PDA

View Full Version : CMOS, eaten memory, bad programs, or just internal temporal anomalies (oh my!)

Kaz
May 27, 2001, 07:46 PM
Okay, this is about the 5th time it's happened! My computer's clock has been slowing down tremendously, I'm not quite sure by how much but it has been slown down!

EX: Internet clocks will say 10:36 while mine will say 10:29

MIDI player goes slower! (It's true! I recorded it and it actualy does go slower (the tempo)).

Internet timings are off! Whenever this happens, my games get screwed up (games that require timing). I'll get timed out, glitched, or just disconnected.

It'll go away though once I restart, but this is the 5th time it's happened (once my clock was off by several hours)

Now then, which one is it?

A) The CMOS battery is failing.

B) It's just eaten memory of some sort.

C) A bad program is messing up the clock.

D) There's a temporal anomalie living in your ram.

Now then... Is that your final answer?

Newspaz
May 27, 2001, 10:46 PM
It's probably Monolith. I told you not to go in the battle server to often. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

~SPLASH~
May 28, 2001, 05:28 AM
On , Newspaz wrote:

It's probably Monolith. I told you not to go in the battle server to often. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

agrees.

now u are his target, aliens are probly heading your way in their little spaceships

edit: or they have used the evil "abort of time and space"-trick (well, u know.. the thing that traps u in notime and from which u cannot escape)

SPLASH, Oi, Hero 4 Hire and Byea are registered trademarks of SPLASH©

www.geocities.com/splashfella (http://www.geocities.com/splashfella)

Kaz
May 28, 2001, 04:31 PM
Who said anything about Monolith?

Monolith
May 28, 2001, 07:05 PM
They did.

I suppose you could try relpacing the CMOS battery... but that doesn't quite seem like what would be causing it.

If you set your clock to the correct time, how far off does it get in X anount of hours? (without restarting anytime inbetween)

Lamer
May 29, 2001, 03:55 PM
What are your system specifications? Until I know them I can't give an accurate answer.

It is possible that you have a faulty CMOS battery, defective\insufficient RAM, or a program that is messing up the time, but definitely not a temporary glitch because, as you said, it already happened 5 times.

Even with a completely dead CMOS battery, your time will be messed up but your MIDI player shouldn't play files slower. Your time will get screwed up because it is dependent on the CMOS battery but the MIDI player shouldn't because it is independent of the battery and dependent on the amount of memory you have. If you are using Windows ME, try running a program called System Configuration Utility to be able to do a selective StartUp because you can choose everything you want to StartUp and what you don't want to StartUp as it shows even programs that don't appear in your StartUp folder. You can access the program by typing "msconfig" in the run text box.

Kaz
May 29, 2001, 04:57 PM
Hmm, I believe it is lack of memory... thanks, and I'll try and record the time is lags... btw, here are my system specs (stupid gateway)

233mhz PII Mmx

3.2 gb drive (hellllppp meee)

32 mb of ram (helllllpp meee) (simm, I wonder if I can sell that for a collector's price)

SCSI?

16 MB voodoo3 card (Geforce: THere's your problem!)

I had a CD-RW and a CD-ROM both linked and my system also acted crazy with that too (frequent freezes and one time slow down)

hmm, tha's about it I think...

Lamer
May 29, 2001, 06:19 PM
Yes, it is possibly the memory, I recently upgraded to 256MB RDRAM and P4 1.5Ghz but I still run out of memory when I run memory intensive programs because of the way Windows mishandles memory. It seems to me that the more RAM you have, the smaller the swapfile of gets as Windows lays the burden on your RAM. So, getting more memory helps your system but not to its full extent as it should.

Cpp
May 30, 2001, 12:23 PM
I had the same problem or should I say I still have it. When I play jj2 and (when) instead of receiving all those access violations I receive only one error message. My anti access violation patch http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Ok. But then the computer begins to slow down. Internet is slower, the computer clock is slower and after some time the whole computer slows down. You have to restart.

It happens only when I receive the error message.

Monolith
May 30, 2001, 02:51 PM
Oh yea, check the system properties for any problems :)

Lamer
May 30, 2001, 06:09 PM
Yes, the System Properties. You'll see either an exclamation point, question mark, or blue "i" beside the device with the problem in Device Manager. For easy access, press Windows Key+Pause Break for System Properties or the long way by Start|Settings|Control Panel|System.

Hareoic
Jul 30, 2001, 10:44 AM
What does this have to do with Jazz?

Talec
Jul 30, 2001, 05:14 PM
*Shrugs* Technical Help isn't just for JJ2 problems.

~Talec LP

Link
Jul 31, 2001, 09:55 PM
Link: My computer is broken! Help!

Dell: Format the hard drive and reinstall windows! NOW!

...*Click*...

Link: I just called you, and you didn't even listen to the problem!

Dell: What is the problem?

Link: Well, my clock is going slow and the sound doesn't work anymore...is there something wrong with my sound card?

Dell: Ok get a new sound card then! Goodbye!

Link: But wai...*Click*...

Link: I just called and you didn't listen!

Dell: I didn't?

Link: NO! I was trying to say that my computer is under warranty and you should send me a new sound card free of charge.

Dell: What sound card do you have?

Link: A Creative Sound Blaster Live Value

Dell: Ok we'll send it right away by Purolator...It should be there tomorrow morning before 9AM. Goodbye.

Link: But don't you need my addr...*click*...

Link: I am getting very mad now! You need my address to send me something, don't you?

Dell: Oh yes...give it to me now

Link: 27 Maple Street, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Link: Postal code: T2-Mary 3H2

Dell: We'll send it right away...*click*

.....Two Weeks Later.....

DING DONG!

Purolator: Sign here please

Link: Ok thank you

.....Link opens package.....

Link: @#%$!!!!!! WHAT IS THIS!!!!!!!!!!???????

Link: A booklet entitled "How to format your computer and reinstall Windows in 3 easy steps! (c) 1995 Dell Canada"!!!????

Dell: Isn't that what you asked for?

Link: NO!!!!!!!! I WANTED A SOUND CARD! I AM LOSING MONEY OFF OF THIS! CAN'T YOU JUST SEND SOMEONE HERE TO FIX IT!!!????

Dell: No we don't do that anymore. Our policy has changed because of violence in customers.

Link: ...*click*...

Link: I'll have to fix it myself...now what did that JCF person say? Msconfig?

Link ***Start: Run: msconfig***

Computer: "This program cannot be run do to restrictions in effect on this computer. Contact your administrator if you think this is in error"

Link: No problem...***Thinks back to getting around policies in school***

Link ***Start: Run: Regedit***

Link ***HKEY_CURRENT_USER: Software: Windows: C*****n: P*****s: E*****r***

Computer: default="Policies are not meant to be changed, you hacker! --Dell"

Link: I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS!

Link: Dell, I'm throwing my computer away because of you. Now are you happy?

Dell: Yes. Have a nice day =)

Anyways, I think you have a problem with your clock, or a memory leak. I think this happened to me once after running a program that crashed. I was supposed to be practicing piano but I was staring at the computer clock, and then I realized I had been staring for 3 minutes and it hadn't changed! I thought that the computer must have been frozen, but I moved the mouse and it was fine. I then restarted the computer and it was fixed. So try figuring out when this starts happening (if you are running the same program, etc...)