PDA

View Full Version : Any specifics on the new music engine?

4I Falcon
Sep 12, 2002, 12:19 PM
If there is a new music engine in 1.25, of course. Could it be a widely-used one, like Winamp? (w00t!) That way, it would be able to play both .mods and mp3s.

Oh wait, ya say, what about .j2b, that was the authentic JJ2 music file! Well, that's what the backup Galaxy Sound System is for. Or does JJ2 have a built-in .j2b compatibility?

Trafton AT
Sep 12, 2002, 02:25 PM
Hmm...

Sorry, Falcon, but 1.25 is pretty much 100% not going to be released. We can only dream of detailed specifications such as music engine. Sorry.

ElectroPiZZa
Sep 12, 2002, 02:27 PM
Winamp would be very bad for the MODs.

Trafton AT
Sep 12, 2002, 02:28 PM
Pizzie is correct, also. Winamp also wouldn't really like the legal issues, either.

Haze
Sep 12, 2002, 11:15 PM
And Winamp is too heavy on system resources for any game engine. If (and I stress 'IF') there EVER (and I yet again stress 'EVER') where to be a 1.25 release, we'd probably go for a more versatile engine, such as FMOD or Bass. Or try to get an updated version of the Galaxy sound-engine. According to Alexander (Brandon, duh) the version used in Unreal was capable of using modules, mp3 and directsound music. However, the memory usage would be to great for a game like Jazz.

Engine wise, having a <i>backup</i> music-engine is the worst possible idea! Besides, I'm almost sure that the decoding of a J2B file isn't internally handled by the Galaxy engine. Merely the replaying.

But that's my theory. :)

4I Falcon
Sep 13, 2002, 05:54 PM
It's funny how little i know about these things.