PDA

View Full Version : Who wants avatars!

Tubz
Jan 1, 2003, 02:48 PM
Let's take a poll here.
Now, now people let's remember the #1 rule with all polls.

MAJORITY RULES!

I voted Yes.

Trafton
Jan 1, 2003, 03:20 PM
Majoraty does not necessarily rule. It is the administrators', not the users', choice. I voted No, because I believe they make the board crowded and force the board to make more queries (it is called something like that.)

Avatars just would not look good. They make a board look unprofessional and waste space that could be used for actual content as opposed to a picture. There have been many topics like this before, and none of them have actually worked. My opinion is that custom titles are enough and that avatars make the board look crowded and unprofessional.

Blackraptor
Jan 1, 2003, 03:28 PM
I dont really care, but im sure the admins would do this so i picked no. MYabe in the future.......

Derby
Jan 1, 2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by JJ Tublear
Now, now people let's remember the #1 rule with all polls.

MAJORITY RULES!

Where in the guidelines did you find that?

Trafton
Jan 1, 2003, 05:35 PM
The truth is that majoraty does not rule on the JCF. Just because 99% of users want something to happen does not mean the administrators do. Anyway, No is winning 4-1.

Another Jazz 2 fan
Jan 2, 2003, 11:24 AM
I agree with Trafton. Avatars would not add anything to the board. No. And majority doesn't rule.

~AJ2f

Feline
Jan 2, 2003, 01:00 PM
Avatars are a waste of time. Asking for stars is one thing. Asking for a children's toy is another.

Tubz
Jan 2, 2003, 03:57 PM
LOL, that went completely wrong. Didn't go the way I expected anyway all of you are right the majority doesn't rule.

And if it did rule that Bush might've not become President, the Electoral College made most of the decisions.

I guess the admins are the Electoral College. :o

Another Jazz 2 fan
Jan 2, 2003, 05:03 PM
No, the admins run this community. They do what is in our best interest. And if you feel differently, then nobody is stopping you from leaving. So don't complain about how things are done, some people are sick and tired of it; and that is a very noobish attitude.

Trafton
Jan 2, 2003, 05:07 PM
The electorial college analogy isn't really accurate. The admins do not run the community as much as the JCF. They are community members who just own the message board. When arguing something like this, take into account that:

1) The final decision doesn't rest with the admins.

2) Presenting a good argument is more important than just numbers.

3) If they say No, don't keep asking over and over.

4) Majority does not rule.

Another Jazz 2 fan
Jan 2, 2003, 05:19 PM
:o
Oh yeah, I meant they run the JCF when I said community. But, I agree, the electoral college analogy is a poor one.

KRSplat
Jan 3, 2003, 01:09 PM
I don't like avatars. They take up too much loading time for everybody who's posted to have a picture. They show creativity and perseonality, but it's really annoying. Besides, what we really need is a poll asking how many people would really use it.

Xion
Jan 4, 2003, 05:07 PM
Lemme just say this:

Turn avatars on for ONE WEEK. If it makes them too ugly or there are objectional avatars, turn off the avatars and never turn them on again! Just a trial run. If there were no problems, then there shall be no problems and the avatars will stay.

Trafton
Jan 4, 2003, 05:14 PM
The problem is also that there are some coding issues (or at least there were last time this happened.) Besides, cleaning up the avatar files wouldn't be as easy as you would think. I'm not sure how well VBulletin handles it. A one week demo wouldn't be terrible, but I would rather they not stay long-term. Again, that's just me. :P

Xion
Jan 4, 2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Trafton
Again, that's just me. :P

There we go.

Let's talk to Frank, Nebula, And to an extent, Derby!

MoonBlazE
Jan 16, 2003, 07:01 AM
Avatars only for brag, and they make the pages take even longer to load.

No.

Trafton
Jan 16, 2003, 11:52 AM
Here's another thing to take into consideration: J2O is barely under its monthly data transfer ability. At the current pace, it may even exceed it. This means that J2O would stop working for a while and there would be no JCF. I think that there is no way it could work until the monthly data transfer rate is back under control. There is a good chance that having to load an avatar with every page would push this over its limit. So my vote is no.

Xion
Jan 17, 2003, 05:22 PM
Well in that case...

No avatars. I'm convinced. the JCF cannot have avatars untill something drastic changes...I.E. a new server.

*ding! fizz-fizz pop* Shoot thought I had an idea.

Trafton
Jan 19, 2003, 02:59 PM
Even with a better server, I still think avatars would make the board look more crowded. Recently, on the CCMB, they removed avatars. I found myself wondering why the board looked so much less cluttered until I noticed that the avatars were gone. It would just end up making the JCF look unneededly cluttered, and does not add any functionality beyond avatars.

dopeh
Jan 20, 2003, 07:04 AM
Right you are Traftoman..it's way more neater..Leave it, it's fine as it is.

Xion
Jan 21, 2003, 01:37 PM
although sometimes an avatar shows what we are: a hellfire, an angel, or anything between. I found them to be a staple in BBS systems, and don't mind them. Actually I find looking for a picture rather than a name is better when quickly looking through a thread for a certain post, you can just look for that user's avatar, other than looking at small white letters.

I could help out by hosting the avatars themselves on another server but my servers are either down or do not allow outsourcing. See what happens when I try?

http://xion.150m.com/xiondragonearwing.jpg

Trafton
Jan 21, 2003, 02:39 PM
The JCF does not have custom ranks. I'm not sure if your examples are custom ranks, though. Some people are better at remember pictures than names, and I suppose it's a person-by-person thing. I'm more used to remembering by names.