PDA

View Full Version : Screen Shots of a 3D fangame

Hare
Jan 23, 2003, 07:23 PM
Copy and paste

http://purrhead.tripod.com/jazz3d/jazzerx2.jpg

http://purrhead.tripod.com/jazz3d/diamondus002.jpg

http://purrhead.tripod.com/jazz3d/diamondus003.jpg

If anyone from Epic is looking at this, may I have the privelage of making this game available to the other jazzers?

about 10% complete
Multiplayer will not be available

Violet CLM
Jan 23, 2003, 07:25 PM
Lots and lots of tile bugs. Fix.

Hare
Jan 23, 2003, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I lost those graphics, anyways, when I moved the files. Picky picky, but you do have a point. When I remake the graphics, I'll fix that.

By the way, this is bloody hard work, and I'm not being paid, so don't expect anything epic quality. A lot of things will be cut. Sorry, I'm just a little stressed from working too hard :P. A team! A team! I need a team!

Hare
Jan 23, 2003, 08:17 PM
Does anyone want to help on this project? I'd like some help from artists, modelers, and level designers. It would make the project go along faster.

¿Ðàrkér¿ TRC
Jan 23, 2003, 08:24 PM
uh, very neat, kinda buggy though

Hare
Jan 23, 2003, 08:35 PM
It isn't that buggy, just mistextured :P

JanusJackrabbit
Jan 24, 2003, 06:54 AM
What program are you using?

Fawriel
Jan 24, 2003, 07:08 AM
I wish I could help,but I can neither do programming nor do I have any great graphic programs...^_^;;

But,if you have a level-creator like JJ2 has one I could make some levels I think...or gimme an other job...or just do it without me! XD
*feels useless*

(Well I do have GIMP at least...*cough*)

Radium
Jan 24, 2003, 07:51 AM
I would help you, but I prefer leading projects or working alone. I also hav a lot I'm doing right now. I'm also feeling pretty sick today... If I die, tell Darker he can have this bomb I made, as long as he promises to light it while holding it.

DoubleGJ
Jan 24, 2003, 12:43 PM
Cool graphics. When Jazz VS Sonic saw this, it has hidden under my bed and didn't want to come out until I gave it some cake. Am I wrong or this is FPP? If yes, then no longer I have to think about Jazz in Action (at least unless your game is a junk or doesn't have multiplayer, and I hope that this words won't come true).

Funny that you didn't use ANY JJ2 or JJ1 graphics. Never seen somebody make Jazz2 fangame like this before.

Hare
Jan 24, 2003, 01:09 PM
I'm using 3D gamestudio, but there are programs you can download for free to make levels for it. It is nice that I can use quake 1 levels and quake 2 models with this program. (because there are free editors out there to make these things) Gamestudio will cost someone at least 50 dollars.

You have gimp, eh? And you said you don't have any great graphics programs? Let me show you something I did with GIMP

http://purrhead.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sophianight.jpg

Gimp is a powerful program, and my weapon of choice ;). (Mainly because I can't afford Photoshop)

Sadly this won't be multiplayer (visit www.3dgamestudio.com and see why it isn't multiplayer) *snicker* (Or I could just tell you that I can't afford $1250)

This game will be third person (first person optional) The reason you don't see Jazz in those screenshots is because... well, I don't have a jazz model... the model that is running through those levels is some man with green hair who isn't wearing a shirt, and that certainly is not jazz.... funny... green hair, no shirt... sounds like jazz actually.

Hare
Jan 24, 2003, 01:15 PM
By the way, diamondus is turning out good, but please keep in mind, I'm only a beginning/moderate experienced level designer. I fealt cool as beans when I made this stupid tree thing... it just has a fun look to it :P Has platforms you can jump on. That, and I was excited at some of the angles I made some blocks at :P (Hey, after getting so many errors because I did it wrong, it was absolutely great to find out I did it right :P)

By the way, Piccolo, what did you have in mind? What kind of art do you want to do?

Fawriel
Jan 24, 2003, 01:30 PM
Wow,I've gotta train my GIMP-abilities more...o_o;;;

Best things I did with GIMP yet are
Tombery,the Lord of Evil (http://images.deviantart.com/large/indyart/games/Tombery_the_Lord_of_Evil.jpg)
and
Venea (http://images.deviantart.com/large/indyart/anthro/Venea_for_Spinnah.png) ...
Not the best stuff you can find,but I'm proud...*cough*

So,if you want my help,you may give me a job...^_^;;;
I'll work hard if my work's gonna be published in a game...*drools* 8D

Fawriel
Jan 24, 2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Hare
By the way, Piccolo, what did you have in mind? What kind of art do you want to do?
Oh,I'm good at character design...and I can make goodies levels with an easy-to-use tool...^^;

Radium
Jan 24, 2003, 01:35 PM
I have to write a drawing tutorial or something for all the sucky people (no offence, Faw).

DoubleGJ
Jan 24, 2003, 01:36 PM
Hare, you make me feel tiny. I have to work even more on DD and JVS or else I'll think I've shrunk to nothing!!!

Wow, I finished next CTF level for DD today. Just look how I mobilized myself. I'm proud. Of my hamster. He has bitten a bad burglar who looked like JSZ Spaz.

Hare
Jan 24, 2003, 03:25 PM
I'm making this game for the Jazz community, not to put everyone else down. I realize how much fun I'd have if someone made a game like this, and I want this for the community. Your work is still good, and as Issac Newton said, "If I have seen farther, it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants". I have only gotten this good because someone else does better than me, and has gone before me. I know you have a good strong spirit for your work. "do not despise the day of small beginnings" as one person once stated. The work you are doing on jazz vs spaz would have amazed me when I was your age. I'm 21 now (maybe you'll feel less overwhelmed if you know I'm an adult). By the time you are my age, your skill will far surpass what I am making here, if you continue to grow.

I think you are doing a great job... and if you want to build 3d levels, take it slow, I think I popped a cerebral lobe trying to figure this stuff out :P. *chuckles*

by the way, look at the latest games out in stores then look at this, I still have a ways to go too. ;)

Radium
Jan 24, 2003, 03:30 PM
Hare, you'd make more money selling your inspirational speeches than you would making games =P.

Hare
Jan 24, 2003, 03:32 PM
By the way, Piccolo, perhaps I can show you a few tricks with GIMP sometime.

Lets start out with something vitally important to doing good CGI art, Layers. Are you familiar with using Layers?

Radium
Jan 24, 2003, 03:37 PM
Wasn't there a topic about using layers on Noogy's forum?

Hare
Jan 24, 2003, 03:44 PM
Careful, Radium, I could take that the wrong way ;) (You are saying I make bad games? *sniffle*) Haha, joking. I understand what you mean, and even if you say I'm below par on my game creation, I myself know I have a long way to go.

And to tell the truth, if you ever talked to me in real life, you'd wonder if I was the same person. I have a mental disability (so I may not act my age all the time), and a severe case of dorkiness :P. LOL. I just open up better when I write.

I'll go back to designing levels while listening to some JJ mods. *chuckles*

Hare
Jan 24, 2003, 03:46 PM
Hmm... yeah, there may have been some info on layers on the ol' noogmeister forum.

Radium
Jan 24, 2003, 03:51 PM
<s>Real life, what's that?</s>
I didn't mean that you make bad games, sry if you took that wrong...

Well, I'm off to teach small kids how to use matches and knives, seeya =P.

DoubleGJ
Jan 25, 2003, 03:27 AM
21? Well, then we're OK. <strike>I didn't thought someone like oyu plays JJ2</strike> I'm 13, and I do what I can to make Devil Dash BLAST all of you. Soon I'll write a thread about some Devil Dash features, and now I'll tell only one: a total of over 70 levels will be given within episode 1!

Black Ninja
Jan 26, 2003, 09:16 PM
i can help! i've got adobe photoshop 7.0, if i ever decide to install it.

Fawriel
Jan 27, 2003, 09:09 AM
Yay for tutorials!:D
And YAY for mental disability!=B

BlazinDragon
Jan 28, 2003, 09:42 AM
hey this is really cool!

can i have it for free?

:D

DoubleGJ
Feb 1, 2003, 01:12 AM
NO you won't. You'll have to pray to The Great Emu for 5 months.

Djaser
Feb 1, 2003, 10:27 AM
I've never seen a finished 3D fangame. I hope this one will be finishede or even release a demo.

BlazinDragon
Feb 1, 2003, 04:45 PM
haha, i know what ur signature says!!! hahaha

"Djaser a nation claimed neuter but, in the reality, it is not it for it does not stop being invaded by the an and saved by the others. Djaser normally is governed by a (féodalité)"

Thats nice ;P

Credits to www.babblefish.com

ßúññ¥€lmérTbtCC
Feb 1, 2003, 10:51 PM
Does anyone want to help on this project? I'd like some help from artists, modelers, and level designers. It would make the project go along faster.

Sure i kan but i never used 3D studio max 4, the Jj3 Demo, ( wich i have ) was maded with UT ( Unreal Tournament ) files, And i can make levels, ( no models/skins yet )

Djaser
Feb 1, 2003, 11:41 PM
haha, i know what ur signature says!!! hahaha

Cool, I didn't until other people translated. I just took it of a French site:p .

Sun Fun Dude
Feb 7, 2003, 11:12 PM
Looks very cool can't wait for it. And JSZ I think Sonic VS Jazz will be cool don't worry :-)

Hare
Feb 8, 2003, 02:23 AM
Sorry I haven't been around, I've had a lot of stress lately from my new room mates. The Jazz 3D fangame project is oh haiatus. I have it safe withing my mom's computer and backed up to CD, so after I get moved to a different appartment and get a computer of my own, it is a hi ho hi ho back to work I go on the project ;). Oh, and I noticed some of the posts you guys made. You guys are nuts, you know. *snicker* Oh, and I'll have you know 21 is not too old to play jazz. I've been a fan since my teenage years :). (Medivo was one of my favorite levels, loved that monk singing in the background. I'd just sit there and not press anything to hear the music to that one)... 25 MHz... My bob, I actuall liked having a 25 MHz PC. windows 3.11... oh yeah... I think I had to press F5 at the computer startup just to play the game. (that way it bypasses loading the computer setup... we only had 4 MB of ram..... yeah, I'm going to be telling my kids and grandkids this story when I have them :P... that and the golden age of shareware. Good times. :)

Lately I have been doing concept art for my big game ideas (the ones I can make money off of... yes, the fangame will be free, and available to all. If I sell it, Epic would be on my *cough* buttox faster than Spaz on the Dopefish with a happy little lawsuit. I never studdied law, though, (I really should) so I'm not sure about the details.

Vulpine's Edge concept art
http://purrhead.tripod.com/ghostblade/vulpinesedgehero.jpg
this picture is from the third game in a series of games I have planned... I really should plan on the first one more before I start dreaming up sequels.

http://purrhead.tripod.com/ghostblade/beastylv40_001.jpg
I decided to make my besty character able to evolve upon leveling up... Er... I don't think Pikachu ever evolved into something like this :P
http://purrhead.tripod.com/ghostblade/beastyevogray.jpg

http://purrhead.tripod.com/ghostblade/vulpinesedgeherobw.jpg
this one is a great picture that didn't turn out right (I didnt' draw her torso shape before I drew the clothes so... well... it doesn't look right now... the coat ... thing is too short, so her torso is too short, then it flares out to her legs too soon, and then the skirt doesnt' look right... but her face looks great :P.

There's another picture, but I messed up on that one too and it ended up something I wouldn't show to children. I didn't really notice until my friend made a comment about it. Its a nice picture, too, it is just one part that makes the parental rating go up. It is a dancing scene ^.^ ... I wish I knew how to draw dancing... I tried in that scene but I guess I just can't grasp the concept in my mind well.

Anyways, I'll be moving into a new apartment next month, and then I'll be getting a computer of my own, internet access, then I'll get back to you guys on the project, who can do what part of it, and stuff like that. Lots of stressfull stuff going on right now, and I don't have access to a computer in the house (I'm on my mom's computer right now :P). Sorry things have kind of halted (temporarily) right here. Haha, hard to believe I'm actually making my own 3D Jazz Game. It would be great to see how it turns out :).

Radium
Feb 8, 2003, 06:43 AM
I'm not sure about this, but I think the character's waist looks a little too long on the Vulpine's Edge picture.

Hare
Feb 8, 2003, 06:40 PM
Heres a little screenshot. I took a little time working on this pool in the level, and was surprised to find an effect turned out better than I expected... Yeah, I only look like I know what I'm doing ;).

http://groups.msn.com/purrhead/screenshots.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=148

You don't have to cut and paste this one (I hate cutting and pasting links)

BTW I made a new diamondus wall texture.... still needs some editing to make it seamless.

*update* I added more screen shots to that page, located in the same section of the portfolio.

I'll stop throwing screenshots around and get to work, besides, if I show every detail of the game to you, you won't have any surprises ^.^

DoubleGJ
Feb 9, 2003, 06:28 AM
I'll stop throwing screenshots around and get to work, besides, if I show every detail of the game to you, you won't have any surprises ^.^

That's the reason I've stopped hosting Devil Dash levels. :D

Hare
Feb 9, 2003, 04:09 PM
Just another screen shot... I stumbled upon this glowing water effect... and now I don't know how I did it. I can change the glow of the water that already has that effect... but... how do I remake it to make other pools of water like this? I'm not sure, but perhaps I'll find out with some searching.

http://groups.msn.com/purrhead/screenshots.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=154

BlazinDragon
Feb 9, 2003, 05:03 PM
cool

DoubleGJ
Feb 10, 2003, 12:12 AM
Look at Jazz's image on this screen. :eek:

Hare
Feb 11, 2003, 07:07 PM
After much thinking I've decided I'm old enough to know better than to blatantly breach international copyright laws. I don't want to do anything that will cause me to be fined or anything. So, with a flick of a mouse pointer, Ta Da! It isn't a Jazz Jackrabbit game anymore, and I am no longer in any danger of being taken to court.

Sorry about getting you excited just to let you down. I'm continuing the project with an original character, and different storyline.

Here's some art of the new character. I dont' think this would really be Jazz related anymore now, but I want Jazzer X to have kind of a Jazz Jackrabbit feel to it.

http://groups.msn.com/purrhead/screenshots.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=156

... oh, and yes... the jazz jackrabbit face in the redwater.jpg picture is... *cough* buggy. Look! A three headed monkey!

Hare
Feb 11, 2003, 07:13 PM
The story behind the collar JX wears, is that I got this idea that it might be interesting if he was someone's pet.

Sun Fun Dude
Feb 11, 2003, 08:00 PM
WHat are you talking about? Its just a fan game! Heaps and heaps of fangames have been made and absoultly no court or anything! I beg please change it back to Jazz please you won't get in trouble as long as you don't sell it! Please, please, please please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,

Hare
Feb 11, 2003, 08:27 PM
So you are saying you hate my skunk? *cries* j/k

Hmm.... yeah.... fangames... no action taken...

I'm just afraid that if I make a fangame that actually looks good, it might get Epic's attention....

I'm taking into consideration that the worst case I've heard of in this situation is the company making the person to stop their work... but... hmm... I really don't want to get into a legal battle. Have you ever read the liscensing agreements they make you agree to when you buy a game? That is why I didn't use any original graphics from Jazz Jackrabbit 2.... I'll leave it to this: I'm going to write to epic for permission to make a fangame. Their response is the final say in the argument.

Radium
Feb 12, 2003, 04:54 AM
The story behind the collar JX wears, is that I got this idea that it might be interesting if he was someone's pet.
A pet skunk... yipee, always wanted one of those.

DoubleGJ
Feb 12, 2003, 11:27 AM
So you think I'll go ask Epic and Sega can I make JVS? Look, were only making fangames. As long as their freeware, big companies don't really care, because we don't use their engine and only a bit (and maybe you don't use any) of their graphics. Besides, this may also be in their interest, as the people who like our games haven't seen Jazz before and they'll buy it.

JanusJackrabbit
Feb 12, 2003, 05:59 PM
I don't think it really matters unless you make more money on this than the original Jazz.:D

Txl Kill
Feb 18, 2003, 08:53 PM
Yo Hare check my PM I sent you. I could help you with the hole game :-) and supply you with the Pro connections.

Radium
Feb 19, 2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Txl Kill
Yo Hare check my PM I sent you. I could help you with the hole game
I think he'd rather get help bye someone hoo can spell "whole".

Txl Kill
Feb 19, 2003, 06:17 AM
didnt spell it wrong the keyboard just didnt register the W key

Hare
Feb 19, 2003, 08:33 PM
Ok, I got the reply...
--------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure I understand the question.

1. Are you going to make a mod to the JJ2 game that includes the JJ
character?

2. Do you want to make a new game that uses the JJ character for your
personal enjoyment only?

3. Do you want to make a new game that uses the JJ character for
distribution (free or otherwise)?

1 & 2 are no problem. Have at it and enjoy.

3. Is a big problem. The minute you release something that makes use of
our trademarked and/or copyrighted material (even if it is free) you are
infringing on our rights. We, by law, are forced to take action. It
just gets plain nasty at that point.

Regards,

Jay Wilbur
Epic Games
---------------------------------------------------------

So, I'm just going to continue the project with the new character, and storyline. Sorry that I spoke too soon about making a Jazz Jackrabbit game. I made a bit of art before I got the answer, I know just a bit of fan art won't get Epic's goat ;). Makes a nice desktop wallpaper.

http://purrhead.tripod.com/jazz3d/jazzcontinue.jpg

Hare
Feb 19, 2003, 08:45 PM
I'm already at work writing up the design document of the new material.

The high concept goes like this: A humorous Sci-Fi furry fantasy with classical gameplay. A little skunk takes on an evil organization.

The Genre will be a 3D/Platform/Shooter. first person or third person are optional.

Hare
Feb 19, 2003, 10:20 PM
I think it would be interesting for the Jazzer X character to have bad luck all the time, could make for some interesting gameplay. Not the kind of bad luck where a player ends up finding themselves getting hit by falling trees, or slpping from a ledge, without warning... that would just be annoying as teletubbies. I mean, perhaps climbing halfway up a hill and all the sudden there is some sort of rock slide that makes them have to run like mad, then take a new alternate path to the end. Or dropping down a chute into a nest of sleeping enemies. That kind of stuff.

Radium
Feb 20, 2003, 05:03 AM
I'm pretty sure you can make a game using a character if it's free, but I'm too lazy to go look up copyright laws. Actually, when you think about it, using a character in a game is just as ilegal as fanart. I mean, what's the difference between drawing a picture of Jazz and putting Jazz in a free game?

Violet CLM
Feb 20, 2003, 01:46 PM
3. Is a big problem. The minute you release something that makes use of
our trademarked and/or copyrighted material (even if it is free) you are
infringing on our rights. We, by law, are forced to take action. It
just gets plain nasty at that point.

So what this is saying is that fangames are completely illegal, right?

Radium
Feb 20, 2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Unknown Rabbit
So what this is saying is that fangames are completely illegal, right?
I have this JJ fangame that says it was made by VioletCLM. I guess you can kiss your soul goodbye now.

Hare
Feb 20, 2003, 02:03 PM
I believe this game will be good, it just won't be a Jazz Jackrabbit game. I'm not about to get into a legal battle.

Radium
Feb 20, 2003, 02:07 PM
Me, Violet, and Et have all made Jazz fangames, and Epic didn't care. Refering back to my example using fanart, what's the difference between drawing a character and putting it in a game?

Newspaz
Feb 20, 2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Radium
Me, Violet, and Et have all made Jazz fangames, and Epic didn't care. Refering back to my example using fanart, what's the difference between drawing a character and putting it in a game?

That's just because they didn't know.

Radium
Feb 20, 2003, 02:40 PM
Even in the War Tavern, people write stories using Jazz. It's just as legal as making a game!

Hare
Feb 20, 2003, 02:59 PM
I've already decided for myself that I believe it is not the right thing to do for me to distribute a fangame, you may choose to believe as you will, I'm just saying that you won't be changing my mind.

Radium
Feb 20, 2003, 03:07 PM
As a side note, if this dosn't have to do with Jazz anymore it should probably be moved to Misc.

Hare
Feb 20, 2003, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I'll make a new thread in the MISC. forum later, when I get online again. Perhaps I can have the design of the new game more detailed out by that time.

DoubleGJ
Feb 21, 2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Radium

I am even worse, because I make a fangame of 2 games! I am cursed from now!!!

Txl Kill
Feb 21, 2003, 07:08 AM
You dont understand epic will not care about these little underground games that are really not very big right now. But if PHS releases a Full 3D Jazz game everyone will want it, this will get the attention of epic and bad things will happen :-)

Hare
Feb 23, 2003, 12:56 AM
Finally, someone understands. That is true, that is why I am so concerned about this. The thing is, that I'm trying to make the game as good as something you'd buy in stores. I expect the quality to end up as good as something you'd pay for about five years ago, like a N64 game. It would have stood out among the other freeware games like a sore thumb. In this case, that is not a good thing. Definately something I don't want Epic to take notice of.

Radium
Feb 23, 2003, 03:09 PM
Heh, I just noticed that if I spell Jazz "Jaz" in my fangame, it's perfectly legal.

*Yay for loopholes in laws!*

Hare
Feb 25, 2003, 08:30 PM
heh ^_^