PDA

View Full Version : New Jazzer X concept art

Hare
Oct 25, 2003, 03:14 AM
I was sketcing with my tablet and a new program a friend gave me called, "Open Canvas" Here's a nice JX image I made...

http://purrhead.thj.no/JazzerX/sketches/JX-Sketch001.jpg

Then I made this one...

http://purrhead.thj.no/JazzerX/sketches/Jazzer%20X%20Profile.jpg

And then I shaded it...

http://purrhead.thj.no/JazzerX/sketches/Jazzer%20X%20Profile%20shaded.jpg

Then I had this idea to display weapon statistics in a color spectrum. Kind of a compact and easy way to keep track of all weapons.

http://purrhead.thj.no/JazzerX/sketches/JX-Weapon_Spectrum_10-25-03.jpg

This is some stuff I thought up about the weapon spectrum...
The spectrum is pretty neat because it shows all weapons and the ammo types the weapons use. It also shows how much ammo each weapon has. Furthermore, it shows the different energies and what energy counters the other. I was thinking opposite colors of the spectrum do most damage to eachother, but I can see that only makes sense to someone who knows the spectrum... And again, it is also kind of wierd because fire and watter aren't opposites on that guage. I was also thinking that the spectrum can only show the weapons on the current map when in multiplayer mode, so players know what weapons MODs to look out for (MODs modify a weapon so it can fire a certain ammo). The weapon spectrum shows the weapons you have as a lit icon, and a darkened icon as a weapon that you don't own the MOD for. White (or light) energy is for special attacks. I was thinking that it can be a wild card and good for any weapon MOD, but I remembered I needed a guage for special attacks.

The weapon spectrum idea isn't a final idea or anything. Actually there's some stuff that needs to be taken care of before lots of work is done on grapics and other things, but I like thinking stuff up anyways. :)

Fawriel
Oct 25, 2003, 08:51 AM
<s>Das ist heißer Scheiß. Bitte kaufen gehen.</s>

Nifty stuff thar.

Strato
Oct 25, 2003, 09:47 AM
What exactly is this game anyway?

Hare
Oct 25, 2003, 05:42 PM
Oh, it is a game I'm working on. I'd like to make it an open project some day. :) There's not a lot I can say about it except right now I've got 3 character classes, a nice selection of multiplayer modes, a list of weapons, and a few worlds typed up. It isn't the most complete collection of ideas, though. I want to make it with 3D Game Studio. :)

It is another Jazz inspired game idea, like what Onag is doing with Mechaius. *chuckles* If you don't know what Mechaius is, you can check the Opposum Forest. ^_^ There's quite a lot of stuff going on there.

Strato
Oct 25, 2003, 08:23 PM
...Ok...that told me nothing about the game itself. What genre is it? Is it 2d or 3d?

Hare
Oct 25, 2003, 10:29 PM
3D, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have a sidescroller mode available too. Sidescroller mode would require less bandwidth I imagne, so it would be suitable for 56k users. It is going to be a platformer, too.

Captain Spam
Oct 26, 2003, 02:25 PM
Ah... see, that helps quite a bit, as I was quite in the dark as to what this whole project of yours was in the first place, too... :-)

OpenCanvas... I seem to recall this program from a while back. A somewhat standalone multi-user drawing program (or it at least has the ability to do so)? Anyhoo, the pics do look cool, at any rate. A real sorta hand-sketched look to them.

And whatever you wind up doing with the whole Jazzer X thing, I'd be willing to help if and when I ever get some practice in game coding (I'm working on it once I've got spare time)...

Sun Fun Dude
Oct 27, 2003, 08:57 PM
I like the wepon inventory system.

Onag
Oct 29, 2003, 12:47 PM
This weapon spectrum idea is great. Very nice way of organizing things. I'm looking forward to more info on this. Let me know if you need any help in making this thing public.

-Nag

Hare
Oct 29, 2003, 06:43 PM

I'd go more into detail on it, but Cliffy B. has been known to read the JCF at moments. As much as I like Epic Games, I'd rather not share my ideas with a big company, if my ideas are something I want to use for my own porject. I've heard some bad stories of companies stealing ideas. LOL, enough of my ideas are realized by companies even without me saying a word. They don't steal them or anything, they just think them up too. Its not like a spectrum like this hasn't been made or anything, and maybe it isn't such a big deal anyways. I guess I just want to be able to make something unique is all.

Sharing stuff with friends is ok. But companies, most of the time, only care about money and recognition.

Captain Spam
Oct 29, 2003, 10:40 PM
Someone from Epic cares about us? You must be mistaken. ;-)

Though that's understandable, really, that you'd rather not say your ideas publically. The REAL trick is to come up with ideas so unique and outlandish that big corporations don't have the guts to try 'em. THAT'S how you do it. :-)

I'm still willing to help if you need it. I need something to work on to get my skills going. I've got ideas of my own I wanna code sometime...

Hare
Oct 30, 2003, 03:28 AM
Okay. I just need to establish a base of operations and a foundation before the ball starts rolling.