PDA

View Full Version : JJ3 may not die...

Xion
Apr 2, 2003, 09:13 AM
Look at this (http://mpogd.com/news/?ID=585) news post on MPOGD. We could use the Duke3D or RotT engine source to create Jazz3!

May not be much, but an idea.

Newspaz
Apr 2, 2003, 10:44 AM
We don't have the character rights to Jazz.

Trafton
Apr 2, 2003, 01:08 PM
*Copy, paste*

We do not legally have the character liscences to Jazz, Spaz, etcetera. Therefore, if we were to do such a thing, it would open us to a dynamic and fascinating world of lawsuits.

Iam Canadian
Apr 2, 2003, 03:18 PM
In theory, we COULD make JJ3 if we distributed it free. (Like for download.) I mean, look at all the fangames. Nobody complains about them being illegal, and if we made JJ3, it would be just be another fangame.

Trafton
Apr 2, 2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Iam Canadian
In theory, we COULD make JJ3 if we distributed it free. (Like for download.) I mean, look at all the fangames. Nobody complains about them being illegal, and if we made JJ3, it would be just be another fangame.
No, not at all. Fangames would attract very little attention from Epic, while a full-fledged game based on the Unreal engine would.

Shiverz CC
Apr 3, 2003, 07:43 AM
A JJ3 Fangame would be a good idea. But you would have to get people to visit your site whereas distributing it in the shops would attract more people. But anyways if the Duke 3d source code has been allowed out it may not be long before a Jazz one comes out.

Trafton
Apr 3, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Shiverz CC
A JJ3 Fangame would be a good idea. But you would have to get people to visit your site whereas distributing it in the shops would attract more people. But anyways if the Duke 3d source code has been allowed out it may not be long before a Jazz one comes out.
No, no, no. That's just as illegal.

DoubleGJ
Apr 18, 2003, 11:25 AM
Why everybody says that 2D fangames are legal, and 3D ones not?!

Trafton
Apr 18, 2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by JSZ Jazz
Why everybody says that 2D fangames are legal, and 3D ones not?!
2D fangames are sort of in the uncertain category. Most companies do not mind. However, a major entire game would indeed attract attention. And attention is not wanted in this case.

Cesar
Apr 18, 2003, 01:00 PM
Sorry to be off-topic, but at least people will be able to make Windows version of Duke3D (with 3D acceleration). :D

The way the DOS version of the game initialize my sound card is rather buggy (though other DOS games works fine).

XAYo HR
Apr 19, 2003, 05:01 AM
a fan game?
Nice idea http://home.attmil.ne.jp/a/ocasio/images/mgw%68ore-l.gif

DoubleGJ
Apr 22, 2003, 10:09 AM
Has anybody heard of Sonic Robo Blast 2? It's a Sonic fangame... 3D one, in Doom engine. And it's quite similar to Duke one, thought the second one is more interactive.

Anaiyu
Apr 22, 2003, 04:26 PM
Interesting debate. Quickie Question for JSZ: How did those people that made the 3D Sonic fan game pull that off? Did they have the character rights to Sonic, etc.? Did they do it illegally? many questions to be answered. I'll stop there. ;)

What if we were to get "permission" from Epic or one of those special people? Get in writing or something... ((Lame idea, I know, but putting JJ3 back into business sounds cool)) Could that work, MooCow?

psyrabber
Apr 24, 2003, 09:39 AM
sorry being off-topic but i thought there already was a jj3d thingy only, never finished.....
there is a demo around? who can give it meh...

And btw...i dun know much of these law thingies but wouldn't it be ovoious to ask Epic if some pple are allowed to make a 'jj3 fan game' and distribute it?

$tilettø
Apr 24, 2003, 09:44 AM
PSY: Yeah there is a JJ3 Demo arround only its illegal to have it,
also your not allowed to ask for it i think :P and you wont get it anyway

/unless you have connections =/

psyrabber
Apr 24, 2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by $tilettø
PSY: Yeah there is a JJ3 Demo arround only its illegal to have it,
also your not allowed to ask for it i think :P and you wont get it anyway

/unless you have connections =/

*is working on these connections since i am playing jj2 and espacially since i got mirc

DoubleGJ
Apr 25, 2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Anaiyu
Interesting debate. Quickie Question for JSZ: How did those people that made the 3D Sonic fan game pull that off? Did they have the character rights to Sonic, etc.? Did they do it illegally? many questions to be answered. I'll stop there. ;)

For Sega it's just another fangame. They don't need any rights, permissions, etc. as long as they make it freeware. Check at www.srb2.org

Shiverz CC
Apr 25, 2003, 07:56 AM
Theres been many Sonic Fan Games and people have made sprites and stuff its all on this site ...

http://sfghq.emulationzone.org/

G@vie
May 16, 2003, 10:06 AM
This is leading to nothing, 3D Realms has still copyright of the dukenukem 3d engine, Copyright from epic is needed to make a jazz game with the engine. It's just or illigal, or nothing.:confused:

Shiverz CC
May 16, 2003, 10:10 AM
3D fan games cant be illegal btw because at www.clickteam.com there is a program called Jamagic and thats for 3D fangames and if 3D sonic fan games can be made why not a Jazz one

DoubleGJ
May 17, 2003, 03:48 AM
Maybe because Sega has more cash and actually cares a lot more about Sonic than Epic about Jazz.

G@vie
May 18, 2003, 04:33 AM
3D fan games cant be illegal btw because at www.clickteam.com there is a program called Jamagic and thats for 3D fangames and if 3D sonic fan games can be made why not a Jazz one

Sounds cool :D

Anybody going to take action? ::roll:

Radium
May 18, 2003, 05:59 AM
Just because something <i>can</i> be done, doesn't mean it's legal.

Trafton
May 18, 2003, 11:21 AM
Just because something is done does not make it legal. Some companies are more fangame-friendly; others not so much. While the law more or less says fan games are not legal, some companies do not mind them.

~ Traft

RockyR
May 26, 2003, 07:33 AM
The reason it couldn't really be done is not legal, but because there isn't enough motivation. "Possum" isn't done yet (not like it matters, etc), but that's been going for a while. We in general would be so much less motivated to try and make another real "good", possibly maybe an "iffy" jazz game :)

Sciz CT
May 26, 2003, 07:39 AM
The real problem with a full-scale fangame is that the chances of it ever getting finished are smaller than this text. Eventually, some member of the team will leave, hardware conflicts will show up, team members will be late in delivering their work, and all the while, people will be pounding away asking when it's gonna be released. If you can somehow sidestep all of those and the many more problems, go for it.

G@vie
May 26, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Scizor CT
The real problem with a full-scale fangame is that the chances of it ever getting finished are smaller than this text. Eventually, some member of the team will leave, hardware conflicts will show up, team members will be late in delivering their work, and all the while, people will be pounding away asking when it's gonna be released. If you can somehow sidestep all of those and the many more problems, go for it.

I agree you are right, maybe the chance it will be finished is very small, but we can't just sit on our (coin eaters) and do nothing can we?:roll:

Derby: Content replacement.

Sciz CT
May 26, 2003, 01:31 PM
Hey, if you really think that you can get enough talented, dedicated people together to pull this off, go for it. I'm just taking the view of the pessimist here. I'm not trying to stop you from giving it a shot, but I've seen things like this crop up before. And they've never been finished.

Tobi
May 30, 2003, 04:04 AM
ehm, have anyone News about JJ3?

G@vie
May 31, 2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Tobi
ehm, have anyone News about JJ3?

News?? The project is dead isn't it, J2C says so:
http://www.jazz2online.com/~j3f/

G@vie
May 31, 2003, 05:54 AM
Uh-oh I ment J2O ofcourse :p

Shiverz CC
Jun 3, 2003, 10:16 AM
A 3D fangame of Jazz would be really good and if it had internet play when people get sick of Jazz why dont they move to JJ3TFG (Jazz Jackrabbit 3 The Fan Game).

It would be fun but who would make it and it would take long wouldnt it :( But it would be worth it in the end ! I dunno how to make 3D fan games but I'd have a try at it if I had the right program. Something like the games factory just made so it creates 3D and is easy to use :)

It may also attract other people if it had internet play juts put it on one of those sites that you upload loads of fan games to !

But would it turn out something like this or abit more simplified
http://www.jazz2online.com/~j3f/Shot0009-sm.jpg

Hare
Jun 4, 2003, 11:30 PM
You guys are acting like JJ3 will never come. With all the hints lately, don't you guys think they mean something? They certainly aren't there for nothing.

As for asking for permission, I tried that, and the answer was along the lines of "You can make a fangame, sure, but if you provide it to other people we'll take legal action"

*sigh* Sucks. So I'm making a Jazz-like game, instead of a Jazz fangame. It is legal for me, just like making a sonic-like game was legal for Epic. ;)

DoubleGJ
Jun 5, 2003, 05:32 AM
Ah, so you mean you have a big game making company? LOL

Hare
Jun 5, 2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by JSZ Jazz
Ah, so you mean you have a big game making company? LOL

Well, er... ah, no.. HEY LOOK! A THREE HEADED MONKEY!

Shiverz CC
Jun 5, 2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Hare
HEY LOOK! A THREE HEADED MONKEY!

Where where !!!!! :rolleyes:

Stoned Gorilla
Jun 10, 2003, 06:33 PM
Bid for Power anyone? They were just a mod and they had to change ALL the characters to non-DBZ characters because the company making a dbz fighting game was scared of competition.

JmaN_FoR
Jun 10, 2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Trafton
*Copy, paste*

We do not legally have the character liscences to Jazz, Spaz, etcetera. Therefore, if we were to do such a thing, it would open us to a dynamic and fascinating world of lawsuits.

HoLLa.

Yeah Traft. THat would be really exciting. :)
Give my deepest Goodluck to you all. Try hard and make JJ3.

L8da.
PeacE EaZZiE

Hare
Jun 12, 2003, 06:04 AM
Uh... Jaman... Do you know what a lawsuit is? Or were you being sarcastic?

Sun Fun Dude
Jun 15, 2003, 12:03 AM
No I don't think he does. Shall we teach him?

Radium
Jun 15, 2003, 05:04 AM
Yes.

I claim page 2 in the name of Lawsuits.

KRSplat
Jun 16, 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by G@vie
News?? The project is dead isn't it, J2C says so:
http://www.jazz2online.com/~j3f/ This is simply info on a dead project created after the project was dead to answer some questions.

Anyway, sounds like sarcasm.

Stijn
Jun 22, 2003, 08:14 AM
Sarcasm?

G@vie
Jun 24, 2003, 02:41 AM
No no wasn't sarcasm indeed, I did'nt know about the new rumours when I wrote that :H

JSZ Mateusz
Jul 2, 2003, 08:09 AM
I will be in that topic subject. I had 3D Game Studio and once i made half of Spaz (Legs), but many frames weren't framed. And another thing was that i had formated my disk.

Now another talk in this topic: New Jazz JackRabbit should be in 3D. We could make one. Its just to simple. Anyway be can buy laws to Jazz, Spaz, and Lori. But who will pay and thats the problem.

Sorry for my bad english

Radium
Jul 2, 2003, 09:54 AM
Anyway be can buy laws to Jazz, Spaz, and Lori. But who will pay and thats the problem.
We could all donate money. But a worse problem would be who we would trust to collect it all.

Shiverz CC
Jul 3, 2003, 09:51 AM
I dont think many people would trust there money with some people would they so they would all have to know this person was good and kind hearted :roll: . It would make people :r to know that there money is being spent on something else }>