PDA

View Full Version : Very strange computer problem

n0
Jul 17, 2003, 12:46 PM
When I boot my computer, it boots normaly and makes it to the Logon screen. I sign in, and it shows my desktop. I cannot click on anything, right clicking on the desktop doesn't work, and none of the keyboard comands do a thing.

I wait about twenty minutes with my computer on, and then my computer snaps back to life. Everything works perfectly.

This never happened before I had to re-format my HD and didn't happen for a week after I had to re-format my HD.

I am using win XP, I have a 1.6 Gig Athlon proscessor.

Please help!

`N0

Link
Jul 17, 2003, 12:59 PM
This has happened to me before, and might be because of a known bug that occurs in some Windows XP OEM systems.

See this article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=811428) for some information about it. Specifically, check your system event log for the two entries noted on that page (in red). If those are present, this is probably the issue.

Is your Windows XP install from a manufacturer or a manufacturer's rescue\reimage disc?
Or did you install XP yourself?

Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do to resolve this, if it is in fact the above issue. You may have some luck with the sysprep.exe program (should be on your Windows CD, if you have one), but that is a program really meant for OEMs and you could mess up the computer if you do something wrong.

n0
Jul 17, 2003, 01:10 PM
-=Edit=-
I found the System Event Log, and that is my problem, but I didn't use an OEM version of XP.

Thanks for the help.

`N0

n0
Jul 17, 2003, 06:09 PM
Well, I bought this version of XP off of ebay, and it looks like he sold me a OEM version. Thankyou much for the help, you nailed the problem down to the t.

I'll see if I can fix it now that we have all that worked out.

`N0