbie at some time. That's not debatable - so why would we be arguing about fact?

"Hey, they're new, give them a break!"

I do if they act correctly. But when someone cusses me out immediately after meeting me, I tend to have a certain bias.

What I'm saying here is, I don't have anything against newbies, but rather against their stereotype.

FreeLance57
May 16, 2001, 06:17 PM
couldn't've said it better muhseff, st.

FreeLance57
May 16, 2001, 08:12 PM
actually pizza, i've enjoyed jazzing with quite a few newbies, like Zieg and some others that weren't annoying. So I don't just look at one and stereotype.

Wild Angel
May 17, 2001, 12:08 AM
I can still beat the newbies, but I am still rusty, I stopped playing for 3 years, what do you expect? My mums BF is putting in a code so my JJ2 will work on a firwall...

I remember when I was new, but within a week I had instant popularity, heh. Everyone treated me very nice, but they had no mercy. I learned alot because they didn't have mercy, and showed me some tips. I was a curious eight-year old . I got teased by someone named X-Pac, but he quit. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Anytime I run into a newbie I show no mercy, but I talk to them about clones, removing :, some tips that are old, and stuff that was forgotten. I am considered a "oldie". http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I miss the 7OF9 side of me...*sighs*

Resistance is Futile.

GoldBones
May 17, 2001, 02:00 AM
I am a newbie so shaddup ^-^ Humph, ya all sit here and talk, I don't see more than half of you that really play jj2! *storms off*

Tik
May 17, 2001, 06:34 AM
Actually, if we started really playing again, then the "newbies" would get better and be less evil.

And some of us weren't ever "newbies", becuase a rare few of us (myself, Steal Talon, ect), were here when the game first came out. Then everyone was new at the game. There were no "newbies", there were just Jazzers. It was later when the new wave a Jazzers started flooding the old Epic MMB that we started to have "newbies", and then, "newbies" just meant that they were, well, new. Some were idiots and cussed and junk, but they were ignored.

Fquist_old
May 17, 2001, 07:48 AM
On , ElectroPiZZa wrote:

STOP PUTTING DOWN NEWBIES! We were ALL once newbies. That's right, YOU. ME. That guy over there in the turtleneck. EVERYONE. Is it me, or does everyone seem to worship oldies? Just because they've been around for a few more years or so magically makes them a ruler of the community? We are JAZZERS. People. Humans. Lifeforms. Time does not make any difference. Sure, so they may have more experience with Jazz and gameplay, but so what? Everyday, I see people complaining about "newbies". New-bleeping-bies! "i haet neewbiez dey suk =(" is one example of the utterly pathetic lines. And yet, everyone seems to say "Heya, (insert oldie name here)! LONG TIME NO SEE!" in a gullible manner.

And I remember a few months ago, someone started a whole clan for OLDIES ONLY! Well dot my socks polka-dotted red and call me Ann! This is one of the most sickening things I've ever seen. Oldies only?! What kind of an idea is that? Oldies shmoldies! We are JAZZERS. We should be treated EQUALLY. Like normal HUMAN BEINGS. Also, people have been whining and saying "Am I considered an oldie?", when yet I always answer, "No, you are not an oldie. You are neither a newbie. You are a JAZZER." Then, which is even more moronically sickening is "I'm an oldie, therefore I'm better than you all!". Bah! I know you may be skipping this post, and I know you'll never read this or agree with this, but take into consideration of what I just said. It's an opinion, and more or less the truth. BAH! I need some water now. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

- Piz

I don't think "newbies" are bad myself, but you ignore many points here in your rant against generalizing. Generalizing can be good, you know? It's nonsense that we should stop treating "oldbies" with more "hi " messages then "newbies", etc. Because "oldbies" are known. You know, when you see someone for the first time it is weird when you say "Hello X! LONG TIME NO SEE!", because you don't know him/her yet, right? Yep.

What I think is is that newbies is a term for people new to the game. Oldbies is a term for the more experienced people, that have found their way into the community. It's bad that newbies has been a term for bad-acting people, but it's good that players are associated with newbies. Because a community can't survive without a line between experienced people and inexperienced ones. Newbies simply aren't yet experienced with the game, the etiquette and the community. After they develop themselves they become normal players, the ones that run the community.

Can't you see that it is a good thing? Our entire society is based on the fact that someone joins a community, and the older, more experienced people help him, and after that he becomes a vast person in the community. It's nonsense that clans for oldbies only are bad. It are simply clans for experienced players. Like newbies like to talk with newbies, so they can help eachother become better, and can tell eachother the things they have experienced so they can become a normal player, accepted into the community, sooner.

It's not wrong that oldbies would also like to for example, have a chat group only for more experienced people. It gives them a chance to exchange memories, talk about the future of the community, and so on.

Denying the fact that this all is a good thing, is denying the community you live in, denying your own family. When you was a baby, were you considered grownup immediatly? Did they let you decide along with them about the household insurances, for example? No. You need time to become experienced. On the internet you just get experiences sooner, and it won't take 18 years.

That's why a line between newbies and oldbies is good. The line helps all groups grow and prosper, when used in a good way.

So.. I think you go a little far in your conclusions, electropizza. You talk about the perfect community, where, if someone joins, he immediatly has all memories and experience of the older participants.

Do not get me wrongly. I like newbies. They make this community great. But the only way to grow is to seperate all the groups, so that the newer people can be helped and the older people can be kept happy.

This is how life is.

*end of rant*

-Fquist

Proudly 1st to register

Newspaz
May 17, 2001, 07:52 AM
From now on, bad behaving people will be called a Bacto* ! Who agrees ?

*Bacto= Bad Acting person

Fquist_old
May 17, 2001, 07:54 AM
Wow, this got a bit long, didn't it?

Treat good newbies with respect, so they can become the pillars of our community.

FreeLance57
May 17, 2001, 08:13 AM
I agree with FQuist. My point was that I want more oldies or middlies to come one where I don't have to wait for the immature newbies to grow.

(please note that immature was an adjective, not a generalisation. i was speaking of the immature ones, not newbies on a whole)

I want the old jazz world back. And it isn't that hard. Some of you gave up jazz. For what reasons? Age, perhaps. Or boredem. But still, something about jazz has caught you by the arm and won't let go. For some reason you all keep coming back to the forums and have sites. Most of you returned to play, even, for the Bash...

Fquist_old
May 17, 2001, 08:21 AM
You can see it as a ongoing process. The bash was popular because there were so many people. That's why so much people came back to play. But if I would start up jj2 now I'd have a lot of chance that I wouldn't be able to get a good game of jj2, so I leave again. And it's the same for other people.

And afcourse I am busy and lazy.

FreeLance57
May 17, 2001, 08:22 AM
well, fquist, i have a server up. ducky's coming. gb's coming...

Fquist_old
May 17, 2001, 08:59 AM
And I'm not. I am busy. :P

Tubbs
May 17, 2001, 09:37 AM
I am a newbie only because I can't get online, thanks to my good friend Tim. He is the only one who gets online regularly.

Freelance, has Timothy seen you online before? I have a feeling he might have.

FreeLance57
May 17, 2001, 11:34 AM
yes i think once.

who is he?

Bobby aka Dizzy
May 17, 2001, 12:00 PM
I agree totally with your long reply Fquist. You need to have newbies and oldies around and you can't expect a newbie to understand the community when they join. They need time to understand the rules that aren't written down but apply. Example, no shields, cussing, etc.

Someone has also been reading their new book, eh Fquist? http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Fquist_old
May 17, 2001, 12:47 PM
Yes. Communities on the web's awesome.(*hint* to all the people here)

MattW
May 17, 2001, 01:53 PM
And i think it's fun to play with newbies too.

(And Zieg, Just can't forget him. Looks like people are starting to like him.(It looks like i'm not recognized though. I've only been on for 6 months! Is that a newbie?))

FreeLance57
May 17, 2001, 03:43 PM
Well, I guess I can't get over that (censored) "ninja boy" and his "ninja boy clan" that he wanted everyone to join. Day after day he was around. day after day he would beg to be an admin or moderator at the JMMB...gah...

Wild Angel
May 17, 2001, 04:13 PM
On , GoldBones wrote:

I am a newbie so shaddup ^-^ Humph, ya all sit here and talk, I don't see more than half of you that really play jj2! *storms off*

You're not a newbie, sweetie...you're a...middlie (how ever you spell it)

Ax Man
May 17, 2001, 04:43 PM
If you people are so mad about being called newbies, perhaps you should stop trying to follow the sterotype. I just came back from counter-strike to give jazz another chance, and i must have gotto sworn at 20-30 times. Maybe (I'm not saying all of you Tim, and Freelance) if you stopped proving the sterotype that we adress as newbie we would drop the tern and embrace you as friend. Like the first day I met Dreama. She was new I was old. But still I embraced her as friend, for she did not prove the old sterotype of rudeness some of you have. I mean this in no paticular offense. It is my personal opinion.

SteelTalon
May 17, 2001, 06:38 PM
*yawns*

How ridiculous. Didn't we argue over this before?

A few rebuttals:

PiZZa: I addressed the "you were a newbie once TOO you know" issue. And about the "innocent until proven guilty" analogy (this is off topic, but just to disrupt your analogy...)... most countries use "guilty until proven innocent", which IMHO is a lot more effective (yet a bit more immoral) than "innocent until proven guilty". Think of it for a moment. What is worse, the people let loose for crimes they did or people locked up for crimes they didn't do? However unfair it may be, the latter is better for the general public.

Anyway, I don't judge people at all. I'm just saying the truth IS that most newbies are from "the dark side". I also have met many a nice newbie, but for every good newbie I've met I've seen at least two to three bad ones. A newbie isn't necessarily one who is new to the game you play, but is one who is new to the game of Manners. In that respect I hold my opinion on "newbies".

Fquist: These were givens. I thought most people knew this already. To clear it up, though (as we both use "newbie" differently), I don't use your "newbie" term in a bad way, but my "newbie" term means a bad person. It means a person who is new or equal to new at etiquette and manners of acting.

-SteelTalon

="Proudly" 103rd person to register

+"goqdi 29of3w q43 43574h8ht w99h"

<STRIKE>

PinkDaizy
May 17, 2001, 09:24 PM
*sniff* A-am I an annoying newbie? *sniff sniff*

Wild Angel
May 17, 2001, 09:26 PM
*hugs Daizy* You're not a newbie, you were around when I was around. Remember the colored name stuff?

FreeLance57
May 17, 2001, 09:33 PM
yah if you can cry you aren't a newbie. newbies would've said "IM A NEWBIE YA YA YA IM SO GOOD I CAN BEET YOUR (CENSORED) OLDIES SUX!!! JOIN MY CLANS!"

(note the plural on clans)

Wild Angel
May 17, 2001, 09:37 PM
lol

PinkDaizy
May 18, 2001, 08:16 AM
HAH HAH I AM A NEWBIE I ROX OLDIES SUX I CAN KICK THEIR *bleep*S HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. :P

Tanpopo Kiku
May 18, 2001, 09:34 AM
I used to play a lot, but ever since people started swearing like crazy on my servers, I simply stopped. I hate it when people put me down on my own servers. Therefore, I have decomposed somewhat but I am still not bad enough to be called a newbie.

$tilettø
May 18, 2001, 09:52 AM
Lets say i`m a average Player http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/angry/argue.gif

Red-Hot-Rabbit
May 20, 2001, 11:03 AM
He I'm a newbie! And you was a newbie too.

freelance you are so unfair to newbies! http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

FreeLance57
May 20, 2001, 12:43 PM
nah, just when they act like male donkeys.

PinkDaizy
May 20, 2001, 02:41 PM
lol

Wild Angel
May 20, 2001, 04:45 PM
lol

Red-Hot-Rabbit
May 21, 2001, 02:36 AM
Well, ...

lol http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

UrbanMenace
May 21, 2001, 10:39 AM
I don't think any new person should be classed "newbie". If (and I rarely do) I call someone a newbie, I mean that they are annoying, don't give a f... darn about the system... (really should stop quoting music http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif)

And "oldie" should just be someone that's done something, or is good.. or something...

Wild Angel
May 21, 2001, 12:33 PM
I'm an oldie http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Yoyo Turtle
May 22, 2001, 06:32 AM
I've been around close to the begging as well. I left for about 8 months and came back to find out everyone left and cam here. How many people are willing to reinsatall JJ2?

PinkDaizy
May 22, 2001, 08:31 AM
Er...I think most of us still have JJ2. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Wild Angel
May 22, 2001, 05:37 PM
I do!!!!

Derby
May 22, 2001, 07:23 PM
Actually, I don't have JJ2. Why am I here? I mistook this "Jazz" forum for a Jazz msic forum from the start.

"REALLY?!" ;-P <No.>

Monolith is 1! 1 is Monolith! Is 1 Monolith? 1 Monolith is!

~ Derby

Edit: Editing. ;-P

FreeLance57
May 22, 2001, 07:41 PM
I see you online a lot, Derby! well, sometimes.

eek yoyo turtle you evil vile thing!

Yoyo Turtle
May 22, 2001, 07:45 PM

Yoyo Turtle
May 22, 2001, 07:46 PM
huh. Yeah someone said somehting about a Yoyo Turtle online. It wasn't me, I was offline at the time. Well from JJ2 that is. That is if you are talking me *slap*

Coppertop
May 22, 2001, 09:19 PM
When I was on JMMB I didn't post for like, a year. I took my time to learn how things were done http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif and guess what? I don't think anybody but Ducky noticed I was a "newbie."

And at least here they don't have that annoying "Junior Member thingy

Wild Angel
May 22, 2001, 10:52 PM
Weeheee

FreeLance57
May 23, 2001, 09:29 AM
you are the evile Yoyo Turtle who got my ip and threatened me, who called me a hillbilly because i was born in alabama (though hillbillies are actually from kuntucky, tennesee, and verginia area), and was an all around male donkey! WAAAARGH!

Tanpopo Kiku
May 23, 2001, 09:36 AM
Ahem, ahem. What IS a newbie, anyway?!

(I'm not a newbie, that is why I do not know what the heck you are talking about)

Fquist_old
May 23, 2001, 10:46 AM
Although, because of some bad examples, the the term newbie has been used for bad people in general, a newbie means a player that is new to the game and hasn't socialized with the community yet.

Fear
May 23, 2001, 10:48 AM
I think we (more experienced players) have every right to call new players newbies, it happend to us, and now we are being called 'oldies!'

So its an eye to eye tooth to tooth situation...

Ducky
May 23, 2001, 10:50 AM
Did I call you a newbie CT?

Eh..

mmf, well, those were the good ol' days, yeah, when EVERYone was a newbie http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

`Ducky

Yoyo Turtle
May 23, 2001, 11:35 AM
Hehe, I didn't think you would actually believe me. You were being a weiner and seserved it anyways.

FreeLance57
May 23, 2001, 04:19 PM
i merely commented that your level got the Butt Ugly Level of the Month Award from J2C harharharharharharharhaharhraharhaharhraharharhar!

Yoyo Turtle
May 23, 2001, 04:37 PM
No, it was something else, but I forgot. I didn't much care for my level ither.

FreeLance57
May 23, 2001, 09:35 PM
well, still, the fact remains you insulted ME and threatened ME and that makes ME angry at YOU. because I hold GRUDGES.

Yoyo Turtle
May 23, 2001, 09:56 PM
well I didn't come here to apologize

Wild Angel
May 23, 2001, 10:05 PM
I missed something.

SteelTalon
May 23, 2001, 10:20 PM
"<STRIKE>Mark</STRIKE> ElectroPiZZa wears (polka dotted?!?) briefs (with mangos!). Hoo hah!"

Wild Angel
May 23, 2001, 11:05 PM
Ack!!

Fear
May 24, 2001, 02:53 AM
Now this is really not about the subject anymore heh.

FreeLance57
May 24, 2001, 09:25 AM
I don't care if you didn't or did, I was just stating. I don't expect an apology, why would I?

Fear
May 24, 2001, 03:23 PM
I can safely say that this (quote from jazz2stuff) conversation is going nowhere.

Wild Angel
May 24, 2001, 03:58 PM
*Blinks*

Tanpopo Kiku
May 25, 2001, 09:36 AM
Lancie, Lancie, it is really not that good to hold grudges. Let us forget the whole crazy thing and simply go on with life.

As far as "newbies," I do not happen to be one. And, I do not really suggest that we pick on people by calling them "newbie."

FreeLance57
May 25, 2001, 10:31 AM
i was being humourous about grudges. gah everyone takes me seriously these days... (sad/angry face)

as far as forgetting it, nevar! HE WILL DIE BY MY BLADE OR I BY HIS!

Wild Angel
May 25, 2001, 02:16 PM
http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Fquist_old
May 25, 2001, 02:27 PM
On , Tanpopo Kiku wrote:

Lancie, Lancie, it is really not that good to hold grudges. Let us forget the whole crazy thing and simply go on with life.

As far as "newbies," I do not happen to be one. And, I do not really suggest that we pick on people by calling them "newbie."

Newbie is just a term for a new person.. what's so bad about it? It isn't a degrading term.. although it is often used like it.

Fear
May 25, 2001, 02:50 PM
Well this topic is about the degrading part isnt it fquist?

Lamer
May 27, 2001, 10:31 PM
I agree with Newspaz, let's just call people with bad attitudes *Bactos.

Fear
May 29, 2001, 01:39 PM
Lets call everyone by their nickname, okay?