PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want Jazz's animations?

Nadine
Aug 5, 2003, 04:58 PM
Is anyone making a new character for the game lets say, right now (the animations), in preperation for adding it to the game at a later time? Or maybe you are afraid it wouldn't be worth the time and effort until you KNOW that you could ever add that character to the game?

Whether it be for Jazz 2, or for other fan games - for either mine or other people's uses, I still have those Jazz Jackrabbit animated gifs on my HD that I was making from before. Again, I don't know if anyone is around who remembers me anymore, but I was making a crappy level for the game made specifically for getting the animations via screenshots. For example, the background is all brown so that its easy to take the background out with one click. The level only has things in it that allow all the animations to be seen. So there are the vines, there is water to swim in, there is the smoking caterpillar, etc. I don't have all of them - I took a long break on getting them, but if anyone could use Jazz's animations for something, it would inspire me to continue to get them from the game. I'm not going to do Spaz or Lori just yet. I'm approximately half done, but I only have one set of idle animations done.

I was doing this because I wanted to have a collection of all his animations, so that it would be easier for me to make Sonic the Hedgehog playable in the game. I was thinking of also doing Tails and maybe someone else (I have to work out what moves they could have that would match the Jazz characters). So far, it seems easy enough. Tails would play just like Jazz and Sonic would play just like Spaz. Lori could be.... maybe Cream (the new character). Atleast one rabbit should be in there, and she's also a girl too. ;-)

I've never attempted a fan game before, and I am really more of a character artist/animator, so that is the aspect of games that I am in college for. But for fun, I wanted to make the Sonic characters for Jazz 2, since I am a very huge Sonic fan, and I wanted to add more characters to Jazz 2 for online play.

I realise it might not be worth it if we don't ever see the source code or similar modding tools for a long long time. But atleast if I start to work on it now, it won't take too long to add the characters to the game once we do have the source code and people learn how to edit it. Ofcourse for now, all I have is some of Jazz's animations. So if you want me to continue, or if you want what I have right now (you can ask for specific animations), PM me. Otherwise, we can talk about this subject here.

I sure hope those tools will be available at some point not too far off. Doesn't Epic care about the franchise at all anymore? :(

Hare
Aug 5, 2003, 07:40 PM
It is kind of rediculous that the source code for Quake is out (the source code I saw was the one for the shareware version), but Epic isn't willing to part with the Jazz source (and Jazz is much less popular than quake)... Do they know we would like the source code yet? Maybe they don't think anyone would be interested?

KRSplat
Aug 6, 2003, 06:44 AM
They know. Numerous people have e-mailed source code requests and none have have gotten them.

Nitro
Aug 25, 2003, 02:44 AM
They know. Numerous people have e-mailed source code requests and none have have gotten them.
Why?

Krezack
Sep 5, 2003, 03:52 AM
Because they are making another Jazz game. It's standard practice - you don't release related material which you can now potentially get money off again.