PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Signup Ban?

~SPLASH~
Oct 29, 2002, 06:11 AM
The main forum title says there is a "Temporary Signup Ban". Is this because of a certain person who keeps trying to get back even though he was banned, was it done because of space getting full, or was it done by the company who created the boards itself? I am not trying to register or anything, but I would like to know more about it.

$tilettø
Oct 29, 2002, 06:39 AM
The Company cant prevent people from registering when you got a board

Maybe Because DataTransfor is getting over the limit?

FQuist
Oct 29, 2002, 06:57 AM
Space really isn't full yet.

We had trouble with an attack by certain idiots.

Super Saiyan
Oct 29, 2002, 07:29 AM
I just was wondering that...

Fawriel
Oct 29, 2002, 07:59 AM
Wow,now that was strange!^.^;;

Anyways,hope this is gonna end soon,it looks a little uncomfy to me always reading"Jazz Jackrabbit Community Forums - Temporary Singup Ban"!:p

MoonBlazE
Oct 29, 2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Fquist
Space really isn't full yet.What will you do when space is full?
Restart JCF?

FQuist
Oct 29, 2002, 09:59 AM
No idea. I guess we will have to buy more space.

Trafton
Oct 29, 2002, 11:56 AM
The temporary signup ban is due to certain people with nothing better to do spamming the boards. They were creating many accounts to use for spamming, so Bobby stopped signups so they were unable to make more accounts for spamming.

||Slim
Oct 29, 2002, 12:03 PM
SUPERMOD!

Newspaz
Oct 29, 2002, 12:11 PM
I thought there was an option in vB, so the admins have to confirm registration requests? Maybe that's an idea..

~SPLASH~
Oct 29, 2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Newspaz
I thought there was an option in vB, so the admins have to confirm registration requests? Maybe that's an idea..
There is such an option yes. I happen to visit some boards that have this function enabled.

Trafton
Oct 29, 2002, 12:36 PM
That would be a good idea, but it's likely that the spammer would just start using more real account names and some of the IPs really look real (others are obviously false.)

$tilettø
Oct 29, 2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Moonblaze
What will you do when space is full?
Restart JCF?
lol if you restart it you will stil keep the Datatransfer

i wonder how many DataTransfer do you get in one month?

FQuist
Oct 30, 2002, 04:21 AM
Space is something else than Data Transfer, Stiletto.

We have 20 Gigabyte/month.

Bobby aka Dizzy
Oct 30, 2002, 10:56 AM
And we have used about 12,637 mega bytes transfer this month so far.

Trafton
Oct 30, 2002, 01:52 PM
Moonblaze meant space as in storage space, I believe. Space isn't very close to being full from what I've heard. Data transfer is something else. Data transfer is how much of that data is moving. Every time you load a page or download a file, it takes up some of the monthly data transfer. This temporary signup has nothing to do with space concerns. It was implimented because there was spamming, and the spammer kept making new accounts. The temporary signup ban denies the spammer of the ability to create any new accounts, and thus stops him from posting. Space has nothing to do with it.

Trafton
Nov 3, 2002, 10:57 AM
Just wanted to tell you all that the signup ban has apparently been lifted. Let's hope we don't hear from the spammer again. :)