PDA

View Full Version : Possum dead? Uhh, goodbye

Electric Ir
Dec 26, 2002, 04:24 AM
I've decided to close Possum Online (http://possum.moron.nl). The game is dead or certainly too inactive to have a fansite for.

It has been down for a long time, but I don't think any of you noticed.

KRSplat
Dec 26, 2002, 05:59 AM
I've been waiting for confirmation. Anyway, I want to keep PU online so I have an example of how suxory I am at HTML and so that it can be easily revived in case I want to turn it into something else. I've been thinking of making a new website. Although what I already have is not something I really want to work from as a base. I would end up redoing the entire thing.

Newspaz
Dec 26, 2002, 06:05 AM
Well, nothing is confirmed yet. But the project being dead for over a year makes the future pretty clear.

Electric Ir
Dec 26, 2002, 06:29 AM
Well, if Possum suddenly shows any sign of life, I can re-open it.

Radium
Dec 26, 2002, 08:10 AM
Can something die if it was never born?

Electric Ir
Dec 26, 2002, 10:44 AM
... he says again.

Radium
Dec 26, 2002, 10:58 AM
I think the possum forum should be replaced by a FanGame forum.

Electric Ir
Dec 26, 2002, 11:17 AM
I don't think anyone would use that forum. Nobody ever makes fangames.

Trafton
Dec 26, 2002, 12:33 PM
No member of the team is coming up and saying it isn't dead, because no member of the team seems to care. No activity plus lack of interest plus no developments pretty much equals dead in my book.

Violet CLM
Dec 26, 2002, 01:45 PM
I noticed quite some time ago, really.

Radium
Dec 27, 2002, 04:05 PM
Let's have a funeral over JJ2. We can make a tileset with a big possum gravstone.

Hare
Dec 31, 2002, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't say nobody makes fangames, I've seen a lot of pokemon fangames, there is some south park ones... yeah, fangames are out there... Jazz jackarabbit fangames?.... *sigh* nope... not a one that I know of. I searched through my stuff... I don't have any pictures of Jazz in a game engine (that I did). Would have been nice to have a jazz jackrabbit quake II model (I could do something with that)... but ...hmm... if I DID have a jazz model in MD2 format..... haha! It would be so easy! 3DGameStudio with the predefine scripts (plus some light extra scripting, and altering) throw a level together and toss in some enemies, and you can have a jazz jackrabbit 3D shooter... but really, even something with such a little amount of effort would still be better than most all fan games out there ;).

Hare
Dec 31, 2002, 04:34 AM
Ooh, magic screen shot!

Jazz fangame screenshot (http://purrhead.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jazz3d.jpg)

It is... kind of a real screenshot... that IS a real Jazz graphic... and that IS a real level (unfinished).... but is that a real jazz fangame screenshot? Sadly, no. But a fun manifestation of fantasy, no less :).

Looks quite nice, no?

I'm working on the design document phaze of a 3D sidescroller, if all else fails, the least that can come of it is that people may be able to make jazz fangame with the sidescroller scripts.... or it may never make it that far off the ground... I'm hoping to make a commercial product with a team on this idea. Character art is in the art forum.

Anyways, it may make the creation of a fangame easier. No promises!

Radium
Dec 31, 2002, 06:46 AM
Yay! More proof shere should be a fangame forum!
I really liked your concept sketches in the art forum. Good luck on the game!

Krap, now I have to make a 3D game to be better than you.

Derby: Content edit.

Hare
Dec 31, 2002, 08:31 AM
Heh, don't feel too bad, I graduated from high school a couple of years ago. I take it that the majority of people here are in their early to mid teens. I'm not saying younger people don't do good stuff. I'm just saying I've had 21 years of experience of living on this earth, and a good chunck of those years I've been drawing, playing videogames, and dreaming up games and cartoons of my own. I just saw the screen shots of that Jazz Jackrabbit fan game you are making. I'm impressed :). Not many years ago I was trying to make computer games with Qbasic (good beginners experience for learning programming). And I only made about two playable games, and a couple title screens that haven't gone any farther than that. If I saw what you were doing back then, I would have thought you were the high guru of game creation ;). (that, and I would be even more wowed about someone making a jazz jackrabbit game :P... hehe, the thought of getting more jazz without paying a registering fee would have made my day... perhaps maybe my week as well :) I had so much shareware... back then they gave away whole episodes about as good as a full game themselves, as shareware. :)... I'm babbling... I bet we'll all end up telling our kids about the "Golden age" of shareware. for me, it was around the mid 1990's.... er... anyways, if you have the money to blow, you can get the standard edition of that gamestudio software for fifty bucks. From there, there are books and forums, and websites. If you have a Circut City near you, they have a game creation starter's kit, that comes with the gamestudio software. It is only 50 bucks, the price of the gamestudio software alone. Good deal. You can learn about the software (and/or order it) at www.3dgamestudio.com (http://www.3dgamestudio.com)

Good luck with your adventures :)

Hare
Dec 31, 2002, 08:34 AM
By the way, competition can be a good way to raise your skills :) Just don't let it go to your head. ;)

Radium
Dec 31, 2002, 12:23 PM
Thanks for that reassuring story=P.

I would try Game Studio, but I'm already learning Dark Basic (it's fun, like 3D windows based Qbasic).

Radium
Dec 31, 2002, 12:25 PM
Oh, and as for my fangame, I have another little project (still non3d) in the works currently... if it works, you'll all forget about the old side scroller fangame (which I'll prolly finish anyway). If it dosn't work... back to the sidescroller. No promises.

Tik
Jan 3, 2003, 02:50 AM
Mwah, that 3d screenshot looks great =P

And Radium, why would you become discouraged? No starts off as a master of something. It takes time and effort and will to arrive there. I do programming of my own, and I know I would not be able to achieve what you've done, and I'm pretty sure I'm older than you and have probably been tinkering with programming longer...I was making programs in QBasic in 3rd grade =P

But as for a side scroller..never could achieve that. I look forward to seeing your game.

Radium
Jan 3, 2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Spaztic
Mwah, that 3d screenshot looks great =P

And Radium, why would you become discouraged? No starts off as a master of something. It takes time and effort and will to arrive there. I do programming of my own, and I know I would not be able to achieve what you've done, and I'm pretty sure I'm older than you and have probably been tinkering with programming longer...I was making programs in QBasic in 3rd grade =P

But as for a side scroller..never could achieve that. I look forward to seeing your game.
I'm not discouraged. I simply like being best at what I do. The determination to be best is what helps one succeed. People that just want to be "average", or accept defeat have pretty sad lives. Essentially, to become the best you have to know there's someone better than you. When you become the best in one field, you move to the next, while keeping your posistion in the first.

Hare
Jan 4, 2003, 05:58 AM
I was going to post the level here, but the engine isn't included in the download. D'oh!

Hare
Jan 4, 2003, 06:00 AM
By the way, I seccond the notion for the changing the 'possum forum to a fangame forum.

Red_XIII
Jan 4, 2003, 06:29 AM
I hate to spoil your fun but...

COPYRIGHT

Jazz is copyright. Defalcon and me thought about a mod for UT2K3 so it will be a Jazz-styled game. That sorta died. :O :roll:

WE CANNOT USE JAZZ JACKRABBIT, SPAZ JACKRABBIT ETC. NOTHING. SHPAZZ. NONE. stupid copyright laws. Epic holds the copyright, you cannot use that jazz graphix. Even though it looks good.

Sorry to spoil your fun heh. Epic may be nice now Jazz GBA is slowly getting money for them. GO BUY 100 COPIES OF JAZZ GBA. THEN WE WILL HOLD THE COPYRIGHT FOR JAZZ =)

'Til then, Bye! =)

Radium
Jan 4, 2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Red_XIII
I hate to spoil your fun but...

COPYRIGHT

Jazz is copyright. Defalcon and me thought about a mod for UT2K3 so it will be a Jazz-styled game. That sorta died. :O :roll:

WE CANNOT USE JAZZ JACKRABBIT, SPAZ JACKRABBIT ETC. NOTHING. SHPAZZ. NONE. stupid copyright laws. Epic holds the copyright, you cannot use that jazz graphix. Even though it looks good.

Sorry to spoil your fun heh. Epic may be nice now Jazz GBA is slowly getting money for them. GO BUY 100 COPIES OF JAZZ GBA. THEN WE WILL HOLD THE COPYRIGHT FOR JAZZ =)

'Til then, Bye! =)
Actually, we can make fangames with Jazz all we want, it's only illegal if we sell them. To sell a game, we'd have to create original characters. The reason the UT2K3 thing died was that it was illegal for Noogy to give us the JJ3 graphics.

I third the notion of changing Possum to a fangame forum!... wait wasn't I the first to say that?

Hare
Jan 8, 2003, 06:27 AM
There are many fangames out there of Mario and pokemon. They were made, and I don't think the creators got in trouble. A fangame is no big deal. Besides, the worst that could happen is they will stop us, then we'd just have to change the graphics around... and some names... and we got... Bebop Bunny. (bebop being another music genre).... yeah, he can fly around in a ship called the Cowbunny Bebop!... great, now we have TWO companies mad at us :P 3 2 1 lets jam! *Hare seems preocupied by some... music that sounds like something out of some 70s movie soundtrack or something*

Evaluator
Jan 16, 2003, 11:26 AM
Um, Radium, you said you're going to learn Dark Basic...
I would learn Pure Basic or Blitz Basic (2D or 2D/3D) if I were you, because these two languages are much faster than Dark Basic and are not being interpreted. I also come from the QB Scene, but QB is too slow and too old for such a game...

Evaluator

Radium
Jan 16, 2003, 02:18 PM
Actually, right now I'm not doing anything with Dark Basic. I'll do something sooner or later. I'm busy practicing hypnosis.

JJ BBoy KS
Jan 17, 2003, 12:53 PM
*Sob* poor possum

Lets all have a moment of screaming for possum :(

Electric Ir
Mar 9, 2003, 04:40 AM
(Elec: Fake Content removal)

Stijn
Mar 9, 2003, 06:42 AM
Nice :D