PDA

View Full Version : Forum Wishlist: Quick Reply

Xion
Jan 21, 2003, 01:33 PM
I have seen this on the winamp forums (http://forums.winamp.com/) and I like it. It's a small box at the bottom of the thread that can let you quickly reply to messages, without having to go to another page. This box does not have any of the Vb code available to use, but if you know it you can use it. I think that this is a great addition to forums, specifically in the Misc forum with the games. Yes, a few more bytes for us to download, but we'd rather download 2000 more bytes than a whole another page. Catch my drift?

KRSplat
Jan 21, 2003, 01:54 PM
That would be very useful for those games that take 1 second to reply to, but take 5 seconds to load.

Trafton
Jan 21, 2003, 02:36 PM
Actually, I would not mind that. The only possible problem is that it would slow down loading slightly. Still, being someone who has accessed the JCF from at least ten different locations, most of which have somewhat slow Internet connections, I can say that this would be highly convinient on low connections. This would probably require a hack, however, which could cause coding problems. It would be nice to have, especially if you could enable or disable it by default. The only other problem I see is that it might prompt some to accidentally double post more, but it still is a nice idea. I know there is a problem with it that I'm forgetting, but I don't think it is a big one. :)

Tik
Jan 22, 2003, 07:20 AM
Wow, that is a really good idea. Having to load a new page each time is rather annoying now that I consider it, and having the reply box right at the bottom would certainly be more convenient, plus I'd imagine it would somehow encourage more posts.

And double posting wouldn't be a problem because of the 30 second posting limit...unless you mean double posting as in not editting your last post to include something and just posting an entirely new message.

Fawriel
Jan 22, 2003, 07:32 AM
So what about editing and quoting,dudes? ;B

http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/fawriel/OMG.bmp

:p

Trafton
Jan 22, 2003, 11:22 AM
Piccolo: Quoting can be done through code:

{QUOTE}{I}Originally posted by Name{/I}
{B}Message here.{/B}{/QUOTE}

Of course, { is actually the bracket in this case.

This produces the following:

Originally posted by Name
Message here.

Editing would require a new page. I meant double posting for people with connections that often take a long time to load pages. They will sometimes click on POST twice. Since the message is actually posted before the page loads, some would assume the page not loading would mean that the page wasn't posted and click again after the thirty second limit has expired. It happens.

EDIT: Evil HTML code. Last time I use the xmp tag.

FQuist
Jan 25, 2003, 02:29 PM
VBulletin 3 will have this.

Xion
Jan 25, 2003, 06:20 PM
I have three words to say about this.

YAY!

WOOT!

SMEG!

KRSplat
Jan 26, 2003, 12:58 PM
/me is scared to reveal one downside that could prevent it from happening called spam promotation -- oops. I didn't say that

Xion
Jan 26, 2003, 04:07 PM
The 30-second limit will stop most double clicks, and if it's like Traf said, we can always delete the post.

Tik
Mar 10, 2003, 09:19 AM
Soo...when will VBulletin 3 be coming out? =P

Trafton
Mar 10, 2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Spaztic
Soo...when will VBulletin 3 be coming out? =P
It is already out. The question is when the JCF will upgrade. ;-P

dopeh
Mar 11, 2003, 06:45 AM
...or when they'll install the mod..

FQuist
Mar 14, 2003, 09:08 AM
vB 3 is not out at all yet, foo.

Trafton
Mar 14, 2003, 01:10 PM
Well, some sort of updated VBulletin is, as the members list feature on the demo board looks a lot different than our's (for instance, it has alphabetical indexing.)

Newspaz
Mar 14, 2003, 01:52 PM
They're running a beta

$tilettø
Mar 15, 2003, 01:35 AM
VB3 not out yet? im sure i saw it No beta or what
anyway a 'Quik reply box' would be a nice addon for this forum

FQuist
Mar 15, 2003, 03:26 AM
Vb3 isn't out but they're running a beta on their forums. A private one.