PDA

View Full Version : Giving Up Hope...BleH.

Trafton AT
Sep 28, 2002, 10:41 AM
I am posting this because I am really and truly tired of hearing people who post topics saying that Jazz is dead and has no future. While it may be true that Jazz Jackrabbit 3 isn't coming out, Jazz is far from dead.

First of all, we have an active and dedicated community that has survived several years, which is pretty good for a game that didn't even breakeven on sale income. While we may not have two pages of list servers as the norm any longer, I am one of many people who think that Jazz 2 is at it's zenith right now. Those who are left in the community are extremely dedicated and willing to stay on Jazz for years. I have also seen more new players playing lately and many older players returning to Jazz. But it seems that many people have already decided that Jazz is dead and refuse to change their views. Recent news that the rebel clans (DDL, RK, etc.) were no longer going to be violent got almost no attention while smaller, more negative news got plenty of attention.

It seems many people are hearing that Jazz is dead and then telling themselves that enough times until they think it is true. Take a look at some things that will eventually happen: the source code will be released, Overlord's underplayed Jazz 2 Mutation will be released, and 1.25 will be worked on if we can get the source code. That's not a very grim outlook.

The JCF recently hit post 100,000 and has had 30 or more people active at once, breaking old records. #jj2 has thousands of lines of text a day. New levels and tilesets are created every day. How can this be a dead community?

We should stop dwelling on the fact JJ2 won't be around forever and should start PLAYING. I'm sure JJ2 will survive longer if people start PLAYING instead of walking around shouting "The end is near, give up all hope!"

Jazz isn't dead. That's just my opinion. It's disturbing to see people giving up hope. Put more faith in the community and I'm sure we'll pull through. Haven't we always?

Fawriel
Sep 28, 2002, 10:46 AM
I think most people here dun care about the game,just about the community!:D
WE RU><0R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Blackraptor
Sep 28, 2002, 10:56 AM
I still like Jazz2, and the coMUTINY:D

MaGoo
Sep 28, 2002, 11:40 AM
Recent news that the rebel clans (DDL, RK, etc.) were no longer going to be violent got almost no attention while smaller, more negative news got plenty of attention.

That's too bad, they were funny. ;P

Tubz
Sep 28, 2002, 11:41 AM
I suppose I cae about the game and the community. But all this spam is well, bleh! And the same old levels are being used in JJ2.

And everyone wants to host a crappy CTF server. CTF seems like it's becoming more popular than battle :(.

JJ BBoy KS
Sep 28, 2002, 12:09 PM
I don't know why people keep saying it's dead. We've already heard that a thousand times. :rolleyes:

DarkShadow
Sep 28, 2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by JJ Tublear
....And everyone wants to host a crappy CTF server. CTF seems like it's becoming more popular than battle :(.
Battle is still the number one hosted game type.

But hopefully ctf will become a lot more popular =)

Chiyu
Sep 28, 2002, 12:40 PM
Just wanted to say that after I had a long conversation with Bolt, I got him as far to stop RK. My arguments where that it could give CC a bad reputation, since Bolt is a CC member after all, and that if he didn't want to stop RK, he couldn't stay in CC anymore. Luckily, Bolt understood the situation and retired from his position as rebel leader.
RK is no more, only DDL still exists, which is just half of the revolution.

However, take note that this doesn't mean that their ideas are gone.

Though Bolt told me that he wanted to have a conversation with the people like Dizzy and Evilmike and then come to a agreement and make peace. Good news for the Jj2 community!

And, I talked with Crono from DDL and he agrees with me and will have a word with his fellow DDL leaders.
It's true...... DDL is most likely going to go on like a normal clan, and RK disbanded. No more groups of people making evil tilesets, cloning or crashing servers (just some inviduals who're being evil, but it has always been like that).

Trafton is right, we should play more. I'm always disappointed when I start XJJ2 and see that there are no servers on 1.23, I often have to host a server myself or there'd be no games for me to play online. And the Jj2 community is more like it used to be a long time ago.. GpW back, TEC active again, no revolutions or wars between clans/groups, lots of people back. But only better, since a lot of new tilesets and levels have been made and concepts have been invented, to make JJ2 even more interesting.

Conclusion: Go play JJ2 and stop whining about how nearly dead it is.

sproedel
Sep 28, 2002, 02:52 PM
Hm...actually I´m here cos of the community!:D

The people here are soooo cool!!! Well, I´d love to play Jazz online, but I still don´t know how to play it online. I think, I have to download a patch...but I don´t know which...:rolleyes::D

So, I hope this board will keep going on for a very long time!!!

Another Jazz 2 fan
Sep 28, 2002, 08:15 PM
Heh... people have been saying it is dead for years. You get used to it after awhile ;) And, with the news that the JCF has been payed off, you know it has the potential now to last for a very long time. Let's hope the listservers stay up for a long time too. IMO, Jazz 2 is the last great 2D platformers, and one of the best (because of JCS, not the official levels.) If Epic had actually supported it for longer, made a few more patches for some major problems, it would be close to the perfect 2D game.

Anyway, well said. Jazz 2 LIVES!!

Super Saiyan
Sep 29, 2002, 12:04 AM
JJ2 still has a long future, and we all can play it in harmony. Ow Boy :D

Newspaz
Sep 29, 2002, 01:46 AM
First of all, we have an active and dedicated community that has survived several years, which is pretty good for a game that didn't even breakeven on sale income.

Can I just add that this only happened in the US? In Europe it was basicly the only game Project2 knew to get a profit on ;)

Oh yes, the topic. Well, if you compare us to the Commander Keen community, which already is over 10 years old. I think we will start to create more and more fangames for JJ2, like ET's.
But of course if that community is able to survive over 10 years, I don't see why this one won't..?

Fawriel
Sep 29, 2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Newspaz
Can I just add that this only happened in the US? In Europe it was basicly the only game Project2 knew to get a profit on ;)

Oh yes, the topic. Well, if you compare us to the Commander Keen community, which already is over 10 years old. I think we will start to create more and more fangames for JJ2, like ET's.
But of course if that community is able to survive over 10 years, I don't see why this one won't..?
What the heck is it with Commander Keen?
I only remember having played two games of his,and they both pretty much sucked,IMO.:p
If THAT game has lasted for 10 years,we will survive till 2120 or so!;)
(Btw,don't flame me for not liking Commander Keen!:p )

FQuist
Sep 30, 2002, 09:31 AM
It perhaps is easy for you Trafton, but I for one am never able to find any (good) server at daytime, living in the Netherlands. JJ2 stops being fun quickly that way.

While I don't go around shouting that JJ2 is dead, it isn't, I am less cheerful about the community then I used to be.

RazzOnline
Sep 30, 2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Trafton AT
The JCF recently hit post 100,000 and has had 30 or more people active at once, breaking old records. #jj2 has thousands of lines of text a day. New levels and tilesets are created every day. How can this be a dead community?

Found at the bottom of the MB
Most users ever online was 33 on September 8th, 2002 at 08:36 PM.

33 to be precisely ;)

Chiyu
Sep 30, 2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Fquist
It perhaps is easy for you Trafton, but I for one am never able to find any (good) server at daytime, living in the Netherlands. JJ2 stops being fun quickly that way.

While I don't go around shouting that JJ2 is dead, it isn't, I am less cheerful about the community then I used to be.

Well it is true that during daytime for us dutchies, JJ2 is kinda empty. ZzZ

MoonBlazE
Sep 30, 2002, 12:11 PM
The thing that does jj2 boring is maybe that evryone hostes battle1, battle2, and battle3. They aren't that fun.
Host more custom levels featuring on better tilesets would make it more fun playing in a server, host different gamemodes than battle and CTF all the time.
Be more active, use jazztool to check if there's something wroth up on the server list.

The game isen't that alive, like in school time, there's no servers becuse the game is mostly spread in Netherlands.
Host on TSF. Most people has TSF.
There's more servers on TSF than 1.23, so why keep hosting there?
Also, evryone is making levels and tilesets, for get high rating on jazz2online.
Why don't you just download some other stuff and host that?
We have enoph levels on jazz2online for 30 years again before they get boring.
It's waster of time making more multiplayer levels in JCS.

Newspaz
Sep 30, 2002, 12:30 PM
I host quite often on Dutch times. Like one or two times a day. However, I always host the same level ;).. kings crown.

Violet CLM
Sep 30, 2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Moonblaze
The thing that does jj2 boring is maybe that evryone hostes battle1, battle2, and battle3. They aren't that fun.

I got the impression they were only hosted for duels these days, but I could be wrong.

Host more custom levels featuring on better tilesets would make it more fun playing in a server, host different gamemodes than battle and CTF all the time.

Most people host custom levels, and often custom tilesets (though I don't know if custom is what you mean by better). And I'm pretty sure non Battle/CTF gamemodes are hosted frequently.

Be more active, use jazztool to check if there's something wroth up on the server list.

Jazztool annoys people. Just use http://www.jazz2online.com/gip.php

The game isen't that alive, like in school time, there's no servers becuse the game is mostly spread in Netherlands.

And yet the Netherlands people, as CB and Fquist said, can't find any servers.

Host on TSF. Most people has TSF.

And yet many people play 1.23.

There's more servers on TSF than 1.23, so why keep hosting there?

So we don't have to deal with those dutch people who have never heard of some of the simpler elements of 1.23 play?

Also, evryone is making levels and tilesets, for get high rating on jazz2online.

Don't disregard fun. A high portion of the levels I make never get put on J2O.

Why don't you just download some other stuff and host that?
We have enoph levels on jazz2online for 30 years again before they get boring.

People do. But not 30 years, no.

It's waster of time making more multiplayer levels in JCS.

Heh. If that was true, I'd leave like a shot, and I think that probably applies to a lot of people.

FQuist
Sep 30, 2002, 02:17 PM
I find it stupid that people play TSF, as everyone has 1.23, yet a lot of people don't have TSF.

KJAZZ
Sep 30, 2002, 04:01 PM
Exactly my point Fquist.

MoonBlazE
Sep 30, 2002, 09:46 PM
There's recently always a TSF server, than there's an 1.23 server.
There is also choose people who only has TSF, and they are a lot active on jazz, more than us.
I'm talking about people like NickMaster, people we see as noobs.
Maybe you'r right about that with JCS, but why aren't it hosted more often then?
''My'' netherlands is difinated Germany.
Entering a site each time is not such easy as jazztool, and you don't HAVE to view the server list, which annoys people.
You can see the number of players with jazztool.

Newspaz
Sep 30, 2002, 10:04 PM
I do not think that you can blame the people on TSF for playing a better game. I think we should blame the persons who were to lazy to make a 1.24 patch for 1.23.

Violet CLM
Sep 30, 2002, 11:52 PM
I find it stupid that people play TSF, as everyone has 1.23, yet a lot of people don't have TSF.

Not everyone has 1.23.

(MoonBlaze): Entering a site each time is not such easy as jazztool, and you don't HAVE to view the server list, which annoys people.

Does Jazztool do anything other then join servers and set things? You know, EXACTLY WHAT JJ2 DOES? (well, it can see who's in the server, but that's what you're saying annoys people, I think)

You can see the number of players with jazztool.

http://www.jazz2online.com/gip.php If you look at it, you'll notice the number of players is shown there.

$tilettø
Oct 1, 2002, 12:06 AM
Alot on TSF Have's 1.23 But they Dont know how to upgrade it and get the listserverpatch Because They Dont speak English Very Well And JJ2 Gets Boring i only duel FoR JDC nothing more

Its kind of Dead This Messagebord isnt but ON the game it is

MoonBlazE
Oct 1, 2002, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Unknown Rabbit
http://www.jazz2online.com/gip.php If you look at it, you'll notice the number of players is shown there. Jazztool is still not wrong to use. The ''Jazztool 1.3'' enters only the game if you ask for the server list, it shouldn't be annoying.
You could use both things, there's still nothing wrong with use jazztool to get server list.
You could use jazzcommander aswell.

Violet CLM
Oct 1, 2002, 11:27 AM
I never said Jazztool was wrong to use, just that you are underestimating gip and JJ2.