PDA

View Full Version : A short story by me.

Strato
Sep 9, 2003, 08:01 PM
Never ever listen to helet shake for more than 30 minutes, lest you suffer the same fate as I did last night. My minor case of sadness has passed thanks to writing this story. Hope you enjoy.

Journal of a fallen hero

A short story by Infinite Spaz

"It had been 3 days ago when I was last home." Nodra wrote down. " Now, I'm left with nothing. My town has been burned, and my friends have been slain. My family reduced to ashes. My love Visar is now particles floating around the air. I have nothing. And I can blame this all on them. Telse will record the story of their arrival if he is still alive. The rescue shuttle left hours ago. I was considered flawed, because I was tainted. Now I have returned to my home town. And I want revenge. I came to the gate and saw the town gaurd Andy crucified to a wall with large spines. His blood staining the familiar road back into town. I looked around. The forest which was once full of life laid burnt and dead. The sky was the color of char, and my town was still burning with their blight. The town glowed with a green ethereal flame which would never die out. I was already tainted and would become one of them within hours. I figured I didn't have much to lose so I readied my blaster, and charged into the town. I heard no noise but I knew they were there. Hiding. Watching. Judging my every move. Deciding when the best time to strike would be. I was already starting to go insane. I could no longer tell who my enemy or friend was, so I figured to shoot everything in sight. A flash of movement to my left. I turned and fired with pinpoint accuracy. The lowly drone creature exploded into green blood which showered on the ground at my feet. Suddenly I was surrounded by the drones. The small creatures were less than a foot tall, 8 legged monstrasitys. They were blind, but instead found their enemies by feeding on their fear. Luckily I'm not afraid anymore. I picked them off one by one and was actually bored. 1 week ago I would have been terified. But one week ago I actually cared. I won't remember my loved one by how she looked when we fought side by side on the battle field. I will remember her smile, and how she looked when she laughed and tossed around her hair like she always did. But none of that matters now becuase she is gone and I am effectivly dead. I sighed and looked around the village. My house was rubble on the ground, and the local town shop was being infested with Wurms. These Wurms would reduce entire mountains into their elemental states to be used by their horde. I began to shoot at them until they were nothing but puddles of flaming blood on the floor. I walked down main street shooting at drones and Wurms, hoping to find real enemies to test me in my final hour. I had my wish granted. Shortly after my kill count was somewhere up in the Hundreds, large ant-like beasts began to lumber down towards me. They were covered in points as sharp as daggers, and have been known to pierce the strongest armors with ease. No match for the invincible Nodra. I raised my blaster and shot at them in the faces. There brains spilled out on the road and the returned fire at me. Their spines missed me by as much as 5 feet. I continued to fire on them as they shot their spines, until they were no more. I felt something strange after I was trough with them. I looked down and saw a 7 foot spine going straight through my stomach. Focusing really hard, I began to heal myself until the spine itself snapped in half and my wound was almost gone. Regaining my strength I looked around. A large horned hoofed creature was flying towards me. I figured it was their general so I stood up and began firing on it. It returned with a volley of tainted green-black fire balls. They all hit their mark, but I didn't care. I ran towards a nearby group of barrels and continued to fire at it. It spewed a great fire plume right onto me. I began to go through the symptoms again. Hallucination, Hemorrhaging, Vomiting, Insanity. Been there done that. The great Demon repeated the attack on me. The details are fuzzy after this, for I can't seem to remember what happened. When I came to it was morning, and the demon lay across the floor dead. I myself was already under going to transformation. My left arm was partially morphed into that of a crab or something of the sort, and I was already sprouting wings. My skin began to turn green and I started to lose my fur. Knowing what I must do know, I bid farewell to you all. I will never see Visar again, for I won't be joining her in death. Good luck Telse."

Nodra closed his journal and put down his pen. He picked up his blaster, muttered his last rites, aimed it at his temple, and pulled the trigger.

Radium
Sep 10, 2003, 02:28 AM
Wow. Sounds a bit like the end of a story. Quite good though.

Fawriel
Sep 10, 2003, 06:06 AM
..wow.

Pretty good.. and gory. o_o;;

Violet CLM
Sep 10, 2003, 10:34 AM
Sounds a bit like the end of a story.
Not really. A story ending with this would feel too much like two seperate things glued together. It's stand-alone.

Radium
Sep 10, 2003, 11:32 AM
Not really. A story ending with this would feel too much like two seperate things glued together. It's stand-alone.
Or maybe one of those stories that puts the end at the start *coughATWFFcough*.

4I Falcon
Sep 10, 2003, 11:46 AM
No, I can agree with Radium on this one. It does sound like the epilogue of either a really long story with lots of trials and tribulations, or the end of a trilogy, also with lots of problems and stuff.

On reread, it might work if there was a bit less recap in the journal entry. All these things could happen across the span of a moderate-length story, and then the entry without the recap would be used as an epilogue. Besides, suicide is a very final way to end many things, including stories and lives.

But don't get me wrong on this. Suicide also starts a generous number of problems. If Nodra was the last of his kind, one with no one to look to for help, then I could understand him ventilating his brain. However, I have two friends who recently considered giving themselves a nice, warm hole in their respective skulls, and after those two traumatic experiences I don't think I'm ever going to look at death, suicide, or life itself the same way again. I doubt they are either. Fortunately, with the help of some others, I was able to help to stop them from taking their own lives; ironically, the person who helped me stop the other the first time was the person threating his own life the second, and for the other person, vice versa.

It makes you wonder about the human mind, doesn't it? We, as a race, were born to survive and thrive and reproduce and grow and expand, but there will always be those certain individuals who consider themselves unworthy to be part of the gene pool. What's even worse is, if they don't have anyone around to tell them that they are valuable as people, then they often go through with it, and end up hanging from a fourth-story balcony with an extension cord tied around their neck.

I've had suicidal thoughts before, myself, but they were over trivial things. School was a major factor in my want to look for something beyond this existential plane. However, after two of my grandparents, four of my pets, and one of my best friends gave up their lives in exchange for eternal peace, I have a better grasp on how much one person can mean to everyone around him.

Note: That friend that I mentioned above? Yeah. He committed suicide on May 21, 1999. He was found with a bloody knife in his hand, lying on the kitchen floor of his house. I had known him for three years, but I had never expected him to actually want to take his own life. He didn't seem like the kind of person who would even think about ultimate sacrifice, let alone think about making it himself.

That's one of the reasons why I'm so averse to suicide. Because it's something that, once done, can never be undone. It's an irreversible change, and once you're done, you can't change your mind.

Food for thought.

Oh, and did I mention that I like the story? After all that sermonizing I suppose I forgot. Sorry.

Radium
Sep 10, 2003, 11:59 AM
Food for thought.
Mmm, food.

Canada... strange place up there, no?

4I Falcon
Sep 10, 2003, 12:17 PM
Mmm, food.

Canada... strange place up there, no?

It's not us that's strange. It's the rest of the world. We're just poorly understood.

acid
Sep 10, 2003, 03:12 PM
Wait, so Helmet shake is Medivo? Or what? I'm not sure. But the story is interesting. I'm not much one for dark stories, but I actually liked this one. Dark stories like these can be a breath of fresh air from the OMGHAPPYHAPPY^_^<3 stories.

Radium
Sep 10, 2003, 03:19 PM
Dark stories like these can be a breath of fresh air from the OMGHAPPYHAPPY^_^<3 stories.Tell that to Faw. In bold, itallic, underlined text.

acid
Sep 10, 2003, 03:25 PM
you mean like this?

Dark stories like these can be a breath of fresh air from the OMGHAPPYHAPPY^_^<3 stories.

Fawriel
Sep 10, 2003, 03:42 PM
Tell that to Faw. In bold, itallic, underlined text.
Now what the heck is that supposed to mean?

Violet CLM
Sep 10, 2003, 09:38 PM
He means you should be told something, like this.
In bold, like this.
Italic, like this.
Underlined, even.
And not only that, they should all be used at once to tell you a single thing... something about happy stories.

Fawriel
Sep 11, 2003, 01:01 AM
Uh...huh...... okaaaay....

4I Falcon
Sep 11, 2003, 11:36 AM
Sigh... a perfectly good rant gone to waste...

Ducky
Sep 13, 2003, 08:51 AM
That was pretty awesome, man. I liked how he bagan transmogrifying in the end.

Coppertop
Sep 15, 2003, 09:38 AM
rux0r