PDA

View Full Version : Ok,

BlazinDragon
Sep 28, 2002, 08:32 AM
Lets face it even if we did get the source code, how we gonna build it? it costs big bucks to just get an engine. And then we (illigally) have to remake all the charachters (not as good as epids probably) then we need to find a publisher and many more things which will be about

$500,000 (engine)
$4,000+ (publisher)
------------
$504,000 at least. I can do math ;P

so, where are we gonna get 504,000 buckaroo's?
In thin air?

I don't think so...

Haze
Sep 28, 2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by KILLERRABBIT(ICEDKILLER)
Lets face it even if we did get the source code, how we gonna build it? it costs big bucks to just get an engine. And then we (illigally) have to remake all the charachters (not as good as epids probably) then we need to find a publisher and many more things which will be about

Cough,
source-code.equals(engine) == true;
source-code.equals(characters) != true; // false

So basically, the source code we'd get would BE the game engine. We don't need to tinker with the actual content of the game (e.g. sprites, levels etc.) so we won't distribute ANY copyrighted material.
See it as us making a patch for the game, rather than a game itself. This eliminates the need to find any publisher, a patch would be released through the web.

The only thing we WILL need to look at is the music engine, since the current one IS copyrighted. The Galaxy Sound System isn't free for use in (non-)commercial applications, so we'd have to swap it for one that is, such as Bass or FMOD. This will be, imho, the biggest pain in the rear to actually do... -_-'

Iam Canadian
Sep 28, 2002, 10:07 AM
If you do change the music engine, make it support MP3's. :p

BlazinDragon
Sep 28, 2002, 11:12 AM
2 important things,

1)BIG BUCKS
2)Is all dat source code possible? (if we get it ;P)

FQuist
Sep 28, 2002, 11:20 AM
We don't need money for the source code.

Yes, it's possible.

MP3 support is stupid, you'd need to download 5 MB just for one freaking level. :P

Violet CLM
Sep 28, 2002, 11:51 AM
We don't want the source code for Another Game. Just to make a patch. (Though admittedly I had a dream last night about a new game using the JJ2 engine)

BlazinDragon
Sep 28, 2002, 12:29 PM
But that new game would have lots of lag because the JJ2 engine has lotza lag. So therefore the new game would have lots of lag too. so who wants a crappy game made by a few ppl with a laggy engine with no profit?

Thought so.

Haze
Sep 28, 2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Unknown Rabbit
We don't want the source code for Another Game. Just to make a patch. (Though admittedly I had a dream last night about a new game using the JJ2 engine)

...a NEW game with the JJ2 engine? :D HA, in your dreams! (quite literary) ;)

And no... no MP3, OGG, WMA or whatever support. Because that would quickly fill up the available memory for JJ2, remember that Jazz2 has a hardcoded memory limit.
"But with the source-code you could remove that limit!" Yeah, and after that we could say "goodbye" to 33% of the community, because they can't run v1.25. :)

FQuist
Sep 28, 2002, 02:03 PM
But that new game would have lots of lag because the JJ2 engine has lotza lag. So therefore the new game would have lots of lag too. so who wants a crappy game made by a few ppl with a laggy engine with no profit?

Thought so.

No profit? You don't sell patches. It's not a game we'd make, just a file like the 1.23 patch.

Link
Sep 28, 2002, 02:26 PM
And who says we can't modify the engine to reduce lag? The point of a patch is to improve on things, so if lag is a big problem it will probably be improved on.

MaGoo
Sep 28, 2002, 02:42 PM
I wish people would stop posting threads about the same thing over and over again.

Violet CLM
Sep 28, 2002, 04:04 PM

You're not paying attention. I said, we don't want it for a new game, just a patch to fix some things in JJ2. Like 1.23 did.

BlazinDragon
Sep 29, 2002, 08:16 AM
But how do we get the source code? and its still illigal ;P

U think epic will liken us if we do it for them?

They might take all the credit -_-

BUT WE STILL (DID) IT!!!

FQuist
Sep 29, 2002, 09:07 AM
Just read the 1.25 thread in this same forum..

Super Saiyan
Sep 29, 2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by MR MAGOO
I wish people would stop posting threads about the same thing over and over again.

Right. :)

Radium
Sep 29, 2002, 01:10 PM
Lets just buy the rights to JJ2 from epic and make JJ3. Maybe we could make a deal, like they get 50% of profits from the game. Honestly, a JJ2-like engine isn't that hard to make from scratch. I'm just the only person that's tried:p .

BlazinDragon
Sep 29, 2002, 05:14 PM
u know what? i actually think that is a good idea Radium

U think they'd go for it?

Tik
Sep 30, 2002, 06:01 AM
...No.

Radium
Sep 30, 2002, 11:48 AM
...No.

BlazinDragon
Sep 30, 2002, 12:30 PM
Oh well, *shrugs* :rolleyes:

Txl Kill
Oct 1, 2002, 02:26 PM
If we ever did create a game we wouldnt need a freaking publisher or a game engine rights.. You can make a mod of Unreal and it is leagal because Unreal lets people do that they gave out the source to the engine. it was cost no money at all just alot of work time. think before u post and stop posting stupid things its getting freaking annoying to read the same exact Crap in diffrent words every day on this fourm if u have a original idea or A WAY TO HELP THE PROJECT then post it!!! but dont freakign complain about how u cant do it.. it doesnt get anyone anything!

Derby: Personal attack removal. The most interesting case of this is when the poster already realizes that it is and even mentions it.

BlazinDragon
Oct 2, 2002, 02:19 AM
Good edit Derby :D :lol: