PDA

View Full Version : An idea

Tik
Jun 5, 2003, 07:27 AM
I've had an idea in the back of my mind for quite some time and I figured now was as good a time as ever to bring it up. I've been wanting to create a site whose purpose is soully to let people post up their own literary works...long stories in particular. The War Tavern is nice, but threads get buried, stories are forgotten, etc...this would provide a way to showcase your work and get opinions and never have your stories disappear.

The site would not be an open membership thing, it would probably be "exclusive" in the sense that you must have quality writing skills in order to submit stories for posting. I don't know if this would be insulting or just plain a bad idea but some feedback would be nice.

The subject matter of stories wouldn't be fan fiction for Jazz2 exclusively. No, not at all. It would be open to basically everything, with no content restrictions if the work is of quality.

Before I go further, I'd like to see if anyone is interest<b>ed</b>. Also, I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum, but I figure that I should target the visitors to this forum exclusively first =P

Edit: Feline face is the devil, Bobby.

Feline
Jun 5, 2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Spaztic
Before I go further, I'd like to see if anyone is interesting...

*raises his hand*

I'm interesting! =))))))

Tik
Jun 5, 2003, 09:09 AM
Yeah Velk I was planning on asking you about this next time we both were on IRC. I think people would be impressed with your literary work, but since it doesn't apply to Jazz2 it doesn't exactly fit here. I believe a lot of people's abilities when it comes to writing could expand out of the Jazz2 universe into a much larger and more interesting realm. That's why I hope this will get good feedback.

Right now I want opinions and whether or not you think this would attract attention from people and be a general success.

This place would be perfect for Jazz2 and non-Jazz2 related novels, short stories, and whatever. At least, that's the goal.

4I Falcon
Jun 5, 2003, 12:26 PM
This would be more than excellent for my upcoming grade 12 english class. We're looking for a good fanfiction site, and if I have this much of a head start on it, I'm that much more well off.

Even if it wasn't for my english class, I love the idea. All the stories from the JMMB, the JCFWT, and various others... all neatly filed in one place.

If you make it, they will come, S'tic. At least, I will.

KRSplat
Jun 5, 2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Agent Megumi
people don't really think much of my stories because I don't include JOINERS OMG LOL OMG LOL OMG LOL. So I just end up deleting them. ;-P I don't read your stories because they are too detailed and too descriptive. You have to have enough, but not too much. It can keep a reader from getting into the story and people won't read it then. I hope you take that as constructive criticism though.

Coppertop
Jun 5, 2003, 01:05 PM
Interested? YES!!!!!!!

Not that I'd lose my stories, I've got them on Wordpad on my computer ...

Tik
Jun 5, 2003, 05:56 PM
So far all feedback has been great. Here's what we've got so far:

- We already have webspace thanks to Disguise
- A name is needed for the project (<b>Suggestions, please</b>)

The site will consist of various genres. Inside the genres stories will be divided in alphabetical order by author. For each story, one page will consist (with links to each chapter within the page). This does not include sequels. Also in each story in the subsection will have the following: The story's title, when it was last updated, some very brief information about the story, the author of the story, and some warnings in case sensitive content is held within.

Content uploaded will be highly moderatored ONLY in the sense that we want quality works with understandable grammar, spelling, formatting, etc. Any and all ideas and content is allowed. Who the moderators are will be chosen at another time.

All of the sections aren't completely decided upon, yet. But here's what we're looking at so far:

Adventure
Fantasy/Sci Fi
Horror
Drama
Fan Fics
Comedy
Essays
Poetry and Songs

To submit a story, the author would e-mail or send some other type of message to an admin. Probably would be e-mailing the begining of the story. If it is of quality then it is posted. The author can submit more to the story by e-mailing the admin again.

You can not be writing more than 2 stories at any given point in time.

Commenting on stories is still in question because it would require some coding I cannot provide. Commenting on news items will be available, though, probably. I am also considering having a way to message authors on the site via e-mail or maybe AIM, ICQ. Maybe an authors bio page will be compiled.

Comments, suggestions? Give them. I don't want to make the site's graphics and layout, so it would be sweet if someone could volunteer to design that.

That's all I can think of right now. Yay, bye. Hope this is a success =)

4I Falcon
Jun 5, 2003, 06:18 PM
The Penner's Gallery
Big Fic City
Days Past
Ramblings of Various People who have Nothing Better to Do With Their Lives
Libraria Galaxica
War Stories
PenToGram
In Your Own Words
The Written Word

I could prolly think of a lot more some other time, but at the moment my parents are pestering me to get to bed soon. So I'll leave it at that.

Tik
Jun 6, 2003, 05:19 AM
Slayo came up with one suggestion yesterday: Ritopia. It's a combination of "writing" and "utopia". I think it sounds neat. The Penner's Gallary and PenToGram sound good too.

I also thought of Inscribed Oevres, or Magnum Opus. Though I suppose those aren't very catchy or anything. It could always just be something simple that doesn't necessarily apply writing. Calling it The War Tavern would be cool, but kind of like stealing in a sense =P

Tik
Jun 6, 2003, 08:55 AM
Eidolon's Scripture is good, I like that. I'd like some more feedback as far as a name goes, though.

Just to sort of want to expand upon what Velk said about it being open joiners, the way is will work is that submitting stories will be completely open to everyone; however what's actually added on to the site will be exclusive. If one draft of a story gets rejected, try sending in a revised one, and try to keep improving. The way you will know if a submission has been rejected is if, simply, it isn't added. No replies will be given to verify anything.

If a story you submit gets on the site, you'll have the small privilage of getting a Bio on the site as well.

Remember that entire stories need not be submitted at once. If the work is a continuing process you can send in submissions once a chapter or whatever is complete. Once you have a submission on the site, further additions to that submission will not be rejected (unless they, to put it bluntly, are thoroughly crappy).

KRSplat
Jun 6, 2003, 11:41 AM
Okay then. I was thinking you were just going to decide who gets in and who doesn't. :P

The Author's Paradise
Literary Wonder

Ducky
Jun 9, 2003, 01:39 PM
Hey, if I can do anything or whatever, I'd love to. I'm very interest[ing]ed in something like this, because I do a lot of non-Jazz-style writing that gets quite lenghty.

W00t. :)

Tik
Jun 10, 2003, 08:41 PM
Here are the two candidates for the site name:

Ritopia
Days Past

Please respond with a vote for either by the 12th. THX =))

Coppertop
Jun 11, 2003, 12:00 PM
I like the Days Past one ...

Nova
Jun 13, 2003, 11:33 AM
Awesome idea, Tick.
Aaand, I know it's kinda late, but... but Ritopia sounds rather nifty. ;D

*cackles*

The SlaYeR
Jun 13, 2003, 04:07 PM
Am i allowed to vote for Ritopia?

I vote for Ritopia.

$tilettø
Jun 13, 2003, 04:11 PM
Ritopia thats like the best option man

DarkShadow
Jun 13, 2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by SlaYo
Am i allowed to vote for Ritopia?

I vote for Ritopia. <s>Word.</s>

4I Falcon
Jun 13, 2003, 06:31 PM
I'll vote for Ritopia, as long as there is a chance that there is a W attached. i.e., Writopia. It just looks better that way, IMHO.

Tik
Jun 14, 2003, 01:35 PM
I know I'm quite late getting back to this, but the name is definetly going to be Ritopia (Sorry, no W =P).

As far as other site plans go, DarkShadow has contacted me with an interest in helping with site design. So it looks like over the next few weeks me, DS, and (perhaps) Velk will be collaborating to find a suitable design and everything. We also already have web space thanks to Disguise, so everything seems to be falling in to place :)

Over the next few weeks all I can ask from everyone else is to wait patiently, and also to try to prepare some compositions so that we can have some content up quickly. Also, it would be very much appreciated if you guys could get the word out about Ritopia when it finally comes out so that we can sort of build a cool little community. Thanks!

The SlaYeR
Jun 15, 2003, 04:01 AM
Ritopia it is. If you need any help, just ask me sexy.

Im currently working out the plot to my new story a bit. It will be exclusive to your site even though its a jj2 fanfic =D

I shall spread the word, i've already interested a person several days ago, she likes to write, mainly horror, s-f, fantasy.

SPREAD THE WORD!

Tubz
Jun 15, 2003, 01:28 PM
Well, majority of the community seemed to enjoy Zafitariers Quest I. I think it is worthy for the site.

4I Falcon
Jun 15, 2003, 05:33 PM
Incomplete stories are allowed on the site, right? I mean, if the author's still working on it?

If the preceding is true, then I'll gladly upload E:JF and SoT.

Coppertop
Jun 17, 2003, 12:30 PM
Should put Kovu's up there, even if he's NOT HERE.
Do mine qualify? I'm almost done Conquistar.

Tik
Jun 22, 2003, 03:14 PM
Stories in progress are allowed, but one author may only have two progressive stories active at once. One must be finished if they wish to submit something new.

If Kovu wants his stories up, then he can submit them. This site is going to have nothing to do with the Jazz community besides its first contributors stemming from it.

I haven't read any of Conquistar so I can't say. You'll have to submit it and see, though if the thread's length is any testimony I don't see why not...

Also, DS is no longer able to create the layout. If someone new can't be found soon I'll make something myself.