PDA

View Full Version : Thread #2

Charge
Jan 18, 2003, 07:24 AM
Hey Guys, Quick Question, I know this is going to sound newbish like. I have never really made a tileset before but I own PSP and Adobe Photoshop. If I wanted to import tiles from another 2-d game (f/e: Claw, Rayman, Jazz 1, Worms) which would be better to use? easier to use? better results?

Thx.

-Charge

Rage
Jan 18, 2003, 07:39 AM
PSP. You will be able to edit the pallette, which is incredibly useful.

Aiko
Jan 18, 2003, 08:00 AM
I've never used PS, but PSP is a good choice in any case. I've done some nice 2D sets with it and it works fine. Esspecially what Rage said, tileset manipulating is very easy with PSP.

KRSplat
Jan 18, 2003, 08:01 AM
More dezcriptive thread name pleaze? (I did that on purpoze. Fear my replacing s with z zkillz.)

/me wonders if this has anything to do with Charge's other topic

Charge
Jan 18, 2003, 09:31 AM
No, My **other post** has something to do with more skilled happenings. Like fish on a fryed bread waiting for James dean. Mmmmkay?

Violet CLM
Jan 18, 2003, 12:11 PM
If you have PSP, you should have little use for Photoshop. Disguise should be happy to give you more details. Or maybe he won't.

Onag
Jan 20, 2003, 11:10 PM
Hold on, now. Paint Shop Pro is a wonderful program, but I wouldn't use it over Photoshop any day. Photoshop is a much more professional-grade photograph editing (hence the name) software than is PSP. Just because Photoshop has a higher learning curve doesn't make it inferior.

Anyway, thus ends my anti- anti-Photoshop rant.

Charge, if you are familiar with Photoshop, I would definitely reccomend using it, as it provides far better editing capabilities if you know how to use them (yes, including palette editing). On the other hand, Paint Shop Pro will be much easier to get the hang of if you're not familiar with either.

The most important thing is: a legal (i.e. registered) user is a happy user.

Disguise
Jan 21, 2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Onag
Hold on, now. Paint Shop Pro is a wonderful program, but I wouldn't use it over Photoshop any day.*GASP!*
HOW DARE YOU?! PAINT SHOP PRO IS THE BEST!!! IT IS, IT WAS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE!!! :D :D :D

Hehehe, okokok I'll be serious this time:
HOW DARE YOU?! PAINT SHOP PRO IS THE BEST!!! IT IS, IT WAS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE!!! :D :D :D

Ok I got a little carried away again (}>), but really, I would recommend PSP to anyone, especially for <s>ripping</s> editing tiles from other platform games.

However, as Onag has so politely pointed out to us is that not every person is a die-hard PSP 'anti-Photoshop' junkie like myself :p
If you are familiar with Photoshop, which is definitley a good drawing program (I have this sucker aswell but never liked it), you should use it, as easy as that. As for which one would give better results, it depends.

JJ2 is a 256 colour game, but you only have 160 palette entries to add your own custom colours into, so the main factor on what would give the best results is the one that would give the best colour reduction capabilities. Saying that, however, is very circumstantial. Most platform games are 256 (or less) colours anyway so it the results shouldn't be much different with either program you use.

And now comes the tutorial part (PSP ofcourse). I'll try and keep this short.

1. Download <a href="http://www.geocities.com/alister_j_t/PalSuite/Index.htm">Palette Suite</a> by Toxic Bunny. I dotn care about the palette editing capabilities of PSP or PS, this one is better, guaranteed.

2. Make a 24-bit tileset image of the entire tileset. Don't worry about the palette for now. Yes this takes long, but its a tileset, you have to do it ;)

3. In PSP, open the image and choose 'Colors-->Decrease Color Depth-->X Colors (4/8bit)'. Reduce the image to 160 colours and make SURE the reduction method is 'nearest color' instead of 'error diffusion'. Error diffusion just looks ugly and makes the set look grainy.

4. Select 'Colors-->Save Palette' and do the obvious. You dont need the reduced image, but make sure you have the 24-bit one ready.

5. Load the palette you just saved in Palette Suite. Go to the 'Special Effects' tab and select the 160 colors (or less if there are less) of your palette. 'Edit-->Copy' the colors.

6. Open the default <a href="http://users.surfanytime.co.uk/disguise/Jazz.pal">Jazz 2 Palette</a> in palsuite. Under the 'Special Effects' tab, select the 160 colours under the default JJ2 colours and 'Edit-->Paste'. Save the palette afterwards.
<b>NOTE:</b> In order to paste, you need to have the same amount of tiles selected that you copied. For example: If you only copied 128 colours, you need to select 128 tiles in the new palette in order for it to paste.

7. Back to the 24-bit image in Paint Shop Pro. Go to 'Colors-->Load Palette' and choose the palette you made in Palette Suite. Remember to select 'Nearest Color Matching'.

8. The image you see before you now is your JJ2-Friendly tileset, just make a mask and save it in your 'tiles' directory in the JJ2 folder.

There, thats it. Dont kill me if there is a mistake in my instructions, I'm at school and getting this all from memory, but it should be close enough to get you to do the right thing.

P.S. Onag posted here, that is amazing!
He's only made 2 posts and his other post was a year ago!
Another one of these mysterious oldie sightings happening lately, scares me ;)

Tik
Jan 21, 2003, 04:34 AM
*explodes*

ONAG SIGHTING.

*unexplodes*

SoulFirE
Jan 21, 2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Disguise
*GASP!*

......blabla......

There, thats it. Dont kill me if there is a mistake in my instructions, I'm at school and getting this all from memory, but it should be close enough to get you to do the right thing.

Or you can just make the tileset pixel by pixel in 256 color mode, instead of using all those effects! GO HANDMADE TILESETS!

I agree about the Palette Suite part btw.

Disguise
Jan 21, 2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by SoulFirE
Or you can just make the tileset pixel by pixel in 256 color mode, instead of using all those effects! GO HANDMADE TILESETS!

I agree about the Palette Suite part btw. You could, but Charge here wants to <s>rip</s> use tiles that have already been drawn, in which case the method explained above is the best ;)

SoulFirE
Jan 21, 2003, 06:44 AM
Ow yea, I forgot that:D , but anyways, Charge, if you want ot make an ORGINAL tileset after your rip/conversion, draw it by hand!!