PDA

View Full Version : How About Avatars?

Nadine
Dec 5, 2002, 04:38 PM
I would really like it if this site had avatars. Usually my posts are long enough that it's not like the avatar would take up alot of room or anything.

Don't you want to see this beside each of my posts (at least this month)?:

http://members.shaw.ca/rkpellagirl/pictures/spazxmasavatar.jpg

If they could be twice this size too it would be great. Actually, this is a temporary avatar I use on another board. I wanted to make a better one.

Just a suggestion. Anyone agree?

-Nadine

Trafton
Dec 5, 2002, 04:39 PM
This has been brought up countless times before, and the admins have said no. It makes the board look ugly and has some coding issues. Research past topics like this one for more information on why the requests have been denied.

Violet CLM
Dec 5, 2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Nadine
Don't you want to see this beside each of my posts (at least this month)?:

http://members.shaw.ca/rkpellagirl/pictures/spazxmasavatar.jpg

Why not at all!

Trafton
Dec 5, 2002, 06:16 PM
Actually, I've always thought having JJ2-themed avatars that you could choose from would be cool. However, just enabling avatars in general would make the board messy.

Tubz
Dec 7, 2002, 09:51 PM
Trafton I wouldn't be surprised if the Admins mad you a Moderator. Haha, you're scaring me, you talk just like an Admin.

Avator would ruxor, tests have not been run on Avatarsm have they?

If no tests have been run to see why they are sooo bad, then run some. Why are you guys dissing the avatars without even trying them. It's like judging a book by its cover.

If you did run tests, then my bad.

Violet CLM
Dec 7, 2002, 10:05 PM
FYI, Trafton used to be a Super Moderator, but he isn't anymore.

Trafton
Dec 8, 2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Unknown Rabbit
FYI, Trafton used to be a Super Moderator, but he isn't anymore.
That was only because I was on constantly during the spam attacks so I could delete the topics, not because I was an actual moderator.

If no tests have been run to see why they are sooo bad, then run some. Why are you guys dissing the avatars without even trying them. It's like judging a book by its cover.
The effect of avatars on the organization of the board is fairly predictable, actually. It makes it look more messy and disorganized. There have been ideas like only giving avatars to "good users", but of course that presents a moral problem in deciding who gets it and who doesn't. It's really up to the admins, but coding problems could hamper it. But judging by past, very pro-avatar (pardon my strange wording) topics, the answer will probably be no.

Xion
Jan 1, 2003, 12:04 PM
Trafton, the Winamp boards have it and it does not bog down load times at all.

The only problem is that if you have 2000+ members with avatars, that creates a space problem, one of the best reasons why Avatars and Attachments have been disabled on this board.

It doesn't make it look bad, if it's just a 50x50 image underneath the name with a limit...

"Use custom avatar
Note: the maximum size of your custom image is 50 by 50 pixels or 20000 bytes (whichever is smaller)."

This is perfect for avatars.

Do whatever you like.

Trafton
Jan 1, 2003, 01:25 PM
The Winamp boards have a faster server than the JCF. Still, it would probably just make the board look ugly.

Tubz
Jan 1, 2003, 02:45 PM
Trafton stop being so negative, it's annoying!

And if you go see this site: http://www.armageddongames.com
It is a MB that has a arcade! Also it has it's own avatars, not to mention animated avatars.

The lowdown is that not allowing avatars is rediculous. And we should be allowed avatars. EVEN ANIMATED AVATARS.

I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE Trafton the ADMIN and all the other admins, including Nebula to go to that forum I listed above, and see how avatars have changed the site.

And don't give me the fast server crap Trafton. We haven't even experimented with the Avatars before even judging them.

My, my. You people are so quick to judge things. Go around the web and explore all the boards with Avatars, doesn't slow down at all.

Trafton
Jan 1, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by JJ Tublear
I'm not being negative. It's just my opinion that it makes the board look crowded. Stop being so positive. ;-P

It is a MB that has a arcade! Also it has it's own avatars, not to mention animated avatars.
The board is a VBBoard. It looks pretty bad to me, since the avatars are of varying sizes and everything. Some may like how it looks, but I do not.

The lowdown is that not allowing avatars is rediculous. And we should be allowed avatars. EVEN ANIMATED AVATARS.
I would really object to animated avatars. They really make everything look bad.

I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE Trafton the ADMIN and all the other admins, including Nebula to go to that forum I listed above, and see how avatars have changed the site.
Please stop calling me Trafton the ADMIN. I'm not an ADMIN. I do not think that avatars made the site better at all. They are of varying sizes and most of them are just abstract things found off the Internet.

And don't give me the fast server crap Trafton. We haven't even experimented with the Avatars before even judging them.
Server speed is not my major problem. It's that the board looks bad with them, especially when they are animated.

My, my. You people are so quick to judge things. Go around the web and explore all the boards with Avatars, doesn't slow down at all.
And there are also plenty of good boards without avatars. Especially animated ones.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't like the idea.

Another Jazz 2 fan
Jan 2, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by JJ Tublear

How long have you been in the community? And you still sound very much like a noob! Some people never grow up. :rolleyes:

Tubz
Jan 2, 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Another Jazz 2 fan
How long have you been in the community? And you still sound very much like a noob! Some people never grow up. :rolleyes:

Boo, so I act childish sometimes. Don't we all act chilidsh, you can't expect every idea I make up to be perfect, because this turned out not to be perfect.

And don't call me a noob, because i've been here longer than you, so just don't. :confused:

Cobra
Jan 2, 2003, 04:32 PM
The answer is the same it has always been.

No! :D

Blackraptor
Jan 2, 2003, 04:35 PM
Ive been on boards with avatars, and they were ok, but i dont think they will look good on neither j20 or jcf.

Trafton
Jan 2, 2003, 04:37 PM
It just would not look good with the JCF. Besides, this is around the eighteenth time the administrators have said No, and I doubt the nineteenth time will be a charm. ;P

Another Jazz 2 fan
Jan 2, 2003, 05:00 PM
Tublear - I am not calling you a noob. I am stating that you act like one. And I doubt you have been around for longer than I have, but I know you have been here for a good long time. Try to act more mature.