PDA

View Full Version : Be more Free!

ShadowGPW
Jun 11, 2003, 10:33 PM
Do we want more free on this board and less filterage like a sort of derby and a pizza? ;P

post yer ideas about it :D

Wild Angel
Jun 11, 2003, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I mean, stupid **** gets censored sometimes. It's like... Just... yeah.

`Wildie

Violet CLM
Jun 11, 2003, 11:27 PM
I'd prefer less, really. It's kind of scary what some people get away with.
And several Derbys (Derbies? Derblings?), of course, working shifts so the whole day is filtered.

Clarification edit: Less freedom. Not filters.

$tilettø
Jun 11, 2003, 11:32 PM
I dont realy care.. but I'd prefer less too i gues
less filtering that is.

Wild Angel
Jun 12, 2003, 12:44 AM
*chortles*

sorry

`Wildie

ShadowGPW
Jun 12, 2003, 12:56 AM
for me it should be alot less :)

Stijn
Jun 12, 2003, 01:07 AM
Yes! Down with censoring (-)!

Tik
Jun 12, 2003, 01:28 AM
I used to be obsessive about the filtering here and how it was dumb, but now I don't really care either way.

You should've made this a poll.

defalcon
Jun 12, 2003, 01:45 AM
One thing I find really stupid is acronym sensoring. ;P

ShadowGPW
Jun 12, 2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Spaztic
I used to be obsessive about the filtering here and how it was dumb, but now I don't really care either way.

You should've made this a poll.

maybe i will

Originally posted by defalcon
One thing I find really stupid is acronym sensoring. ;P

Absolutely

Worst part of all Derby and Pizza are the only ones that seem to like to edit it all specially words like *** / *** / (-) etc etc etc.. Thats really wasting time and getting people annoyed of the edits. To be honest, I really hate them :)

Yet i don't say all censors are bad but you can over do it to much..

Derby: Content edit.

sproedel
Jun 12, 2003, 02:43 AM
So, as it was said before, things like wtf and stuff shouldn't be edited anymore. Besides some words like the d-word for example shouldn't be edited either.

But total and senseless abuses of those words and offensive things shouldnt still be allowed.

ShadowGPW
Jun 12, 2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by dersproedel
So, as it was said before, things like wtf and stuff shouldn't be edited anymore. Besides some words like the d-word for example shouldn't be edited either.

But total and senseless abuses of those words and offensive things shouldnt still be allowed.

the d-word is everywhere acceptable but not in the American Region :P but that word is understandable then..

defalcon
Jun 12, 2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by ShadowGPW
Worst part of all Derby and Pizza are the only ones that seem to like to edit it all specially words like...
Oh, I'm not talking like that. I'm talking about an acronym that gets changed to 'LMBO'. That sortof stuff; point-blank stupid.

ShadowGPW
Jun 12, 2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by defalcon
Oh, I'm not talking like that. I'm talking about an acronym that gets changed to 'LMBO'. That sortof stuff; point-blank stupid.
indeed - btw you can vote now :P so vote :D

Hare
Jun 12, 2003, 02:56 AM
ah, yeah, some words are filtered that shouldn't, like (-), and (-), and... crap? Is crap edited? Dunno, 'cause if it is, I could like say, I have to take a crap, and people could think I said I was go.. Ok, bad example, bad example. They don't censor yiff, though :D hehe! They sensor (-) but don't sensor yiff. Isn't this a furry community?

Wow... That's a lot of (-) bad words!

Wild Angel
Jun 12, 2003, 03:17 AM
I checked the word filter. Some should still be filtered, though...

`Wildie

$tilettø
Jun 12, 2003, 04:04 AM
Why would they de-admin a good admin? =P,
You can check the world Filter? o...0
voted for 'Yes, acronym edits totally stopted and word filter disabled'

Feline
Jun 12, 2003, 06:04 AM
I prefer to leave it as it is.

Trafton
Jun 12, 2003, 06:23 AM
I do not think we should be the ones to decide.

I think that, for the most part, the filter is fine as it is. I honestly think that acronyms such as the ones used in this topic are stupid. They may not come out and say it, but they elude to being the words that they abbreviate. And no one actually believes that anyone would ever post "where's the fish?"

However, this brings me back to my original point...we, as members, really should not be the ones deciding anything.

~ Traft

..::Goldy::..
Jun 12, 2003, 06:50 AM
My fav smilie doesn't work cuz of it :B

http://www.woestforum.nl/forum/html/emoticons/****you.gif

sproedel
Jun 12, 2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Trafton
However, this brings me back to my original point...we, as members, really should not be the ones deciding anything.

~ Traft

Well, the Admins can vote too, cos they're also members.;)

VelKa
Jun 12, 2003, 07:14 AM
<i>Seriously</i>. I think we should lay off and go home. It's not like PiZZa's causing the end of the world by censoring words. He's only a moderator, for crying out loud. What's he going to do, turn the <i>whole</i> JCF into CensorLand? Huh? If you really don't like PiZZa, just don't post in the forums he moderates. It's actually fairly easy to avoid Clan Talk and Comedy Cafe. Basically, it seems like Derby is more of the "problem", if you want to call this a "problem". I don't see Derby as a problem most of the time; sure, he can get a little excited about censoring everything, but it is technically the poster's fault for posting it in the first place.

In any case, I think this whole debate is rather childish at best. Tell me, what's so hard about self-censoring yourself on one little board? If you want to cuss everyone out, go to another board and do so. Or make your own SwearHappy Community Forums. Better yet, go to #jj2 or #spiffyjuice. Look at VeggieMan, for example. How does he solve the problem he has with Derby and the censoring stuff? He goes <i>away</i>. I don't agree with everything Veg says, of course, but I do respect him for leaving the JCF, rather than staying and constantly whining about everything.

I used to have two severe problems with swearing (i.e., first I was freakish about censoring, and then suddenly I started screaming "WHAT THE BLEEP WAS THAT, BLEEP IT!!1111" all the time). However, with some discipline (sp.?), I got over those bad habits. I rarely feel a need to swear all the time online. If I want to say bad words, I will do so in an unmoderated place (i.e., #jj2, #spiffyjuice, my LiveJournal, or in a private conversation).

Realize that I am not offended by swearing. However, I must respect the rights of those who ARE offended by it, and self-censor myself to avoid getting them annoyed. Even if they are a minority here, they are still present in this vast assembly, and we cannot keep ignoring them.

That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree, yell at me, or ban me from the JCF. I can't say I care. However, if you want to start a fight, please ICQ me instead of fighting here. (#83487610).

*high-fives Shorty*

~velkasha

FQuist
Jun 12, 2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by ..::Goldy::..
My fav smilie doesn't work cuz of it :B

http://www.woestforum.nl/forum/html/emoticons/(-)you.gif

Just rename the smiley to another filename.

..::Goldy::..
Jun 12, 2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Fquist
Just rename the smiley to another filename.

Gotta upload it somewhere first :/

..Right?

Krezack
Jun 12, 2003, 07:43 AM
Yes, it "should" be less.

What I don't want is words like (////) being removed from the filter. While a may sometimes use those words myself in RL or on other boards, it goes like this: "two wrongs don't make a right".

I would prefer words like (-) and hell be removed form the filter (completely) and discretion used instead.

Example:
That was (-) fun. = okay, IMHO.
You're a (-) kraut = not okay, IMHO.

However, in the end it is collaborative administrative decision that I respect on this matter, not user collaborative user decision.

Oh, and I don't think '(-)' is any less severe than (-).

EDIT: Okay, why is (?) in the filter? You filter people's own filters now? O.o

Derby: Intolerable filter bypass removal. This has resulted in a warning. Refrain from filtering any words yourself.

VelKa
Jun 12, 2003, 08:57 AM
Krezack, you had better edit that post really quickly, or else Derby might give you a "Severe Filter Bypass" warning. I'm sure you wouldn't want that, of course. ;-P

~velkasha

Ninja
Jun 12, 2003, 09:00 AM
yeah, i agree acronyms suck.
and personally, I think the only word that should be filtered besides racial slurs is the f-word.

Fawriel
Jun 12, 2003, 10:47 AM
A LITTLE less censoring would be nice.

I personally don't swear a lot, I just like to say things like "****" or "What the HELL?". It just sounds better than "darn" or "What the heck?".
Erm, wait. What the heck sounds better.

Anyways, some things don't reallyhave to be censored...
Like acronyms. I mean, if someone knows what they mean, they are at an age they don't care anymore, either. If they don't know, there's no need to filter them.

SoulFirE
Jun 12, 2003, 11:16 AM
I voted "Yes, acronym edits totally stopted and word filter disabled" some hours ago.
But now I've thought it over and I'd say, what the (-)?! It doesn't matter that those things are censored, a intelligent person can do without those words.
(Altough I sometimes use a swear word, because it just gives some extra punch... in some occasions. Or when I'm just angry.)

Coppertop
Jun 12, 2003, 12:19 PM
I say leave it the way it is

It gets irritating to wade through stuff like that. And you could SERIOUSLY offend someone ...

Tubz
Jun 12, 2003, 12:31 PM
Yes, acronym edits totally stopted and word filter disabled.

Yeah, especially it's annoying when people consider ... a curse word. Oh yeah it would be nice to completely disable the filter. And make the rule, that you can not attack anyone.

Of course this might fail, considering all the people who voted to keep it the same.

Derby: Content removal.

Fawriel
Jun 12, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by JJ Tublear
Yes, acronym edits totally stopted and word filter disabled.

Yeah, especially it's annoying when people consider d... a curse word. Oh yeah it would be nice to completely disable the filter. And make the rule, that you can not attack anyone.

Of course this might fail, considering all the foos who voted to keep it the same.
You won't get any further by insulting them, you know...

And seriously, (-) is THE curse word. It's more a "curse" than any other word. (Except 'curse'. XP )
But then again, I know that's not of interest.
There should be an other definition for those words. ^^;

Derby: Previous quotation edit/Severe filter bypass removal. This has resulted in a subwarning. Do not do this again.

Tubz
Jun 12, 2003, 12:37 PM
Alright i'll edit it. AND YOU DON'T NEED TO QUOTE ME IF I'M THE LAST PERSON WHO POSTED. Man, that is so annoying!

Violet CLM
Jun 12, 2003, 12:40 PM
Alright i'll edit it. AND YOU DON'T NEED TO QUOTE ME IF I'M THE LAST PERSON WHO POSTED. Man, that is so annoying!
I agree! It just seems pointless.

I stand by my opinion that what is really needed is more censorhorses and less leniency.

Tubz
Jun 12, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by SoulFirE
I voted "Yes, acronym edits totally stopted and word filter disabled" some hours ago.
But now I've thought it over and I'd say, what the (-)?! It doesn't matter that those things are censored, a intelligent person can do without those words.
(Altough I sometimes use a swear word, because it just gives some extra punch... in some occasions. Or when I'm just angry.)

It has nothing to do with intelligence. At least the way it would be allowed, if the filter is gone. And dare tell me, that your parents have never cursed before. It's more like freedom, thus the topic name.

Tubz
Jun 12, 2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Unknown Rabbit
I agree! It just seems pointless.

I stand by my opinion that what is really needed is more censorhorses and less leniency.

You must hate #jj2 then. You're allowed to curse all you want there, as long as you don't abuse it as in meaning being annoying, or attacking people.

Fawriel
Jun 12, 2003, 12:44 PM
Wasn't Unknown the last who posted, Tublear?

Tubz
Jun 12, 2003, 12:47 PM
Yes, but that was a different post. If I just started talking about it, I doubt that he would remember. So I quoted Violet from several posts back.

Trafton
Jun 12, 2003, 01:37 PM
Ri, renamed or not, that smiley would be edited.

Now, can someone please explain to me why acronym edits are stupid? And do not say because no one can tell if they are really saying something else. Everyone uses that excuse, and no one, obviously, believes it.

~ Traft

Tubz
Jun 12, 2003, 02:17 PM
URJazz nice opinion. YOU WIN!!! And I claim page 2!

Trafton
Jun 12, 2003, 08:08 PM
URJazz nice opinion. YOU WIN!!! And I claim page 2!
"Nice opinion"? Pfft.

I still would like an answer to my query about why abbreviating bad words is any worse than coming out and saying them.

~ Traft

ShadowGPW
Jun 12, 2003, 10:23 PM
awesome who edited my poll witch examples :-/
Good Game who ever it did :/

Derby
Jun 12, 2003, 10:51 PM
This thread is prone to many offenses that users would otherwise have not received warnings for, as they had publicly protested. If there are any further problems, use the private messaging system to contact an administrator. Hopefully what was done here will not be repeated. This thread is now closed.

Lama
Jun 13, 2003, 12:02 AM
Closed?