PDA

View Full Version : One ring to rule them all

Unciaa
Jan 3, 2003, 02:00 PM
http://www.lionking.org/~sichi/stuff/jaguarfrodo.jpg

A birthday present for a jaguar friend. Wish I could have drawn the head in a more rotated position [just looks cheap in this perspective], but then the scene wouldn't work... Ahwell. Fairly happy with the background, I usually just throw something abstract there. :)

Made the thing to be printable, so its original scale is 2500x4000 [sample (http://www.lionking.org/~sichi/stuff/jaguarfrodosample.jpg)], which merrily chugs my system to death every time I loead or save... Need more RAM. *g*

MoonBlazE
Jan 3, 2003, 02:05 PM
That's great, but the pose is a bit strange. ;P

Nemesis
Jan 3, 2003, 02:47 PM
Very nice rendering, but he looks too tall. His ankles are also extremely thin.

Good job anyhow. I'm sure your jaguar friend loves it. :)

Radium
Jan 3, 2003, 02:47 PM
Something's wrong with it, but I can't tell what. I really like the textures =P.

Captain Spam
Jan 3, 2003, 04:22 PM
I dunno, the pose looks right to me. His right ankle seems to be at an odd angle, but besides that, looks good. Cool!

Tik
Jan 3, 2003, 05:39 PM
I don't know what everyone's talking about, I think it's awesome. I like the smilie in the top left, too.

Batty Buddy
Jan 3, 2003, 05:45 PM
Que Passa!!!!

The clothes and the sword stand out for me. I like it.

Radium
Jan 3, 2003, 06:13 PM
I know there's something wrong with it, something very minor, but I can't quite figure out what... *pulls out hair*. This forum should have a link to Noogy's forum where people can get professional critisizim.

Radium
Jan 3, 2003, 06:19 PM
Actually, I think it's something to do with the mouth. It dosn't fit in... I think... does anyone agree with me? Or am I simply going crazy from spending six hours posting on a forum?

Kaz
Jan 3, 2003, 07:55 PM
It's all out of proportion in a way.

The neck is too long, as well as the upper arm. His hand is also too small =\,.. erm..

too many proportion problems =\.

Unciaa
Jan 4, 2003, 02:49 AM
Heh, I tend to draw my characters too tall [and skinny]... My brain just revolts the moment I try to do the opposite. :p

Yep, done in Photoshop, with some minor help of Xara for Sting [why rotate a bitmap when you can rotate a vector image]. :)

GuMmYBeAr!
Jan 4, 2003, 09:42 AM
I absolutely love the coloring.

FreeLance
Jan 4, 2003, 10:12 AM
Too tall? According to what? The guage is totally there, if you consider how small Sting really is, then the Jaguar IS hobbit sized.

All you haters are just mean.

Awesome picture.

Unciaa
Jan 4, 2003, 10:56 AM
*giggle*
Now now, don't bash the critics, can't improve without those. ;)

Well, I did draw Sting to scale [whichever scale Jackson made it to fit at least]; maybe not so much tall as skinny. Hard to judge without a character or another object to give it a sense of proportion really, should probably have included something to define it. Armour glove or skeletal piece would have done.

FreeLance
Jan 4, 2003, 05:21 PM
But that shouldn't be needed, because it's obviously supposed to be a hobbit if you judge by sting.

Also, the only flaw I would see is the ankle being turned a bit too far toward the wall. The thing with the mouth, I guess, is that it ends near the front. But that's no biggy.
Great picture :D

Radium
Jan 4, 2003, 07:40 PM
I like the ankle but I agree that the mouth is a little too far forward and round.

Nemesis
Jan 4, 2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by FreeLance
Too tall? According to what? The guage is totally there, if you consider how small Sting really is, then the Jaguar IS hobbit sized.

All you haters are just mean.

Awesome picture.

"Haters"?

I can't help but laugh. :D

No wonder you posted this in Noogy's forum. ;)

Unciaa
Jan 5, 2003, 03:14 AM
Yes, the zero replies so far on that forum are building my confidence and area-of-modification-awareness like nobody's business. ;)

Not sure I understand what is wrong with the mouth though. The muzzle is too long? Or is the corner of the lip not far back enough?
But yes, heads is where I need most work; with the head in anything but a classic pose like front or side it usually takes me more time to draw the muzzle than it does to draw the rest of the body... I just cannot get the perspective on it right without a load of trial and error.

Nemesis
Jan 5, 2003, 05:00 AM
Give it time, and if nobody responds in a few days, you know they don't care. ;)

Most of the people on Noogy's forum are adults, so they have this thing... I believe they call it a "life"... But yeah, this "life" seems to get them away from the computer for a while. Sometimes it takes me days to get ANYTHING from there, but when you get it, it CAN be quite good.

Besides, I reckon waiting for useful replies is better than getting flooded with replies that don't help you at all. That's just my opinion.

I also can't be very helpful with furries... It does seem to me, though, that he is too tall. I didn't think his sword was that small compared to him... And besides, the lack of anything else around him also makes him look taller, because people are not used to seeing Hobbits everywhere.

I don't think anything is wrong with the face, but like I said, furries aren't my strong point.

And for a suggestion, the clothes should be a little more textured. That's just a suggestion, though.

Unciaa
Jan 5, 2003, 05:45 AM
Nah, Sting is pretty much drawn to size (http://www.lionking.org/~sichi/stuff/compare.jpg). I think I see the main problem though; his head is a tad small for the body size and neck length. Should have made the head some 10% larger, with the top of it being where the current one's is.
Ahwell, we live, we learn. :)

For cloth texture, check out the linked sample in the original post. Next time I should probably use a larger texture to overlay over the fine one so it becomes visible at lower resolutions. *makes mental notes*

FreeLance
Jan 5, 2003, 07:22 AM
Noogy's forum is the sucks.

Radium
Jan 5, 2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by FreeLance
Noogy's forum is the sucks.
Noogy's forum owns you.

Actually, Unciaa, I think the mouth is too round and too far forward. Maybe also a little too high, but I'm not sure about that. Give the people at noogy's forum some time =P. And I think you should've given him bigger feet:p.

Unciaa
Jan 5, 2003, 02:48 PM
Funny thing is, I usually give them way too large a pair of feet [I like big paws, they look cute on cute chars and powerful on strong chars ^_^]... No idea why they came out so small this time. :p

1 (http://unciaa.dyndns.org/stuff/unc_WolfDance.jpg)
2 (http://unciaa.dyndns.org/stuff/unc_lycaon.gif)

See? BIG paws. Weird. *g*

Radium
Jan 5, 2003, 04:42 PM
I think the feet seem fine on all of those, but it dosn't make sense Frodo having the smallest feet of all. Oh, and do you want us to critisize those two as well?

Nemesis
Jan 5, 2003, 05:01 PM
Maybe, to prevent ****ing people off, if you DON'T want criticism, say so. :p

Unciaa
Jan 6, 2003, 02:53 AM
Nope, the mistaken in the older pieces are glaring to me, I just need unbiased opinions on the new one; it's like proof-reading own essays, you don't see the spelling and grammar errors because your brain knows what is supposed to be there and compensates. *g*

Radium
Jan 6, 2003, 04:52 AM
Before you post/color something you should put it away for an hour to a week, then take it out and all the mistakes will be ovbious.

Yeah, that also works for essays =P.

Unciaa
Jan 6, 2003, 09:23 AM
Well, couldn't do that here, only had a week to do the entire thing before it was due. Am even now paying the consequences, spent all the time drawing and not enough programming, which is biting me in the, hm, tail right now. *g*