PDA

View Full Version : Downloads going nowhere

MaGoo
Jun 11, 2001, 03:36 AM
This has been going on for a while now. I have noticed that sometimes when I try to enter a level, it doesn't download!The download screen just sits there and does nothing. I first experienced this problem on The Battle Server. If anyone knows the cause or solution to this, help me out here!

F!re
Jun 11, 2001, 07:31 AM
I think it happens when the level has the same name as the .zip file

Aiko
Jun 11, 2001, 07:45 AM
And i think it has nothing to do with a ZiP file :-)

JelZe GoldRabbit
Jun 11, 2001, 08:25 AM
You got that right, Aiko. It's about custom levels in a server http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OK, maybe i can give a few hints what is going on:

1. Your connection is buggy.

2. Your cache is a bit full (i doubt that one. You should always empty your cache every once in a while. And why am i saying all this between brackets? (sp?))

3. I can't think up a number 3 http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bobby aka Dizzy
Jun 11, 2001, 01:01 PM
Hosting through Xjj2 will make this problem much worse.

Derby
Jun 11, 2001, 10:45 PM
Actually, the technical reasons related to undownloaded content when connecting has nothing to do with that, JelZe, though it is a good enough assumption to consider in any case. Here are the reason in order of occurrance.

1. The server you are connecting to missed a packet it tried to transfer when sending the server information. This occurs most often when the server is experiencing server-side laggy moments (i.e. 0 baud when many people are downloading and joining at the same time.)

2. The client's side is consistantly missing transmitted packets and is no longer sending packets of information to the provider. This is caused by peak times and service provider trips. This does not occur for high-end connections that aren't using dialup.

3. An error has disconnected the joining players pertaining to a serverlist's wavering. The latest error served on the serverlist can be easily found by telnetting the serverlist. This isn't too common as implied by the number of errors, but it is more prominent than most other reasons.

4. The server had shut down/restarted while you were downloading, and not connecting.

5. The serverlist had shutdown, which causes all the servers to collapse as a result and go solo on their own local list. Since the clients were routed through the serverlist and the connection disconnected from there, the clients must rejoin the locally represented server.

6. XJJ2 servers aren't very stable as JJ2 is being executed externally and many controllers are being skipped in activation as a result of external program execution. The server is prone to errors and disconnections because of this. Should you be hosting the default three gameplay modes, it is advised that you use JJ2 to do so.

7. Someone in the server is using an external program to entangle the server-wide program codes and use "laser shields". When laser shields are being used in a server (a rarity as the people who use them are rarely using them at all) they temporarily disable client connections half-way since the program is being infiltrated and the reaction of the program is filtering clients from getting a weak error naturally. On a side note, if Overlord's Anti-access Violation Patch works, you should apply it so you won't experience a long string of messages when they appear.

8. A strong firewall had somehow been activated <u>after</u> connection to the server. This is also a rarity.

That's all you may really watch out for (especially for dial-up users) aside from number eight, which is a very silly thing to think about. Whatever the case may be, there is no way to stop server-side/client-side problems as long as lag exists at all.

Newspaz
Jun 11, 2001, 11:26 PM
Or the server shutted down while downloading. I don't know if derby said that already, haven't had the time to read it all.

JelZe GoldRabbit
Jun 12, 2001, 08:16 AM
Yes, NS, he said that already http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Fquist_old
Jun 13, 2001, 08:15 AM
Wow.. a very intelligent response, derby. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I recommend that you do something with that knowledge.. make an article, for example.. *hint* *hint*

Derby
Jun 13, 2001, 01:10 PM
Why thanks, FQuist.

An article? J2O sounds pretty good for that, as the articles section dropped out of use some time ago. It probably won't revive the articles section, but it might be a little handy piece of information for those who are experiencing these problems.

Fquist_old
Jun 13, 2001, 01:56 PM
Although an articles section can't drop out of use(Content stays readable and usable), I know what you mean.. no new additions.. it's indeed kind of dead.

It would be a very interesting article and it would be a good addition to j2o.

Derby
Jun 13, 2001, 06:37 PM
Right. Rather, I meant the act of submitting new articles was no longer taking place, which would probably make more sense than what I stated before.

Thanks.

Aiko
Jun 14, 2001, 08:12 AM
I like the articles section a lot and will add a few articles (self-written ones and helpful extracts from other places, J2C for example) someday. Promised. (I only wish my english was better :-)

JelZe GoldRabbit
Jun 14, 2001, 01:30 PM
If you have problems with english i might want to help you, aiko http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

MaGoo
Jun 17, 2001, 09:48 AM
I pretty much fixed my problem. I deleted all of my levels on cache. Many mixed up and not completed files were in there.