PDA

View Full Version : New gametype, has this been done before?

Radium
Jan 1, 2003, 05:42 PM
I'm currently working on a new level, demonstrating a new gametype. It's like CTF, and played in CTF mode, but involves a bit more strategy. One player on each team, both the server and first client to join, start with the flag. Their goal is to get it to the base at a castle on the other side of the level. If someone dies, they go to the other side's jail. If the guy with the flag dies, you need to break him out of jail to score more points. Essentially, the goal is to safely get the guy with the flag to the other side, and rescue him if he dies. It's extra fun if the guy's a n00b. You can't switch who the flag guy is unless two people die at the same time and there is lots of lag.

About the level itself, I havn't tested it yet, but it seems flawless. It uses Et's award-winning tileset. Though I'm not sure how fair this is, red team starts with 50 toasters, and blue starts with 25 powered toasters. The level dosn't have a waiting room or anyting like that. It's simple for anyone to use. It even uses trigger zones to make it so n00bs can't free the wrong jail =P.

So, I was wondering if this idea has been used before, or if I'm the first.

Trafton
Jan 1, 2003, 05:46 PM
I believe it is new. It also sounds quite spiffy. Can you somehow send me a demolevel?

Radium
Jan 1, 2003, 05:49 PM
When it's done. I have a few more platforms to add. Then I'll pput in some weapons. But fight now it is playable... just not fun yet.

n0
Jan 1, 2003, 08:02 PM
Sounds like w00t!

If this is ever hosted, I might just halfta play online again. :P

`N0

FQuist
Jan 2, 2003, 02:37 AM
Yeah, this has been done before. We call it the jail concept. It's a bit different in that you just capture the flag normally but the rest is the same.

Radium
Jan 2, 2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Fquist
Yeah, this has been done before. We call it the jail concept. It's a bit different in that you just capture the flag normally but the rest is the same.
Well, yeah, I stole some of Mike's Jail2 concept, but that's not the important part.

Trafton
Jan 2, 2003, 05:26 PM
Actually, while it does borrow things from JAIL, it doesn't sound like it would play anything like it. I have one question: so, the point is to have your person on the CTF base when the other flagcarrier dies? It wasn't clear when in the cycle one would score.

Radium
Jan 2, 2003, 05:47 PM
No, it uses four bases. You just need to get to the opponents side. And don't worry, I used trigs to prevent the "scoring for opposing team" bug.