PDA

View Full Version : Post Counts

Trafton
Dec 10, 2002, 11:52 AM
I've noticed that post counts are visible in private messages. For a while, they were randomized (with some very entertaining results) but it seems that they are now back to normal. Also, yet again the top ten is visable (using the fairly easy to figure out URL.) Couldn't it be randomized again? It was sort of nice not having (as much of) the post count spam.

KRSplat
Dec 10, 2002, 12:08 PM
I don't think the post counts make very much of a difference in spam level right now.

FQuist
Dec 10, 2002, 12:14 PM
Funny, I explicitly turned those things off.. maybe Nebula reset some things.

Fawriel
Dec 10, 2002, 12:24 PM
What's the use of randomizing post counts?

Heh,I can view a perfectly ordered list of members sorted by post-counts myself!;)

jk!^_~

I stopped spamming moths ago.
Whoever still calls me spammer is a dope plz thx!!!!11 =))))

And who else is or was after post counts?
NOBODY!!!
(behold I did NOT use 0s!)

So leave it the way it is and keep your precious time for something sensible! :rolleyes:

Trafton
Dec 10, 2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Piccolo

Heh,I can view a perfectly ordered list of members sorted by post-counts myself!;)

jk!^_~

NOBODY!!!

So leave it the way it is and keep your precious time for something sensible! :rolleyes:
What's the use of not randomizing it? Until I see all of the Post About the Poster Above you - ish topics a few pages down, I will still think that a few people are going for high post counts. I never said there was currently spamming, but post counts being available again aren't of much use. (Note these aren't post counts in message, these are post counts in PMs and the top 10 list, which can be viewed, but not without knowing the URL, though it isn't hard to figure out.)

MoonBlazE
Dec 10, 2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Piccolo

jk!^_~

NOBODY!!!

So leave it the way it is and keep your precious time for something sensible! :rolleyes: You know over 50% of that post is spam? ;-P

Tik
Dec 11, 2002, 06:30 AM
Wow....I am in the Top 10.

I also don't think spamming is that much of a problem anymore. Most people just don't care about the post count, or realize it'd be very difficult to become "Top Poster" or whatever. However I agree that the top whatever posters shouldn't be easily viewable. Getting the URL isn't that hard..

Trafton
Dec 11, 2002, 11:25 AM
I still think they should be disabled. All they do is promote spam, and disabling (or, even better, randomizing) them couldn't hurt.

dopeh
Dec 11, 2002, 11:51 AM
It would be impossible to 'disable' the postcounts unless you gonna disable the whole search function as well, which would be good for spacing db space ofcourse but horrible for people with questions. So I dun think it really matters whether it's still displayed on private messages or not. A simple user search and you know how many posts the person has.

Trafton
Dec 11, 2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JoJo
It would be impossible to 'disable' the postcounts unless you gonna disable the whole search function as well, which would be good for spacing db space ofcourse but horrible for people with questions. So I dun think it really matters whether it's still displayed on private messages or not. A simple user search and you know how many posts the person has.
That's not entirely true. From my experience, the search is often inaccurate and does not include posts in forums that are hidden. Randomizing would be more effective than the current situation, but yes, it is still possible to get a rough idea of post count via the "Find all posts by this user" function.

dopeh
Dec 11, 2002, 12:01 PM
Though I've no idea why anyone would do all this only to get the post count know..These forums are (almost) one bump of spam anyway, so why bothering? P)

Trafton
Dec 12, 2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JoJo
Though I've no idea why anyone would do all this only to get the post count know..These forums are (almost) one bump of spam anyway, so why bothering? P)
There are actually some interesting discussions. Some forums may have a lot of spam, but it still has less spam than many other message boards.