PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitors, Jazz2, and other low-res games

Turtleslayer
Aug 8, 2003, 01:35 PM
So, I'm thinking of buying an (is that "an" or "a"?) LCD monitor. One of the things I'm worried about is the ability (or lack thereof) of LCDs to display stuff at lower than their native resolution. 15" LCDs have a native resolution of 1024X768, while 17" LCDs have one of 1280X1024. I hear stuff tends to look blurry at resolutions any lower, as images must be stretched to conform to the LCD's fixed number of pixels.

Has anyone tried playing Jazz2 or other low-resolution games with an LCD monitor? If you have, what did you think? Was the picture quality poor enough to disincline you from playing such games in the future on LCDs, or passable enough for it not to be a real issue? What display size and monitor did you use?

Any recommendations on what LCD to buy are also welcome. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Edit: Err. Now that I think of it, I probably should have put this in "Miscellaneous Stuff." Is it okay to cross-post?

Blackraptor
Aug 8, 2003, 02:05 PM
I have played jj2 on a Samsung LCD monitor, and still am occasionally (my other computer). For me it works just fine.

Cpp
Aug 9, 2003, 12:27 AM
So, I'm thinking of buying an (is that "an" or "a"?) LCD monitor. One of the things I'm worried about is the ability (or lack thereof) of LCDs to display stuff at lower than their native resolution. 15" LCDs have a native resolution of 1024X768, while 17" LCDs have one of 1280X1024. I hear stuff tends to look blurry at resolutions any lower, as images must be stretched to conform to the LCD's fixed number of pixels.

Has anyone tried playing Jazz2 or other low-resolution games with an LCD monitor? If you have, what did you think? Was the picture quality poor enough to disincline you from playing such games in the future on LCDs, or passable enough for it not to be a real issue? What display size and monitor did you use?

Any recommendations on what LCD to buy are also welcome. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Edit: Err. Now that I think of it, I probably should have put this in "Miscellaneous Stuff." Is it okay to cross-post?

Yea. I have an 17" LCD with 1280*1024 resolution Jazz plays just fine. When I run fast the level gets a bit blurred but I can still see everything. You'll get used to it. My LCD response time is below 15 ms so it's pretty fast. And before you buy just any LCD make sure it's 17" and that you test the display first - run a notepad and type some characters in there then make sure they have sharp edges (look at close). If they are blurred then it's a low-quality LCD. Don't buy it. Mine are pretty sharp and I'm quite satisfied with my LCD. It's a NEC-MITSUBISHI LCD1701 model if you're interesterd. I think its price was around $600 if I'm calculating correctly.

Turtleslayer
Aug 9, 2003, 03:37 AM
It's a NEC-MITSUBISHI LCD1701 model if you're interesterd. I think its price was around $600 if I'm calculating correctly.

Yikes. Looking on websites it doesn't seem to be available in the States, though. I was thinking of buying the NEC LCD1760V. Maybe it uses the same screen.

Newspaz
Aug 9, 2003, 03:39 AM
Jazz1 and 2 run perfectly on my IIyama TFT screen.