PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Dash picture

Hare
Dec 31, 2002, 03:57 AM
A merge of 2d and 3d art. Actual game engine used here.

http://purrhead.tripod.com/projectfrostbite/rabbit_dash.jpg

Not a new one, but I'm sure it is new to you ppl :).

Tik
Jan 3, 2003, 01:41 AM
Looks sweet, love the blue hair.

The background is...okay, I guess. I like the idea of merging 2d and 3d, but that background seems rather simplistic and doesn't make much sense with the bunny, at least to me. But I never know what I'm saying so don't hold anything I just said in high regard...or low regard. Just ignore me.

Hare
Jan 3, 2003, 04:12 AM
It was a game idea I was working on... not too enthused about it.

Unciaa
Jan 3, 2003, 01:40 PM
Hmm, I just get a Tripod logo, with the root site getting declared as non-existant. Mwa?

KRSplat
Jan 3, 2003, 01:43 PM
Copy the address and paste it into a new window.

Captain Spam
Jan 3, 2003, 04:38 PM
Very nice drawing. A bit of running action pic that I've bwanted to be able to do for a while. Nice. And I love the shading style. :-)

But, I do have to agree with Spaztic a bit.... the background DOES seem a bit simplistic...

Kaz
Jan 3, 2003, 08:04 PM
Use additive blends on the background. It'll make it look a bit more fancy.

I like the rabbit tho. Like Spam said, nice shading techniques.

Unciaa
Jan 4, 2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by KRSplat
Copy the address and paste it into a new window.

D'oh... Stupid Opera cached the image, that's why it didn't work when I originally tried it manually. ^^;

Hee, nice pic. What is he running away from though, SHODAN? :p

Hare
Jan 4, 2003, 05:35 AM
Ah, the reason it is simplistic is because the background is from a 3d special effects test I did for the project... that, and the level was only supposed to look like scrolling code (like in the matrix), too much of that code here and there would get confusing. I'll pull up the demo for you to check out if you want (it can be a bit dizzying, I've been told) Oh yeah, you need a 3D accelerated video card that can handle 16bit 3D graphics, it won't work in 8 bit mode. (with the technique I used, if you tried it in 8 bit, all you would see is clouds, nothing else... Certainly a drawback.)

System requrements... I'd say at least a pentium 200 is neccessary... at least ...32, maybe 64 MB of ram.... and..I really don't know what video card is needed... just something that can handle hardware exceleration with 16 bit graphics. If you think this little demo shouldn't take this much stuff to run, please keep in mind that this engine was designed to be able to do more complicated things than this.... actually the motion blur thing was a cleaver use of that same thing that happens when you don't add a background in JJ2.... it may be able to work the same way.... in JJ2... I'll check it out.

Here is the demo, 1.077 MB:

http://purrhead.tripod.com/matrixfun.zip

Copy and paste :) (it won't work any other way. thank you tripod)

Hare
Jan 4, 2003, 05:50 AM
Whoa, I just downloaded that thing again (i probably have it somewhere in my files, but I didn't bother looking).

Dang, I forgot how trippy that thing is.... but still, it isn't good if people who need to run it on software mode can't see it. I hate it when something cool has to exclude people with lower end computer components. If I made a game with this effect, I'd have to make it so it is viewable with lower end video cards... that would eliminate the blur effect.

Hare
Jan 4, 2003, 05:53 AM
Wait... low end 3D cards are cheap, they can get as low as 40 bucks and lower. Even one of those low power ones could run this thing, I think.

Unciaa
Jan 4, 2003, 07:46 AM
Whoah, trippy. Also had one of those Flash "look, it's a picture, look, it screams loud" pages loading in the background [yeah, those never get old :rolleyes: ] which activated its scream just as I walked off the platform... Creepy. :p

Hare
Jan 4, 2003, 10:12 PM
I never added a screaming page to that file... hmm. Must have been something you were viewing while running the game.

Unciaa
Jan 5, 2003, 03:17 AM
Hmm, reread my post and find out what it was? :D