PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Game Project

Onag
Apr 12, 2003, 10:30 PM
Alright, we need to get this open source game project moving forward. If you're interested, vote on a storyline. If you want to add your own, give it a number (so others can vote for it), working game title, and brief description.

Keep in mind that the storyline and everything will change. This poll is simply to decide on the general idea so we can move forward.

-Nag

Trafton
Apr 12, 2003, 10:42 PM
While I love the idea of an open-source gaming project, I can't say I'm so hot on some of these.

Mechaius - Too much of a generic MechWarrior-like storyline. Just not new.

Marshmallow - I need some more specifics on this one...how would they battle and such? There is a limit to the diversity of marshmellow creatures, unfortunately.

Sketch - I actually like this one a lot. It's cute and there's a good guy everyone can cheer for. I can see it turning into a really fun, cute cult game.

Hare
Apr 13, 2003, 03:17 AM
I vote for Mechaius, but I hope it isn't overly serious and/or depressing, like all the levels are made of rusty run down metal factories. I'd like it to be upbeat and have a happy mood... but not marshmallows. Perhaps a marshmallow bunny? :D I'm all for rabbits, and warm fuzzies in general.

n0
Apr 13, 2003, 05:22 AM
Mechaius all the way.

KRSplat
Apr 13, 2003, 05:37 AM
What about the whole nut thing..

Ice M A N
Apr 13, 2003, 07:08 AM
I'm voting for marshmallow. There's just so much nostalgia whenever I think of those marshmallows and nuts.. :) Granted, I intend on helping out wherever possible no matter which way this game goes.

Radium
Apr 13, 2003, 07:35 AM
Sk3tch all t3h way!

Fawriel
Apr 13, 2003, 07:46 AM
Sketch! Sounds artistic and cute!:D

The Mechaius stuff is too normal. The idea's worn out.

Radium
Apr 13, 2003, 07:52 AM
Aye, robots are widely overused. A pencil is fairly unique.

Fawriel
Apr 13, 2003, 07:57 AM
And can be used for thousands of slapstick-gags.:p
Good job for Batty!:D

Trafton
Apr 13, 2003, 09:36 AM
This is just an explaination of why I don't like the Mech one.

There are plenty of Mech games out there already by big developers like MicroSoft. While a mech game would be cool...it's just not original enough to get interest. A game like the pencil one would be a game that is definitely new and original and gamers could pick up on without declaring it "just another robot game." But, then again, making gameplay could be difficult. The robot one would probably be most easy to make into the open source format, as the person could edit weapons/robots and such. Still, I like the pencil one most.

Oh, and whenever I see "Sketch", for some reason, I think Skitch. ;-P

Alister
Apr 13, 2003, 03:58 PM
I'm opposed to the mech one for the same reason.
I think the marshmallow thing is quite fun. Marshmallows can bend all over the place, so you're free to do whatever you want with the character's movements.
I suspect that the pencil one was a joke shoved on the end, but it's not such a bad idea.

I'm divided between marshmallows and pencils. But hey, I've got my own project, so I wouldn't be contributing much.

Noogy
Apr 13, 2003, 09:52 PM
Hey Nag, I like the Sketch idea, that's pretty cool. Would make a great animated short ;)

FQuist
Apr 15, 2003, 04:28 AM
I'm undecided between the pencil and the marshmallow too. Really depends on how the pencil and it's world would look.

Tik
Apr 15, 2003, 02:00 PM
I am saying Marshmellow, cause it could be a lot of fun in a Worms2 sort of way. The Mech idea is just too overdone and bland. Sketch, I wouldn't mind. That sounds cool. But Marshmellows are my favorite.

n0
Apr 16, 2003, 10:52 PM
Marshmellows don't have enough color, and they are no longer made from the mellow of the Marshmellow plant, they are compleatly synsisized now. Or you could start the intro movie "Back when Marshmellow plants where made from the mellow of the marshmellow plant..."

`N0

Onag
Apr 17, 2003, 10:06 AM
Marshmallows don't need color. They're nummy!

Example -> <a href="http://www.homestarrunner.com/marshie.html">Meet Marshie!</a>

-Nag

Disguise
Apr 24, 2003, 07:09 PM
I'm voting for the mech thing. Sure it may be overused and somehting you've all seen before, but thats why its so great. We can all work on somehting we are familiar with, and with a project like this (with the slim chance of success that it has) that's a very good feature.
People still love the idea, even though it's been used so much.

As for the mallows and pencils, it sounds like a nice concept, but if it will work id an entirely different story. We're going to make a game about this, with a (hopefully) complex storyline the player can follow through to keep them hooked on the game. I dont see that happening with the other two designs.

Besides, drawing robots is cool ;)

You have my vote, and my cooperation no matter what this turns out to be, let's enjoy this ;)

n0
Apr 24, 2003, 08:49 PM
Yeah, and with the mech thing, you can play from both sides! I don't think i've ever seen a 2D platformer that you can play from both sides.

`N0

mikeejimbo
Apr 25, 2003, 05:49 AM
Marshmellows sound too weird for me. Why would a creature be made of marshmellow? Now if they were made of a rubber marshmellow-like substance, that might be more believable.

Excuse the spelling.

I read science fiction a bit too much.

Fawriel
Apr 25, 2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Disguise
Besides, drawing robots is cool ;)

No. I have to use my ruler for that. Plus most robots look the same.
Which wouldn't speak for the pencil, tho, since ALL pencils look the same... XP
But it could have interesting enemies.

Whattabout expanding the pencil story a little...

A world of art which is about to be erased. Or something. We could have full-color animation, different kinds of art in each country of the art planet, and in the end, you'll fight whatever with all animations in sketch form.... :p
Sounds interesting, no?

Wow... we could have an anime-hero, one of those American comic dude heros, one of Batty's comic dudes, a realistic person, a furry person...... the possibilities are endless...

This is a suggestion btw. Think about it! ^^
The idea got me thinking, if you give me a sign, I'll go think up more for it.

Tik
Apr 25, 2003, 09:54 AM
Or we could have the mechs made of pencils and marshmellows. Or the mechs could be powered by marshmellows...haha. That would be funny. A fluffy marshmellow controlling a mechanical bot of destruction. Quite ironic.

Fawriel
Apr 25, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Spaztic
Or we could have the mechs made of pencils and marshmellows. Or the mechs could be powered by marshmellows...haha. That would be funny. A fluffy marshmellow controlling a mechanical bot of destruction. Quite ironic.
Why? My plan to destroy the world uses a marhsmallow. Which I stole somewhere. The plan I mean. BUT IT WIL BE ABDAONWAER SOON!!1 =)

Hare
Apr 26, 2003, 07:36 AM
There was a game called Fido Ditto or something, that had a pencil drawing character in it... I think his weapon was drawing things with his pencil... I only remember it from a game review, but don't remember much. It was for the SNES.

Perhaps this can be used as a reference? LOL, but the game could really use some furries in it :). Remember? Jazz Jackrabbit style, right?

Fawriel
Apr 26, 2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Hare
There was a game called Fido Ditto or something, that had a pencil drawing character in it... I think his weapon was drawing things with his pencil... I only remember it from a game review, but don't remember much. It was for the SNES.

Perhaps this can be used as a reference? LOL, but the game could really use some furries in it :). Remember? Jazz Jackrabbit style, right?
I did mention furries! ;B
After all, I'm a furry artist. ^^

EDIT: No, wait, I thought you were referring to my suggestion. Oops.

Onag
Apr 28, 2003, 08:50 PM
Okay, people seem to want more information on the marshmallow and sketch ideas, so here are the original documents I wrote up several months ago (before I was even planning this open source thing). Have fun.

-Nag

<hr>
<b><big><big>Sketch: Red Inc</big>
Original Treatment
</big></b>

<b>Abstract</b>
Sketch is a #2 pencil who longs to be #1. As a #2 pencil, Sketch sits in a room all day and does nothing but take tests. By becoming #1, he’ll be able to fulfill his life-long dream of being an artist. Sketch is a 2D side-scrolling platformer with content aimed at younger children, but the gameplay will appeal to all ages. It will be developed for the PC and Game Cube systems.

<b>Storyline</b>
The game opens with a cinematic in which Sketch is a king of some sort, and everyone is cheering. Sketch, Sketch, Sketch! He has a crown labeled #1 placed on his head as the crowd gets softer and softer, and you start to hear a clear voice repeating, “Sketch!” The scene cuts to a classroom where Sketch is daydreaming and his teacher is trying to get his attention.

“Oh, I’m sorry Mrs. Pentel. I guess I was dreaming again.” “Not about that #1 nonsense, I hope?” … “Sketch, you’re a #2 pencil. The only thing a #2 pencil can do is,” “I know. Take tests.” Mrs. Pentel hands Sketch his test and he begins working as the scene fades to black.

The screen fades in again on Sketch. He’s out for a walk, obviously disappointed. Suddenly, a voice start’s calling out Sketch’s name, and we soon realize it’s Scribble, Sketch’s best friend. She’s out of breath, and says, “Sketch, come quick!” “Not right now, Scribble, I’m not in the mood.” “But Sketch, it’s the Evil Lord Sharpie! Someone has to stop him!” “What? Slow down. I don’t understand.” “The Evil Lord Sharpie. He’s here. He’s drawing monsters all over the place. Some of them are with permanent ink!”

We zoom in on Sketch and fade again to a daydream scene, where everyone is praising Sketch for defeating Lord Sharpie. “Sketch.” We’re pulled out of the daydream. “Well, come on.” “Oh, uh…right.”

We later learn that Lord Sharpie is the president of Red Inc, the company that makes all the tests in the world. Throughout the game, Sketch must overcome Lord Sharpie and all of his top executives, all of which are pencils, pens, crayons, markers, paint brushes, etc.

<b>Gameplay</b>
You play as Sketch, running and jumping through the various game worlds. Anything drawn in this world becomes real, so if Sketch needs something, all he has to do is draw it. The trick is, he has to know how to draw it first. As such, the player will be provided with a sketch book that contains several objects Sketch can draw. New drawings will be added to this book as the game progresses, and some drawings may be lost or stolen.

When Sketch comes up against enemies, which are always drawings, he must try to erase it. Of course, Sketch’s eraser runs out and he must collect new ones as he progresses. Likewise, he becomes dull and must collect pencil sharpeners to continue drawing things.

Some enemies cannot be erased, as they’re drawn with permanent ink. These enemies must simply be avoided.

<b>Characters</b>
Sketch is the only playable character, although other characters are very important to the story as well. Most significant is Sketch’s best friend, Scribble. She helps Sketch out in various ways throughout the game. Other characters include Mrs. Pentel, the Evil Lord Sharpie, Bristle, the Crayola Brothers, and Dr. Mysterious.

<b>Enemies</b>
All enemies are drawn into existence by a boss. These enemies must be erased, defeated by another drawing, or avoided.

<b>Environment</b>
The game will take place in many different settings, all of which are very childlike and imaginative in nature. The school yard where the game opens is the most concrete setting in the game. The worlds become more and more surreal as the game progresses.

<i>Copyright © 2003, Onag Entertainment</i>

<hr>
<b><big><big>Mechaius</big>
Original Treatment
</big></b>

<b>Abstract</b>
Mechaius is a side-scrolling platformer set on planet Mechaius in the same galaxy of the Jazz Jackrabbit series. It will focus greatly on storyline and character development, while still providing great gameplay and fast-paced action. The game is meant to cater to Jazz Jackrabbit fans, incorporating many of the non-copyrighted ideas. Mechaius should appeal to all ages.

<b>Storyline</b>
Planet Mechaius is filled with living machines.

<b>Gameplay</b>
Players will control a constantly changing team of machines throughout the game. Each machine will have unique abilities and weapons, and each can be upgraded in various ways. Levels will be very large maps, full of power-ups and opponents. Players will choose the path the game takes, as their actions in one level will affect the storyline and even the details of future levels.

<b>Characters</b>
Every character, whether good or bad, can be controlled either by a player or by AI scripts. This will make for much more interesting multiplayer games, and greater flexibility in custom levels than is available when only a few characters are playable. Each character will have a detailed background history as well as predefined personality traits. In addition to the dozens of included characters, players will be able to define their own using one of several included machine models. Players will be able to define attacks, weapons, and other information about each new character.

<b>Enemies</b>
Both baddies and bosses will be controlled by scripted AI. Enemies will be highly intelligent, making decisions based on their current position, condition, and situation. They will also be able to navigate levels more affectively, allowing them to chase after players or take cover when in trouble.

<b>Environment</b>
Mechaius is a large planet, allowing a broad range of rich environments. While most tilesets will depict buildings and the industrial side of Mechaius, it will also include outdoor settings.

<b>Internet Play</b>
There will be three types of internet servers: public, private, and closed. Public servers will allow any player to join at any time. A private server prevents uninvited players from joining. A closed server is one where all players join prior to the start of the game. Once all players have joined and settings have been selected, the host begins the game and no new players may join.

<b>Bots</b>
Multiplayer games will support scripted bots. The AI will follow general predefined behaviors coupled with scripted strategies to simulate formidable opponents. Bots will learn as they play, making them even more affective against human players. For example, even if a bot was not programmed with the location of a secret power-up, it will automatically learn the location if it sees that all other players know about it, or if it sees a nearby player get it. Players will be able to define the most common routes through levels that the bot uses, as well as general strategies it uses.

<b>Level Editor</b>
Players will be able to create their own levels with the included editor. Virtually every aspect of the game will be customizable via scripting. The editor will include features for creating any type of level as well as palettes, tilesets, music libraries, ambient sounds, custom events, etc.

<i>Copyright © 2003, Onag Entertainment</i>

Fawriel
Apr 29, 2003, 08:52 AM
Hmh, nice...but, eh... what about the story I came up with? ^^;

Violet CLM
Apr 29, 2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Onag
so here are the original documents I wrote up several months ago (before I was even planning this open source thing).

Fawriel
Apr 29, 2003, 12:05 PM
Yeah, but I sent him a PM telling him I came up with something...

Newspaz
Apr 29, 2003, 12:19 PM
I like the Sketch idea most.

Onag
Apr 30, 2003, 09:09 AM
It's not unusual for a PM to sit there for weeks before I notice it. I never use them, so I never check for them. Sorry. I'll go take a look at it now.

But regardless, those are still the original ideas. That's what people were wanting.

-Nag

G@vie
May 17, 2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Newspaz
I like the Sketch idea most.

Yeah, I voted sketch either

Hare
Jun 2, 2003, 01:27 AM
Hmm, I had a surprisingly good time while reading the sketch document. hehe, I like humor. I bet that one would really be an awesome game, expecially with that wonderful story.

I hate puzzle games though. I bought Klonoa: Land of Dreams, expecting it to be a fun platformer, but it turned out to be a puzzle/platformer, and I didn't like that much at all. I really wish I could have played Klonoa with his cool abilities to fight through a level, and not to use them to solve puzzles. BLECH! More action, and a just a littlle bit of puzzles on the side is what I like :).

Odin
Jan 10, 2004, 08:04 PM
Sketch is cool. It's sorta original, and not too silly. I could see this being a hit with younger kids, just as long as it gets a port to PlayStation2.

I'll try drawing sketch, maybe sketch him out first.(Pun intended)

Maybe sketch could have a charge attack, and he could find sharpeners for health!

-RoW