PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with JJ3, release or not?

Cyan_Blizzard
Mar 28, 2003, 10:21 PM
I've been hearing rumors for years now, First Epic was gonna do it, then not, then they were again, now not. can someone fill me in on the latest info on the jj3 situtation, because I AM CLUELESS!!!*and can't spell*

MaGoo
Mar 29, 2003, 03:42 AM
Well, you have an excuse so I won't flame you to death. No, JJ3 never has and never will come out. Although if you need it that bad, some people have the beta demo. It's really not worth the trouble, though. Save yourself the disappointment.

ElectroPiZZa
Mar 29, 2003, 08:41 AM
Jazz Jackrabbit 3 is a cancelled project.

However, this doesn't mean there will never be some sort of follow-up. In some of CliffyB's recent posts in this forum, it sounded like he was considering something, though the chances, still, are very slim.

Trafton
Mar 29, 2003, 10:29 AM
ClifferyB always sounds as if he is considering something secret. ;-P

Jazz 3, as PiZ said, is a cancelled project. He did sort of hint at something, but with Cliffy, it's hard to tell whether he was actually hinting to anything or not. I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed.

Tubz
Mar 29, 2003, 12:10 PM
Some of you need to stop worshipping Unreal or any Unreal games if you expect a JJ sequel. That's Epics top project right now.

Violet CLM
Mar 29, 2003, 12:12 PM
Most everything on this subject has already been said, so..
The JJ3 demo is illegal to distribute. Do not accept it from anyone, and do your best to report anyone who tries to send it to you.

DanX
Mar 29, 2003, 12:22 PM
And I bet you have it :rolleyes:

nevermind... :P

Daniel.

KRSplat
Mar 29, 2003, 12:55 PM
JJ3 was started, then cancelled because they were making it without pay and were using the Unreal engine.

Jazz Jackrabbit Advance, a game for the Game Boy Advance, is kind of like a sequel. It is not really as good as the other games, but it is better than nothing. Best of all, it shows that there is still interest in Jazz Jackrabbit games and more might come in the future.

Asking for the JJ3 demo is illegal. It was never released, and is warez. It will just get this thread closed.

DoubleGJ
Mar 30, 2003, 10:38 AM
But you know what? There is a chance. I have just read in best Polish PC-magazine, CD-Action, that Epic has created from some of it's members a group named Scion Software. They have to do for Epic 2 and a half (?) games, after that they will become independent. Maybe one of them is a new Jazz?

DanX
Mar 30, 2003, 12:12 PM
CD-Action the best? Sheesh I've seen much better...

a little off-topic but I couldn't resist...

Daniel.

ElectroPiZZa
Mar 30, 2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by JSZ Jazz
But you know what? There is a chance. I have just read in best Polish PC-magazine, CD-Action, that Epic has created from some of it's members a group named Scion Software. They have to do for Epic 2 and a half (?) games, after that they will become independent. Maybe one of them is a new Jazz?

Very little is known about Scion Studios other than that they are working on "projects", but it's highely unlikely that any of them are Jazz-related. The only thing they've come out with so far is a CTF map in the Epic Bonus pack for UT2K3.

Hare
Mar 30, 2003, 11:30 PM
What? I can't buy Unreal II? Haha! Try and stop me!

I'm not going to quit buying Unreal games because I think they are good stuff (I'm not going to buy UT games though). Look, although Epic has seemed to be a one game company for some time, they ARE comming out with One Must Fall: Battlegrounds this month. They will be making other stuff, right? As long as Unreal games are fun, I'm going to buy them, and so is everyone else. If a few Jazz Jackrabbit players don't buy Unreal II, what does it matter? Epic is still going to make lots of money from it.

I'm not sure what the answer to this problem is, but I know that if another Jazz game is made, then I will buy it. That will be my vote and voice to Epic that they should make more Jazz stuff. I also sent a thank you letter for all the good stuff Epic has provided over the years, I really like their games, and sure, I mentioned Jazz Jackrabbit.

DoubleGJ
Mar 31, 2003, 05:49 AM
Well, from what I've seen, read and heard, Unreal II is probably the worst Unreal around. Maybe that gives us, Jazzers, a chance?

Stijn
Mar 31, 2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Unknown Rabbit
The JJ3 demo is illegal to distribute. Do not accept it from anyone, and do your best to report anyone who tries to send it to you.

And what will you do when someone reports it? Sue the one who sent it?

Violet CLM
Mar 31, 2003, 02:30 PM
Reporting it to me would do little good, as I do not have the legal powers to do anything about it. However, I believe there are various police forces in the world.

MaGoo
Mar 31, 2003, 03:30 PM
Distribution is nothing new. The police have better things to do, I'm sure... Then again, I doubt it.

Tik
Apr 1, 2003, 05:51 AM
A Jazz3 is unlikely any time soon. Lets fact it, there isn't a lot of market for a green bunny with a gun. Most people are obsessed with blood and realism. Call me crazy, but the reason I play games is to get away from realism.

And yeah, the Jazz3 demo is illegal to distribute, but no one really cares. Er, I mean, illegal things are illegal, so don't do them.

Fawriel
Apr 1, 2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Spaztic
Call me crazy, but the reason I play games is to get away from realism.
*now officially calls Spaztic his third brother*:p

The Trasher
Apr 1, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Unknown Rabbit
Reporting it to me would do little good, as I do not have the legal powers to do anything about it. However, I believe there are various police forces in the world. "Oh Nos Mr. Plod! The bad man's distributing teh Jazz3 bateas!"

What's the sound effects like in that beta anyway?

DoubleGJ
Apr 4, 2003, 03:58 AM
Woosh! Bounce! Bang bang bang! Ow!

I suppose it's something like that. ;)

Krezack
Apr 10, 2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by JJ Tublear
Some of you need to stop worshipping Unreal or any Unreal games if you expect a JJ sequel. That's Epics top project right now.

No, if you support Unreal, there is more of a chance of them making a JJ game, actually. Why? Because if they get more money, they will be more likely to take a gamble with a potential flop.

defalcon
Apr 10, 2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Krezack
No, if you support Unreal, there is more of a chance of them making a JJ game, actually. Why? Because if they get more money, they will be more likely to take a gamble with a potential flop.
Plus you know, I want the new JJ game to use the new Unreal tech, same way the JJ3 pre-alpha used the UT engine.

Stijn
Apr 11, 2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by MR MAGOO
The police have better things to do, I'm sure... Then again, I doubt it.

I think that's true :P

Cesar
Apr 13, 2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by JSZ Jazz
Well, from what I've seen, read and heard, Unreal II is probably the worst Unreal around.
Well that's Legend Entertainment's fault, not Epic. :D Legend made the levels, stories and stuff under Epic's eyes.

Originally posted by defalcon
Plus you know, I want the new JJ game to use the new Unreal tech, same way the JJ3 pre-alpha used the UT engine.
The latest Unreal engine requires more CPU power (than what JJ3/UT had), and tends to lag on low/mid-end systems (especially Unreal2's ragdoll physics). If the next JJ3 is a fast-paced game, I hope the engine would be as smooth as Unreal/UT, or at least have customizable settings.

defalcon
Apr 13, 2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Cesar
The latest Unreal engine requires more CPU power (than what JJ3/UT had), and tends to lag on low/mid-end systems (especially Unreal2's ragdoll physics). If the next JJ3 is a fast-paced game, I hope the engine would be as smooth as Unreal/UT, or at least have customizable settings.
Tch tch. Learn your stuff, matey. ;)
Of COURSE it requires more CPU power, but if it's 3D, it WILL be using the latest Unreal Tech, because I doubt Cliffy is going to use an old build of the Unreal engine for a new generation game. The UT2K3 engine is immensely scaleable - I know some people who've managed to get it running on PII-400's with TNT2's (albeit it doesn't look too good, but it's playable), and besides - Cliffy loves his graphics.

If you have a good computer then most/all Unreal-tech games will run smoothly. I run a P4 1.7Ghz with a Geforce3Ti200 - modest by today's standards, and I run UT2K3 with <50fps average. If you have UT2K3, you know how well it can run.

Also, Unreal 2 doesn't have ragdoll physics - that's UT2K3's "Karma" physics engine, U2 has it's own physics engine, to my knowledge.

DoubleGJ
Apr 13, 2003, 11:57 PM
I managed to play UT2K3 on my father's laptop on lowest settings smoothly. Demo, I mean.

Hare
Apr 14, 2003, 01:53 AM
If Jazz 3 uses the Unreal 2 technology, it wouldn't phaze me becaue of the high end system I ordered, but I do hope it would run on some lower end computers as well, becuase I hope that all the jazzers would be able to play it, or most Jazzers. I've got friends I want to challenge in 3D. Yeah that means you, MidN (A.K.A. Chimaera)! It is on! Get your can opener handy because I'm gonna open up a ... heh, yeah, just good wholesome healthy competition.

*Hare thinks to himself, "Maybe I could actually beat her in the next Jazz"*

defalcon
Apr 14, 2003, 05:00 AM
It wouldn't use the Unreal 2 engine. It'd use the UT2K3 build of the engine; they ARE different in multiple aspects. Different physics system, particle engine etc. The UT2K3 one runs better than the U2 one.

Cesar
Apr 14, 2003, 07:35 AM
To me, framerate is everything, although unoptimized custom user maps for UT2k3 tends to be framerate hogs due to certain design of levels, which makes aiming uesless. CTF-NoMansLand anyone? :D

Originally posted by defalcon
Also, Unreal 2 doesn't have ragdoll physics - that's UT2K3's "Karma" physics engine, U2 has it's own physics engine, to my knowledge.
That's interesting to know. That might have explained why the ragdoll effects is such a framerate hog in U2. :D